The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

does Boss 302 have special wheel nuts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I bought a used (barely used) boss 302 and its at the dealer to have the tpms sensors replaced. Anyway, they say they can't get the rims off because they have a special nut on it, and they can't find anything in the car that would match the nuts (like lock nut key). I can't find anything about this on any forum or search. Is there a special key to get the nuts off? IF not, what socket does one need to get them off? (sitting here without my mustang....)

thanks!

I used a regular deep socket, don't recall the size off hand but it was a standard size. If it is a funky looking nut, then that is aftermarket. They make special tools for pulling them off, there are various types, but the shop should have one.

If they send you a pic and you post it then maybe we could help.

They must have been replaced because the Boss has the same lug nuts as any other Mustang. It uses a standard 13/16" deep socket.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I put gorilla spline lugs on mine to help prevent wheel theft (live in the ghetto) maybe thats what they are looking for. do they look like these?
http://images-ftp.americanmuscle.com/common/pages/viewer-enlarged.php?sku=76130&name=Chrome%25206%2520Spline%2520Lug%2520Nuts%2520%2879-13%2520All%29&thumbs=76130,76130_alt1,76130_alt2,76130_alt3,76130_alt4&selectedImg=76130_alt2

yes they do! I am trying to attach a pic of my rims and lock nuts for you to see. I'll contact American Muscle tomorrow and see if they can help. are all the lock nuts the same? how would they know I am not a bad guy, trying to steal someone's rims? thanks!

Boss manual says 100ft lbs. Anyway, here is a pic of the lugnuts that I have on my car. I think they are the Gorilla type, but they have 3 types of 6 spline. Not sure how to figure out which size I have. Anyway, here's the shot
p476073-3.jpg

mbraun said:
Boss manual says 100ft lbs. Anyway, here is a pic of the lugnuts that I have on my car. I think they are the Gorilla type, but they have 3 types of 6 spline. Not sure how to figure out which size I have. Anyway, here's the shot
p476073-3.jpg
Are those lugs rated for this?

Justin

well if you go to your local parts stores they usually carry spline drive lugnuts and you can just buy a set to get the socket you need. give it a try and if doesnt fit return it. Gorilla isnt the only people that make them

thanks. Had not thought a key for these lug nuts would be actually easy to find. Aren't they supposed to stop the rims from being stolen? (maybe thieves don't know how easy it is?) The last set of theft proof lug nuts i had on a car, had a crazy pattern on them that was supposed to be hard to duplicate. (and getting a replacement key, very difficult) Will check out some local parts shops or see if anyone carries the Gorilla brand nearby.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
An option. although not a great one, is to hammer a socket over the lock and remove.

In my younger years, I worked at a dealership. Many times we would take in a car with locking lugs and no key.

We took a socket which fit ovet the majority of the key, trial and error, and hammered it over the lock. Then attached either a breaker bar or impact wrench and removed the lock. Then throw away the lock and either replace with a new lock, With Key or a lug nut.

Not a great solution, I know. The number of possible variations to locking lug keys is probably in the hundreds. Finding the number, if stamped on the nut, is nearly impossible for many locks. The number is usually on the side. The Boss wheel design will make seeing the number impossible.

Hope you find this helpful.

Good luck with the locks.

Enjoy your BOSS. It's a great ride. ;D

another good idea, but all 20 nuts are spline type. It looks like Gorilla sells 3 kinds of spline keys, whereas the other lock nuts I'm used to, had crazy patterns and was one per wheel. Hopefully I can find a spline key that will work for all 20... Have to wait til Monday to investigate though.

TMSBOSS said:
An option. although not a great one, is to hammer a socket over the lock and remove.

BMW dealer lost my lug key (it was in a little baggie with the car key when I handed it to them) and then called me and said I never gave it to them. It was the one key they did not have in their set and it would take a few days to get a replacement... and I had to leave for a 500 mile round trip driving my nephew's boyscout troop the next day (had a break down, wasn't just late maintenance ). They ended up doing something similar to that (they had a special tool that looked like it had fingers in it) after I went down there and yelled at them for a while, then put on a new different set and put a key on it... but it was for the wrong size lug wrench (X5 has a bigger size than the regular cars).

TL;DR yeah they can do it but it is a pita and they will probably scratch the holes in the rims around the lugs. Try the auto parts store to see if they have the right ones.

mbraun said:

Total optical illusion, looks like it is a hole :eek:

Justin

I have used them on a lot of my cars. And all of them seem to fit each other. No wheel lock is 100% theft proof. I figure if they want them bad enough they will take them. Seeing the splines would make most thieves move on to another car instead of messing with them cause they typical are after the easiest quick theft vs working hours to get the wheels and possibly get caught.

If you want to really ruin their day get the spine drive lug nuts and run a set of mcgard lugnuts that would be two keys for them to mess with.

Yeeehaaaa! All solved! I found a shop in my home city that carried the Gorilla style sockets and went and picked up one for $10 and it fits! Thanks a lot guys, now to see if they can fix my tpms issues and the 5th and 6th gear grind when the transmission is cold. Did anyone have their oil TSB done and it fix the grinds??

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
mbraun said:
Yeeehaaaa! All solved! I found a shop in my home city that carried the Gorilla style sockets and went and picked up one for $10 and it fits! Thanks a lot guys, now to see if they can fix my tpms issues and the 5th and 6th gear grind when the transmission is cold. Did anyone have their oil TSB done and it fix the grinds??

Glad to hear you were able to find a soltion....$10.00...Cool.

I did have the TSB for the oil performed by Ford. Did it improve cold shifting? Yes it did. It's free except for the time it wll take. Others have changes fluids for after market such as red line and Royal Purple. I have considered this change. Second is still a little stiff but greatly improved after the TSB. Grinding is gone, just a little stiff when cold....find of like the owner.

Justin

glad you found a wheel lock. I just switched to Redline MTL last week and I have no grinding in any gears....then again I didnt before I switched. I would take it to the dealer under warranty work just to get it documented incase it is like the one guy where it was internal damage to the synchro that was causing the grinding.

TMO Supporting Vendors