The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

does the LS Splitter unbalance the handling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My bad, I thought he stated he wasn't sure if he had the correct spoiler. I haven't had my coffee yet this morning... :p

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
That's OK, I use that line myself with the Mrs. all the time. ;D She, on the otherhand, says it's just 'old age' ::)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the seller has been very good to deal with. he will honor a return if its the wrong part. he had it drop shipped from ford, so its on them to tell me what i have. he got me in contact with ford directly and they are scratching their heads. i sent them pics last night to help them identify it. i think it has to be a 2013 LS splitter, since that is the only other splitter they offer.

on another note, i have been thinking a lot about the vented hood. this past track weekend was hot and the car got really hot after about 15 minutes and i had to pit in to get her cooled down. did that 3 out of 4 sessions. i read about the retrictive grill being the issue. i carved out all of my dead end holes and figured out how to make my fog lights easily removable for the track. that should take care of airflow in. now theres more of a concern with airflow out...and the possible additional front end lift with the high(er) pressure area under the hood. i like my stock hood and not worrying about my engine drowning in the rain. i was thinking maybe there was another way to improve airflow through the engine bay. has anyone tried removing the gasket at the cowl? or maybe altering the cowl itself to allow more air out?

maybe i just need to put on my engineer hat and find a small increment pressure meter to place in the engine bay and test ideas.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
1) Add Red line water wetter
2) PM Cloud9 on the effectiveness of that vented hood. My: understanding is its not very effective as far as heat goes....

GA
pufferfish said:
well, i picked up the LS rear spoiler and got it on with little trouble. then moved to the front to install the LS splitter and bolt holes arent anywhere near where they should be. there's also a set of contoured pieces bolted to the top of the splitter that don't line up with any of my bodywork. so, i went to the track without the splitter on :mad:

i am wondering if i got a 2013 LS splitter. i can't find any pics or install instructions for it to determine if that is what i have. does anyone have one here that they can add pics of (not installed) so i can confirm? i belive i may be stuck with it as i bought it on ebay and they say "no returns", but it is clearly not the part number they sold me. i contacted them, so we will see.

I watched my '12 OEM LS spoiler being installed. It was like a puzzle in 17 pieces that were either screwed or 3M taped together (there is an aftermarket version out there for half the price which is one piece). The guy used the template to drill the addiitional holes but he had to "adjust" some of them a little by drilling them oblong to get the spolier to fit right. I think part of the problem was that he had the template on the trunk in the sun for a while and it distorted it slightly.

The California Special comes with the LS spoiler and with a small front splitter, so I doubt it unsettles the car. If it did Ford would have to put a warning out, which I have not seen. My GT with the LS splitter and Boss front street splitter made the car handle great on the track. I feel much more confident at high speed now. At Ludicrous Speed that might be a different story though. ;)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
[/quote]

I watched my '12 OEM LS spoiler being installed. It was like a puzzle in 17 pieces that were either screwed or 3M taped together (there is an aftermarket version out there for half the price which is one piece). The guy used the template to drill the addiitional holes but he had to "adjust" some of them a little by drilling them oblong to get the spolier to fit right. I think part of the problem was that he had the template on the trunk in the sun for a while and it distorted it slightly.

The California Special comes with the LS spoiler and with a small front splitter, so I doubt it unsettles the car. If it did Ford would have to put a warning out, which I have not seen. My GT with the LS splitter and Boss front street splitter made the car handle great on the track. I feel much more confident at high speed now. At Ludicrous Speed that might be a different story though. ;)

[/quote]

i did buy an aftermarket LS pedestal spoiler and it was in 1 piece. the 4 holes that mounted my original lip spoiler were really close to working on the pedestal and only required to be drilled out a bit to work. once it was located on the existing holes, the 4 front holes were easy to locate. drilling proved a bit challenging though. the decklid structure was in the way of the holes, so large access holes had to be drilled to get the bolts through. a step drill took care of that one pretty easily, but it looks terrible. i need to find plugs to fill the unsightly holes in the underside of my deklid.

to be clear, though, its not the LS pedestal spoiler that is a concern for unbalancing the car, its the LS splitter (plastic table top mounted under the front fascia).

GA
to be clear, though, its not the LS pedestal spoiler that is a concern for unbalancing the car, its the LS splitter (plastic table top mounted under the front fascia).
[/quote]

Oh yeah, I see that now - my bad. :-[

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
FRPP confirmed that i have a 2013 LS Splitter. they are going to send a call ticket to return it, so they can send me back the right one. glad they are taking a proactive role in this matter.

TMO Supporting Vendors