The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

does the LS Splitter unbalance the handling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i was talking to a BOSS owner at the track a while back and he mentioned that he heard that installing the Laguna Seca splitter without the LS rear wing, would unbalance the car. he didn't know in what respect, uneven grip front to rear in corners or instability in a fast straight.

can anyone verify this? i just bought the LS splitter for fitment testing on my tow bracket and intended to install it for the track, but i only have the little lip spoiler. i have a track event in 2 weeks i wouldn't mind trying it out on, but i don't want to make the car handle worse and end up in trouble.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Reportedly the LS splitter creates 75 lbs of downforce. The downforce created is not a single point force, it is balanced across most of the underside of the car, primarily at the front but not limited to in front of or even at the front wheels.

I assume you are thinking of installing one on a non-LS Boss 302 (which has different springs/dampers than an LS). It is hard to say if the additional downforce would also cause the car to 'raise it's tail' accordingly, however I am doubtful that it would do so to such an extent that you would lose the benefits of the splitter. This is only a guess, others have may more imperical info to make a valid counter argument ;D

I do know that it is high recommended to NOT install the 302S rear wing without both the LS splitter as well as a vented front hood. This is understandable since the wing creates 250 lbs of downforce and it is concentrated at the rear wheels.

Can you return the LS splitter and get the WC splitter instead? It's smaller, provides slightly less downforce and costs $200 less. Regardless unless you're a pro driver you may not be able to tell the difference and if you could it would only be an high speeds, at a minimum of 80+ MPH. I have the LS rear spoiler but never tracked my car without it. The LS spoiler has more downforce than stock and slightly more than the GT500.

Maybe a better question is why are you installing it and what if any rear spoiler do you have?

Pete he has a BBP GT.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i would like to make use of the investment for a few reasons. first, i designed my tow hook bracket to work with it. second, the LS splitter garners more attention, thus more eyes drawn to my tow hook ;D third, i am by no means a pro, but i am a vetran driver (and instructor), so i would like to see some more confidence in my front end not washing out in the high speed turns of the tracks i frequent.

curious, what does the vented 302R hood do that it is a requirement for the reas wing and splitter?

also, suprised that the dinner table-sized splitter generates only 75lbs of downforce. do you happen to know at what MPH that force is generated?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
The vented hood creates a lower pressure zone in the front of the car, helping to keep the nose down at high speeds. My understanding is that if it is not present the LS splitter alone is not enough to balance the high downforce created by the 302S wing, so the rear wing actually ends up raising the front end.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
AHHH. that makes sense. i wonder, though, if the high underhood pressure is created because of the LS splitter, or is present even without?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
pufferfish said:
AHHH. that makes sense. i wonder, though, if the high underhood pressure is created because of the LS splitter, or is present even without?

Like 5DOT0 said, it's not dependent on the splitter. The vented hood just gives the hot under-hood air exiting the radiator and being heated by the engine a place to escape. Warm air rises, cool air descends, and with the stock hood there is nowhere for the hot air to go, hence front end lift.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
so, if i'm getting this right...the vented hood alone will increase front end downforce by reducing front end lift?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
You guys may be 100% correct, but I do believe that the hood (becuase it allows trapped air to pass through it) presents a lower pressure zone at the front of the car due to less turbulence. If that's true, it's assisting the air splitter, who's job it is to present a less turbulent airlflow under the vehicle. I am fairly certain that I've read that the 302S rear wing should be paired up with the vented hood and not without it. Not sure if Tiger Racing said that or not, but they would have a definitive answer on this.

In any event, and even more importantly, the WC splitter is for wimps. ;D LOL

(go ahead, I'm waiting... ::) )

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
PeteInCT said:
In any event, and even more importantly, the WC splitter is for wimps. ;D LOL

(go ahead, I'm waiting... ::) )

Wanna race? :) Open invitation to visit the Southwest...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
We may never know. At one point I was very gung-ho about signing up for iRacing, until I found out that you have to pay to unlock features/tracks/cars, plus a monthly subscription fee. No thanks.

Not sure anyone is still interested in the original question, but per the 2012 Boss 302 Supplement page 37 if the LS front splitter is installed on a Standard Boss then the LS rear spoiler should be installed to maintain aerodynamic balance. No downforce specs are given, just the recommendation. I so...want to add both, but the kids college fund is getting low.

TMO Supporting Vendors