The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

don't make this 3 valve mistake with water pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I thought that I would be pro active and swap out my water pump, thermostat and radiator cap before I headed to PA to pick up the car. I had never had an issue with this truck until I headed to PA. In SC the truck overheated, and I was able to drive around the issue, then it settled down the rest of the way. After picking up the Mustang, and driving it around Pa in the 50 degree temps, I headed back to FLA. The vehicle ran fine, but the temps were in the 60s or in the rain until the next day. As soon as I hit the Fla border and 90 degrees the temps went crazy again. Once more, I drove around the issue until I got home. Everything seemed to go back to normal until a trip to Tampa (without a trailer) and on the way back (75 miles) it started overheating again..what a PITA. The only thing left was the water pump, so I ordered a Motorcraft pump (since there are no Ford dealers around here). I should've checked the difference the first time I installed the unit made by Sung Chin firework flu and water pump factory in China to the stock Ford pump, but I didn't. So here's the difference, and it appears that the problem has been fixed, I made a 50 mile tow a couple of days ago and the temp gauge never went over 185 and it was in the mid 90s.
So beware of off brand parts.
Motorcraft part on the left, brand X on the right.

8OQLixgl.jpg

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Buy once, cry once I suppose. Weird, I've never had issues with overheating with mine, even at Willow Springs in summer. I must not be trying hard enough. Glad you got it sorted though and thanks for highlighting the differences.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Does the aftermarket pump have an aluminum body or is it cast? Looks like aluminum in your picture, but trying to find out what’s different. The aftermarket shows 2 pumps for the same application - one has the vane style impeller, and the other the open blade style. The only difference in description is the vane style pump specifically says aluminum housing. Not all aftermarket parts are created equal, and Motorcraft isn’t necessarily OE in every case. I just have to ask - where did Brand X come from?

Does the aftermarket pump have an aluminum body or is it cast? Looks like aluminum in your picture, but trying to find out what’s different. The aftermarket shows 2 pumps for the same application - one has the vane style impeller, and the other the open blade style. The only difference in description is the vane style pump specifically says aluminum housing. Not all aftermarket parts are created equal, and Motorcraft isn’t necessarily OE in every case. I just have to ask - where did Brand X come from?
sorry I didn't see this earlier, both are cast aluminum, the one from Sung Chin firework, flu and water pump company doesn't have a shielded impeller.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel