The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

DOT Wants Cars To Communicate To Each Other

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm not sure what to think of this. As a guy that likes to fly low and avoid the radar I'm worried that they can use this data to hand out speeding tickets without anyone ever seeing you. There are plenty of other implications as well. Have fun discussing this but please try and keep politics out of this.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1090113_dot-wants-communicating-cars-to-curtail-crashes

rtation-vehicle-to-vehicle-v2v-program_100349712_m.jpg

They will just screw it up like they did hiring Michele's friend to create the health care website for hundreds of millions when Google could have done it in a year for a few mil. Idiots. BTW, I am VERY willing to bet those making the push will demand that their personal cars are not equipped with this. Carpetbaggers.

Wouldn't it be fun to hack in to this with a UAV. I can see your personal car having a radar avoidance system as a last ditch buffer zone but vehicles communicating back and forth is bad news. They have already hack into a Prius and took control of some functions. Passing bad data could or RF interference between cars could make a bad situation worse. Although it looks good in concept, it still has the human factor to contend with and that's not going anywhere. We can't even eliminate computer viruses and malware yet. Remember Stucksnet?

BOSS343

Theory of 1
Yea I remember seeing this. I am SO excited for this!!! (insert if you will sarcasm) Kinda like the cars that will nearly drive themselves. I will pass thanks. Part of the whole reason I have never owned an automatic transmission. I don't want a car even making suggestions let alone deciding FOR me.
NFSBOSS said:
I'm not sure what to think of this. As a guy that likes to fly low and avoid the radar I'm worried that they can use this data to hand out speeding tickets without anyone ever seeing you. There are plenty of other implications as well.

I will second all of this, well said Rick.

Just ask Russia how great "more government" is.

Instead of having cars talk to eachother, why not try to take the stupid out of people. How hard is it to actually PAY ATTENTION when you are...hey popcorn...What was I saying?

They are trying to engineer the stupid out of cars by letting them drive themselves, and take people out of the equation.

racered302 said:
They are trying to engineer the stupid out of cars by letting them drive themselves, and take people out of the equation.

It won't work and then they'll tell us we have to ride busses for our safety. The will stop by every home and take our cars and hand out bus tickets. That would be an inconvenience for me because I live in the country.So, they will take my land and relocate me to the suburbs were I can have access to bus routes. This will all be done for the greater good, LOL.

Food is engineered more and more, wireless communication is expanding, and China puts their waste in our products and food. And people are wondering why cancer is becoming normal? I don't need MORE radio waves passing through my body, thank you. The solution is simple: Actually take licenses away from crappy drivers and restrict those to have caused accidents from not driving during rush hour.

It would only be a matter of time before one of these stupid systems freaks out and slams on the breaks for no reason, causing a pileup. Less likely if Toyota has nothing to do with the design, though. More likely if designed by someone the government hires.

Propilot

Support your local MS Society Chapter
Many countries in Europe have already passed laws that require a wireless "engine kill" system that would allow the "authorities" to shut down your engine with the press of a button be required equipment on all new vehicle sold. We already have an early version of this here (I believe vehicles with GM's ONSTAR have this feature in the name of stopping theft).

Stay tuned to see this feature coming to a dealership near you.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Propilot said:
Many countries in Europe have already passed laws that require a wireless "engine kill" system that would allow the "authorities" to shut down your engine with the press of a button be required equipment on all new vehicle sold. We already have an early version of this here (I believe vehicles with GM's ONSTAR have this feature in the name of stopping theft).

Stay tuned to see this feature coming to a dealership near you.

Just think of all the abuse when someone other than the cops get their hands on this.

BOSS343

Theory of 1
TymeSlayer said:
Just think of all the abuse when someone other than the cops get their hands on this.

Isn't that half the fun!?!?

WinterSucks said:
Food is engineered more and more, wireless communication is expanding, and China puts their waste in our products and food. And people are wondering why cancer is becoming normal? I don't need MORE radio waves passing through my body, thank you. The solution is simple: Actually take licenses away from crappy drivers and restrict those to have caused accidents from not driving during rush hour.

It would only be a matter of time before one of these stupid systems freaks out and slams on the breaks for no reason, causing a pileup. Less likely if Toyota has nothing to do with the design, though. More likely if designed by someone the government hires.

Well spoken indeed. Through college I worked road construction through my county highway department. Summer I spent much of my time dodging moron drivers absolutely oblivious to a guy in a chartreuse safety vest with reflective striping. Actually had to through a sign at a vehicle to keep them from running my crew members over. Watched vehicles abolutely disregard signage run our stop signs (one lane road with flaggers due to contruction) and narrowly miss a head on collision. Had the state issued road workers the power to revoke the licenses of people like that. Boy, there wouldn't be many drivers.

Here's a question for the folks from the country like myself. If you grew up there aka 20+ years living in the country...how do you NOT know the roads are laid out in 1 mile blocks...?

Yup, too many people just rush everywhere, couldn't give a crap about anyone else... People here in Boston are famous for that. You give them a system like this and they will start relying on it. Then guess what happens when your system breaks? They are going to crash, and sue the car manufacturer who was forced to put in the stupid system...

The cars might also be communicating with the speed limit signs to make sure you're not going over the limit. That might not fly with LE & local towns since speed traps and the revenue they generate will be out the window.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'm 100% against this.

At least until:
It can be made secure from defeat/hacking.
Enable it 100% on existing cars for less than $50/car.

Just not going to happen anytime soon.

TMO Supporting Vendors