The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Drag race settings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I did a search and it came back with too many different results.
This should be an easy one for future people to search.
What have you found the best settings to start off with before tweaking to each track when drag racing.
(I.E. shocks, TC,LBS of air in tire etc.)
Thanks all

It seems to be mixed. Some people suggest shocks to 1 all around, some say 1s in front, 4 LR and 5RR which seems to make sense to me.

I think the TC depends on the driver and what tires are used, at a track I'd use no nannies, a backroad (if i did that...) maybe Sport Mode.

Tire pressure would vary as well.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I run 2 all around...keep forgetting that I have adjustable shocks. I have cut 1.69 60' with et drags.

I only turn traction control off and leave advanced track on.

also disconnect one sway bar end link up front to aid in the front rising.

next time I am at the track I am going to go 5 up front and 1 in the rear see what does. then swap and see what that does. cause I have been told both. my gut tells me the first 5 front 1 back will work better and let the weight transfer.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Justin said:
I run 2 all around...keep forgetting that I have adjustable shocks. I have cut 1.69 60' with et drags.

next time I am at the track I am going to go 5 up front and 1 in the rear see what does. then swap and see what that does. cause I have been told both. my gut tells me the first 5 front 1 back will work better and let the weight transfer.
I thought we only had the traction control button for on and off? How does this work?

fbbob96 said:
Justin said:

I thought we only had the traction control button for on and off? How does this work?
With the foot on the brake hold the traction control button for about 5 seconds.

Justin

colticus said:
fbbob96 said:
Justin said:

With the foot on the brake hold the traction control button for about 5 seconds.
yeah if you do that it will turn off advanced track (keeps the car from swapping ends) and traction control. be very very careful if you turn adavnced track off and run street tires.

I ran 1 on all four shocks with the stock Perelli's. I managed 2.05 60 ft times. I don't think it matters what they are set at with stock tires. I bought some M/T D/R's, I hope to try out soon. I'll mess with the setting again then.

Any updates on what settings people like?

Also I was wondering, with TK and the non-defeatable 2-step, what do you guys do for the burnouts? Assuming stock tires, is it enough to just do a 2-step launch and then lift or do they need a real burnout (brakestand) to get the tires warm enough? My GF has been up my butt about letting her try the car at test and tune but I don't want her abusing it any more than necessary given she was unwilling to throw down for the rubber and pads she went through when I let her do a couple track days in my other car.

Justin

burnout with stock tires...not needed.

go around the water box if possible. do a very very short spin of the tires (goal is to knock the stones off the tires). You may air them down to 30-32 but no lower your just going to make them hook up less.

2.00-2.2 is the norm with these tires. I leave the line at 2200-2400 and rise the clutch normally and roll into the throttle. Hard to explain but I hope that helps.

TMO Supporting Vendors