The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Drag Racers: Mickey Thompson's Changed The Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For the drag racing enthusiasts, I put Mickey Thompson Street Radial ET II's 305/35/19 on this week.

Prior to this I had to launch at 1500 rpm, just to be competitive. I also have AED tunes and this week was a game changer.

With the MT's, I can launch at 2200-2600 and the car just launches like crazy. Changed it !
I ran at Texas Motor Speedway, Friday Night Drags and won the Sportsman class (v8 NA, etc.) Beat 6 other cars. 3 were tuned Mustang GT's. One guy has a 14 Auto, tuned, MT's and other mods. He beat me twice in the past few weeks, each time by nose. I beat him in the Semi's by over 2 car lengths.

Here's a sample:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/DdYQDScQTqg[/youtube]

That's awesome, congratulations. We're any of the other Mustangs running AED tunes?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Boss949 said:
For the drag racing enthusiasts, I put Mickey Thompson Street Radial ET II's 305/35/19 on this week.

Prior to this I had to launch at 1500 rpm, just to be competitive. I also have AED tunes and this week was a game changer.

With the MT's, I can launch at 2200-2600 and the car just launches like crazy. Changed it !
I ran at Texas Motor Speedway, Friday Night Drags and won the Sportsman class (v8 NA, etc.) Beat 6 other cars. 3 were tuned Mustang GT's. One guy has a 14 Auto, tuned, MT's and other mods. He beat me twice in the past few weeks, each time by nose. I beat him in the Semi's by over 2

I am considering going with the MTs on 18s and skinies on the front.

What were your numbers? 60' and1/4?

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
I just watched your channel this morning, as I'm subscribed to your channel. It looked like fun. Great job, is there any tree?

unrealford said:
I just watched your channel this morning, as I'm subscribed to your channel. It looked like fun. Great job, is there any tree?

No Tree, no timers, etc.

I appreciate your help in advice for launching the Boss. Of course with MT's it was totally different. I knew in practice when I beat a ZR1 by 3 car lengths that it was going to be a good night!

I'll be going out to North Star in Denton in the near future. Nice Strip with trees; clocks; slips, etc...

MGCurry said:
Very curious for the et with the mt's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No times as of yet; The races run at TMS are on Pit Row; No trees, timers, slips, etc.

I'll be running soon at North Star in Denton Tx and post results.

none of the bosses I see are bone stock my 2012 boss runs 13.15 at 110 mph at gateway in stl I cant picking up 7 mph and low 12 sec times I think many guy don't tell it all.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
onebad58 said:
none of the bosses I see are bone stock my 2012 boss runs 13.15 at 110 mph at gateway in stl I cant picking up 7 mph and low 12 sec times I think many guy don't tell it all.

Mine went 12.9 without any changes. Swapped out LCAs and added brackets with different street tires and have run 12.4s

110 is a bit low for mph. 113-114 was common with stock setup.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
onebad58 said:
its far from stock right

I guess that all depends upon you idea of "Far".

Engine, trans, clutch, tune, body, interior etc all factory.

No drag radials, no tune, no line lock, no power adders etc.

Close to stock.....not stock. 12.4.

Drag radials, skinniest and line lock should get it near 12.0.

Still impressive to run 12s with all stock including tire pressure on third tank of gas.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
I've ran 12.31-...12.33.. Completely stock, including air cleaner, Tune, exhaust, suspension..
Only thing I have us upper control Arm, Shifter

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

TMO Supporting Vendors