The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Drew's Howlin' Coyote Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dothan, Alabama
After some headaches with figuring out what brake lines to use and double checking fitting sizes, I was able to have some made by a friend. Came to the awesome realization after the lines were made that the s197s female to hardline fitting was m10x1 which is what I ordered, but the banjo bolt was a m10x1.5. Thankfully banjo bolts are easily obtainable from auto zone, so the new kit is finally on after putting it off for so long. I never want to change a pad on a floating caliper again.
20200212_184616.jpg

Excited to see how well this new setup will be able to handle heat more than the stockish setup. Counting down the days to get back on track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
It looks like you have the non-Brembo (Frembo) S550 4-piston calipers instead of the S550 PP calipers. The stock rotors have the vent opening by the hub on the outboard side of the rotor. I can't really tell if your rotor is like that or you somehow found a rotor that is vented in the conventional manner (on the inboard side). If you did, that's great and please share the type of rotor you found.

If not, and it too is vented on the outboard side, then brake ducts will do little or nothing to cool the brakes. In fact in may lead to a higher possibility they will crack since the ducts will only cool the inboard face of the rotor and the other side will still be hot.

EDIT: NEVERMIND - After a few searches on prior posting I see that was covered in this post in another thread:

You're using the S197 14" rotors for the Mustang GT Track Pack/Boss 302/non 13-14 GT500 which are vented in the conventional manner and using the base S550 calipers. Did you have to shim the calipers?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dothan, Alabama
EDIT: NEVERMIND - After a few searches on prior posting I see that was covered in this post in another thread:

You're using the S197 14" rotors for the Mustang GT Track Pack/Boss 302/non 13-14 GT500 which are vented in the conventional manner and using the base S550 calipers. Did you have to shim the calipers?

Yeah I'm using centric blanks for a 13-14 brembo car. I had to use a washer between the spindle and caliper to center the caliper over the rotor. I wanted to pick up the 6 pots from the s550, but these 4 pots were pretty much given to me from a friend upgrading to the 6 pots.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Dothan, Alabama
Finally got around to installing my trackspec GT2 center vent this weekend. Install went smoothly. Cutting the holes were less of a hassle than I thought they were going to be. Here are some pictures of the install:
20200627_114843.jpg
20200627_145009.jpg
20200627_153820.jpg

Also instead of buying the full kit, I just modified the stock vents to allow more airflow. Don't have the money to blow on trackspec's full kit. Graduated college this may with my engineering degree during all the COVID excitement, and I still haven't been able to secure a job. Thankfully I have interviewed with a company, but it has been a slow process. Anyways here are some photos of the stock vents without the plastic covers underneath:
20200106_102328.jpg
20200106_102306.jpg

Really excited to get the car back out on track once I get some steady income. Curious how well the vents will do on cooling. I also still need to really test the new brakes up front. Hopefully with the vents cooling, the bigger calipers, and the brake ducts I can see a large increase in cooling all around during the hotter months. Really been going stir crazy watching everyone open back up and track and not be able to join. So here's open I can get back out there soon!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel