The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Drive magazine testing Cortex suspension***Video***

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick, you can relocate this thread to the proper susbforum if you want, I was not sure where to post it

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
There is another thread on this video in the "Comparison Tests" forum, so I'll quote what I posted there:

ArizonaBOSS said:
First let me start off by saying that Cortex looks like they make some great stuff that really works.

That being said:
This video sucks.
There is no data anywhere to baseline before/after and performance gained. It's just a bunch of subjective stuff that anyone would be able to notice.

No shiznit it handles better after you throw an entirely new suspension in the car. SHOCKING.

To me, this is just one giant Cortex commercial with some really neat visuals.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaBOSS said:
First let me start off by saying that Cortex looks like they make some great stuff that really works.

That being said:
This video sucks.
There is no data anywhere to baseline before/after and performance gained. It's just a bunch of subjective stuff that anyone would be able to notice.

No shiznit it handles better after you throw an entirely new suspension in the car. SHOCKING.

To me, this is just one giant Cortex commercial with some really neat visuals.

Reminds me of the videos and claims for other suspensions. It's really sad that nobody has the desire to prove their systems with lap times.

I do like that they kept the stock tires. Many others change the tires and don't tell you that that's where all the gains come from!

I think you guys miss the point of the video. It's not about hard data. It's about showing you can make a muscle car handle better. It's entertainment, not test n tune.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Cortex does have data in a video on there website....and once I get this installed on my car will gladly give you my track times then and now. It's sitting in my garage crying to be installed :'(

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Tucson302 said:
Cortex does have data in a video on there website....and once I get this installed on my car will gladly give you my track times then and now. It's sitting in my garage crying to be installed :'(

Soon enough, buddy. I'm thinking we can knock that out the weekend before INDE? (May 17-18).
Might be able to do it May 10-11 but I promised the wife a trip to Sedona...

Tucson302 said:
Did you order the JRi's?

Nice CorteX and HOD ad. ;D. No doubt if I was going further with the suspension on my car I'd drop it off at CorteX and turn them loose on it. BTW David has the CorteX SMG suspension on his Spec Mustang.

Grant 302

cosm3os said:
I think you guys miss the point of the video. It's not about hard data. It's about showing you can make a muscle car handle better. It's entertainment, not test n tune.

Hrm. I thought the point of ads were to sell stuff. Hard data makes me want to buy stuff. I'm just surprised at how many people actually buy based on 3rd party 'testimonials' about donated parts/service.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
ArizonaBOSS said:
Soon enough, buddy. I'm thinking we can knock that out the weekend before INDE? (May 17-18).
Might be able to do it May 10-11 but I promised the wife a trip to Sedona...

Drew whenever you guys are available works for me. You tell me when and I'm there you guys are doing me a huge favor.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
NFSBOSS said:
Did you order the JRi's?

Nice CorteX and HOD ad. ;D. No doubt if I was going further with the suspension on my car I'd drop it off at CorteX and turn them loose on it. BTW David has the CorteX SMG suspension on his Spec Mustang.

Rick yes I did get the JRi's hoping they are worth it! Oops a quick check of my box and no I got the Koni yellows sorry got confused.

ArizonaBOSS - really? I have an email address posted at the end of every video we shoot. You could have just emailed me and I would have gladly given you any information you requested. But instead you just say:

"This video sucks." - well done Sir. Very classy.

"cosm3os" - thank you.

This is Mike Musto - I'm the host of /BIG MUSCLE and the owner of the Mustang. Some people completely miss the point of a video like this. We shot this to show what can be gained by properly updating your car (Mustang or not) for track use, WITH the understanding that there are different levels of drivers out there that have different goals for their vehicles. And yes, there must also be entertainment included. Everything we shoot goes out to over 1 million subscribers around the globe, so if we just showcased hard numbers and spring rates, it would be pretty boring for the guy who lives in Italy and drives a Fiat.

Understand this - Cortex or HOD never once sought me out. I run tracks all over Northern and Southern, CA and I found Filip at Cortex when I was at a track day at Sonoma raceway with HOD and saw him chase down a 458 Challenge car in his 66 Mustang. Unless you're dead, that should peak your interest. I found him off track and we had a wonderful conversation about his car and it was ONLY after I prodded as to his background that he told me about his company.

As for David Ray and Hooked on Driving - why shouldn't I give them press? Here's a company that makes it possible for drivers of all levels to get their cars out on track and have a great experience, while promoting a safe and progressive learning environment and in my opinion they're the best in the business at what they do. FYI - before I moved to the West Coast I was an instructor with NASA for years. I know and understand how the system works and what makes a good organization.

Now - times / technical.

My car is a 2013 Mustang GT 300A Base model with the track pack. The only upgrades during the first day of shooting where Motul RFB600 fluid, steel lines and Michelin Pilot SuperSports. Before the shoot my best lap in that car was a 1:48.01 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. We then went back to Cortex's Shop in Sonoma and in 3.5 hours they installed the following:

1. CorteX Xtreme-Grip street front and rear coil overs with JRi double adjustable dampers, camber plates and the ability to fit 315mm tires on all 4 corners (have not done the big tires yet). The vehicle was lowered approximately 1.5 inch.

2. CorteX Xtreme-Grip street watts link with poly bushings.

3. CorteX Adjustable street tubular rear lower control arm system with geometry correction brackets.

4. CorteX Torque arm system, which does not require aftermarket exhaust in most cases.

5. Eibach 3-position adjustable front anti roll bar. CorteX Spec rear anti roll bar that is significantly softer than the OEM bar.

6. Front drop ball joints to adjust the roll center after lowering the car and a bump steer kit to match.

After 4 hours of sleep, we drove 150 miles BACK to LS and ran again. My best times where in the low 1:44s with NO FINE TUNING, a simple shop alignment, a 250 lb camera man in the right seat and 40lbs of camera gear suction cupped to the car.

Without all those factors I have no doubt I'd have seen quicker times.

Hope this clears things up.

Cheers - Mike Musto

Grant 302

MrAngry said:
Everything we shoot goes out to over 1 million subscribers around the globe, so if we just showcased hard numbers and spring rates, it would be pretty boring for the guy who lives in Italy and drives a Fiat.

I understand that a video like this needs to be entertaining and should not 'showcase' hard numbers...but what's the harm in including them? There's no need to be so defensive for HOD or Cortex...both are frequently and highly recommended here.

1:44 is a good time for 255(?) super sports regardless of the suspension. None of the clips I saw of the car rolling looked like they were running that pace. Can you humor us with some footage?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
I understand that a video like this needs to be entertaining and should not 'showcase' hard numbers...but what's the harm in including them? There's no need to be so defensive for HOD or Cortex...both are frequently and highly recommended here.

1:44 is a good time for 255(?) super sports regardless of the suspension. None of the clips I saw of the car rolling looked like they were running that pace. Can you humor us with some footage?

Agreed on all these points!

My "review" was a bit crass, so perhaps I touched a nerve there.
I didn't bother looking in the video comments because there are typically a TON of comments on these videos. I did enjoy the feature on Roadrace-T; saw that car at LeMons Sonoma a few weeks back.

Mr. Angry:

Personally, I wanted to see some performance figures because although we've heard a lot of good press about Cortex, nobody has really posted any data for us enthusiasts to compare it to other systems out there. We are all EXCITED to see that data/comparison. Sure it's not for everybody, but for those of us that might actually open our wallets, it means something.

From an entertainment perspective, I think you could have gotten some smile-mileage out of this facet of the story:
We then went back to Cortex's Shop in Sonoma and in 3.5 hours...

After 4 hours of sleep, we drove 150 miles BACK to LS and ran again. My best times where in the low 1:44s with NO FINE TUNING, a simple shop alignment, a 250 lb camera man in the right seat and 40lbs of camera gear suction cupped to the car.

Anyways, don't take this stuff too seriously--it's just the internet.

Mike:

Love the show! For those who've never watched, it's just about the joy of getting grins and making noise with "muscle" cars (usually one off stuff). I don't recall an episode every mentioning a 0-60 or a 1/4 mile time. Heck, I can't think of an instance where cubic inches were qoted! So I was not expecting data--unless you consider Mike's mouth to be a data acquisition system, in which case I can't wait to drive my Mustang's new suspension on track in a couple weeks!

Come out to Chicago--we have a passionate car/muscle car community here! Ever been to Troy Trepanier's shop? Amazing stuf . . .

Grant 302 / ArizonaBOSS - You guys are correct, there is no harm in showcasing #'s at times, however our thought was that the video should be more on the educational and entertainment side. In my opinion most people focus too much on lap times when they should be focusing on upgrading their skill level (thus HOD inclusion). For example, if I would have posted that my previous best time was a 2:05, and then with the upgrades I dropped to a 2:01, many people (in internet land) would have assumed that a stock Mustang is only capable of running a 2:05, or said that I suck behind the wheel or whatever. I'm a big Mustang fan and since this is a world audience show, I didn't want people simply hating on a great car because of numbers. I knew I was going to have to field forum comments, and that's totally cool, it's part of what we do. In regards to being defensive - my apologies, that was not my intention. As for other footage, yes we have it, but no we won't be posting it as it simply doesn't fit within the time constraints of the video.

cosm3os -
it's just about the joy of getting grins and making noise with "muscle" cars (usually one off stuff) I don't recall an episode every mentioning a 0-60 or a 1/4 mile time
Exactly!

BTW - Troy Trepanier is one of the most talented builders I've ever seen. I would LOVE to showcase some of his creations!

TMO Supporting Vendors