The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Drive Mode/exhaust valve issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Question for you guys. Has anyone ever had the active exhaust get stuck in one setting (open in this case) and be unable to change drive modes? Just took the car out on the track for the first time and after the first session, The car would no longer switch drive modes, and the exhaust seems to be stuck in track mode (full open) but the display showed it to be in normal mode (and would not switch modes). I tried unplugging/replugging the exhaust solenoids with no effect and tried to reset everything by disconnecting the battery, also with no effect.

I did the rest of the day in "normal mode" Car was super fun anyway, but the traction control was almost always on :).

Just wanted to see if there was anything else I should try before taking it to the dealer.

BTW the car is a 2017 350R.

Thanks!

Bay Area
Man and here I am stuck in normal mode. Started my car today and it doesn't want to switch driver modes.

Update-drove ge car for about 45 mins, then went I got to my destination shut it off, let it sit for 10 mins and started up and everything worked fine.

Although, I did notice when I got in it today it had a message on .the display saying systems shut down to save battery or something like that. Last week I did disconnect the battery to relocate my autoblip but other than that nothing changed.

Last edited:
Having an issue with mine, started acting up. almost always stays open, usually still allows me to change drive modes. the issue introduced a parasitic draw problem that took out the bat even hooked to a maintainer. if I connect one muffler / solenoid at a time - the car runs its self check on key on, but if I plug in both - nothing. valves dont cycle nor work. either muffler with solenoid will work each on either side, but never when both connected. Im wondering if the wire from the front back to the mufflers has a problem.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Check your battery and alternator output with a good quality multimeter.

Check batt posts for corrosion/health and batt tml clamp bolts to ensure that they are clean/tight.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Phoenix, AZ
This happens based on the actuators getting too hot. If you pull codes there’s probably a P26FE. If the car sensors the actuators are stuck or have the potential to not operate properly the car will force default to Normal mode and not allow drive mode changes. Unplugging the battery does not fix it.

This happened to me a few weeks ago on the track. The fix is to install Grimmspeed valve defeats (or similar) to trick the car. If the actuators aren’t plugged in then they can’t get stuck. You can also use them in reverse to keep the valves closed if you are trying to pass sound check.

TMO Supporting Vendors