The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Driveline Maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm contemplating changing my trans (MT82) fluid to RP Synchromax or Redline MTL (leaning towards Synchromax). Any thoughts on the two? For someone who might be doing 10-12 days on track a year how often should I change the trans fluid?

How about the diff fluid, any recommendations of fluid type and how often that should be changed?

Thanks

I change both once a year and I think we similar amounts of track time.

I stick with Motorcraft full synthetic for the rear differential.

I have RP in the transmission now, but plenty of members use Redline MTL with success too.

The Boss supplement recommends a differential fluid change every 12 hours and to change the engine oil after each weekend. At a minimum, I would consider changing the transmission fluid with the differential fluid.

By comparison, the 302S supplement calls for a 4-hour change interval for engine, transmission, and differential fluids.

I prefer the Redline MTL. For differential gear oil if you do not run a cooler, I recommend the Redline Heavy Shockproof. If you do run a cooler, do not use any of the Shockproof oils - Redline has a warning that they may clog the cooler matrix. Use a quality synthetic 75W140 instead.

Thanks for the info.

So with RP there is only one type of Synchromax, correct? Is there just one type of MTL? I thought I might have seen different weights of MTL. I'll do more research.

That's interesting about the shock proof fluid. Does the Torsen housing have a drain and fill plug or do you have to remove the cover every time?

I typically change the trans and differential oil at the beginning of each "season" of track events. I'm in MI, so that goes from mid-April to October, and includes roughly 10 days on track. Each day consists of 4-5 20-min sessions, of which 15 minutes is really running hard. So, that's pretty much right in line with 10-12 hours on the diff oil, not counting any street miles in between. For the rear, I just stick to a quality 75W-140 synthetic (Mobil-1, RL, Amsoil, BG). For the trans, I have used the Motorcraft, Redline MTL, and now BG Synchroshift II. Of all the trans fluid listed, I like the way the BG works/feels best. I also use the FRPP trans cooling scoop. If you're doing many track events you also know the value of fresh brake fluid as well. I usually do a complete flush at the beginning of the season, at subsequent events throughout the season I bleed out the fluid in the caliper. I will do a full flush 2-3 times a season though. As far as oil changes, I use 15W-50 Mobil-1 and change every 5k miles. My car does not consume/burn any (I'm pretty lucky) in between, and I normally find less than a teaspoon in my catch can.

JScottGT said:
I typically change the trans and differential oil at the beginning of each "season" of track events. I'm in MI, so that goes from mid-April to October, and includes roughly 10 days on track. Each day consists of 4-5 20-min sessions, of which 15 minutes is really running hard. So, that's pretty much right in line with 10-12 hours on the diff oil, not counting any street miles in between. For the rear, I just stick to a quality 75W-140 synthetic (Mobil-1, RL, Amsoil, BG). For the trans, I have used the Motorcraft, Redline MTL, and now BG Synchroshift II. Of all the trans fluid listed, I like the way the BG works/feels best. I also use the FRPP trans cooling scoop. If you're doing many track events you also know the value of fresh brake fluid as well. I usually do a complete flush at the beginning of the season, at subsequent events throughout the season I bleed out the fluid in the caliper. I will do a full flush 2-3 times a season though. As far as oil changes, I use 15W-50 Mobil-1 and change every 5k miles. My car does not consume/burn any (I'm pretty lucky) in between, and I normally find less than a teaspoon in my catch can.

Thanks. Yeah, brake fluid was already on the list. Last year I ran Castrol SRF and this year I switched to Motul to save money since I figured with more track days I'd need to swap more often. Though I may switch back because I felt like I was getting worse shifting last weekend at a nasa event after a few hard sessions.

This has probably been touched upon somewhere else and I'll try to search but need to get an order in soon. How much fluid does the diff and MT82 each take?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
You can Google: Ford Lubrication Chart

Here is information on the rear axle & differental:

http://www.motorcraft.com/servlet/BlobServer/axle-lubricants.pdf?blobtable=DFYBlob&blobheader=application/pdf&blobwhere=1249081820810&blobcol=urlblob&blobkey=id

Here is another Motorcraft Lub Chart for the MT-82:

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/mantrans.pdf

These change periodically, so check the release dates for the most current recommendations. The MT82 also has a TSB for a fluid change spec designed to improve cold weather shifting.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
You can Google: Ford Lubrication Chart

Here is information on the rear axle & differental:

http://www.motorcraft.com/servlet/BlobServer/axle-lubricants.pdf?blobtable=DFYBlob&blobheader=application/pdf&blobwhere=1249081820810&blobcol=urlblob&blobkey=id

Here is another Motorcraft Lub Chart for the MT-82:

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/mantrans.pdf

These change periodically, so check the release dates for the most current recommendations. The MT82 also has a TSB for a fluid change spec designed to improve cold weather shifting.

Good luck,
302 Hi Pro

Thanks I've been checking the forums mostly. That second link seems to be old as I thought the TSB was the change in fluid but it still shows a note for using the additive. I'll keep searching.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel