The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Driver Fitness article, featuring Alessandro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
I'm up to speed pretty good on this.

How did you derive that threshold on your heart rate scale? Let's assume some sort of metabolic testing. We also need to do cardiovascular fitness testing to determine heart rate/power output relationship. We can then look at that info to figure out the corresponding level of physical stress at which the body shifts from aerobic to anaerobic fuel sources. We hope to mostly fuel our racing on fat stores, which are processed with oxygen. If everything is being supplied with adequate oxygen, then we're satisfied the brain isn't getting any serious competition for it's share.

In terms of fitness, I want my drivers to be able to keep under the ventilatory threshold at all times when driving. That's roughly the level of physical exertion at which it becomes difficult to talk. If a driver is driving at that stress level for long enough, they *will* make a mistake. The heart rates we log in the car are not exactly representative of the heart rates we see on a bike or erg (rower). All produce elevated heart rates due to stress, but the tests are primarily due to physical exertion while the car example has a significant heat component. I think in both cases, though, the heart rate is representative of when stress hormones start being released and the body shifts from fat burning to glycolic systems.

So, when I say I don't want my drivers at the point where they are hitting the glycolic systems, it's because that represents a level of stress to which I don't want my driver's exposed. There's many ways of addressing this. The fitness of the driver is the most obvious. The higher a level of stress a driver can maintain before going over threshold will be the first thing to address. It can also mean the car is handling poorly. It's both mentally and physically fatiguing to constantly be correcting and catching the car. Having a good car takes a ton of stress off a driver. Heat is a big deal. If you can keep your driver cooler, you can keep your driver closer to their peak performance. It's often worth carrying a cool-box, even if it's a weight penalty, because the loss in performance due to the weight is significantly less than the loss of performance of the driver due to over-heating stress. There are many more factors at play.

The driver has to assume that they will be under some sort of heavy stress in a big race and will probably need to be able to access those glycogen reserves at different points. You can't use it if you don't have it, so a higher carb meal makes sense (even though you hope to not really have to use it). In my experience, the most common driver meal during long races is unbreaded chicken with either rice or pasta w/ olive oil or butter.

I'm up to speed pretty good on this.

How did you derive that threshold on your heart rate scale? Let's assume some sort of metabolic testing. We also need to do cardiovascular fitness testing to determine heart rate/power output relationship. We can then look at that info to figure out the corresponding level of physical stress at which the body shifts from aerobic to anaerobic fuel sources. We hope to mostly fuel our racing on fat stores, which are processed with oxygen. If everything is being supplied with adequate oxygen, then we're satisfied the brain isn't getting any serious competition for it's share.

In terms of fitness, I want my drivers to be able to keep under the ventilatory threshold at all times when driving. That's roughly the level of physical exertion at which it becomes difficult to talk. If a driver is driving at that stress level for long enough, they *will* make a mistake. The heart rates we log in the car are not exactly representative of the heart rates we see on a bike or erg (rower). All produce elevated heart rates due to stress, but the tests are primarily due to physical exertion while the car example has a significant heat component. I think in both cases, though, the heart rate is representative of when stress hormones start being released and the body shifts from fat burning to glycolic systems.

So, when I say I don't want my drivers at the point where they are hitting the glycolic systems, it's because that represents a level of stress to which I don't want my driver's exposed. There's many ways of addressing this. The fitness of the driver is the most obvious. The higher a level of stress a driver can maintain before going over threshold will be the first thing to address. It can also mean the car is handling poorly. It's both mentally and physically fatiguing to constantly be correcting and catching the car. Having a good car takes a ton of stress off a driver. Heat is a big deal. If you can keep your driver cooler, you can keep your driver closer to their peak performance. It's often worth carrying a cool-box, even if it's a weight penalty, because the loss in performance due to the weight is significantly less than the loss of performance of the driver due to over-heating stress. There are many more factors at play.

The driver has to assume that they will be under some sort of heavy stress in a big race and will probably need to be able to access those glycogen reserves at different points. You can't use it if you don't have it, so a higher carb meal makes sense (even though you hope to not really have to use it). In my experience, the most common driver meal during long races is unbreaded chicken with either rice or pasta w/ olive oil or butter.
Agreed 100%
Prepping the athlete driver to heat conditions is what we used to do in Pro rugby and football(pardon soccer lol).
The PRE season preparation was in August. And in mountain.
So low Oxygen levels and high heat.
When i prepared Daytona Nats Last year my training shifted from inside the gym to outside Cali summer temps (90-100f)
2 months of passion lol. It did work out tho.

In normal condition our body can accumulate 600grams of Glycogen.
We usually burn for the first 10seconds creatine phospate composts.
Then for many minutes "piruvate and lactate"( sugar) and then fat (and oxygen)
Of course is not precisely 1 follow led by 2 followed by 3
But this.is why in sports like rugby we increase carbs (and creatine) assumption.

Ok time to workout now ☺️

16539523474387133731672062265490.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel