The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Driveshaft and Adjustable Third Link Install Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
So I installed my DSS driveshaft and Steeda adjustable UCA mount and adjustable 3rd link this last weekend. The third link is a spherical bearing set up and so are my LCA's from Steeda. I did them all at the same time and needless to say there is a lot of noise now coming from the rear end...no noise from suspension movement because I made sure to grease everything but you can hear what I am assuming is the noise of the driveshaft or the gears in the rear diff. When I initially did the install the noise wasn't very bad but after I got under the car and readjusted the UCA to set the pinion angle I got a lot more noise coming from the rear end. With the pinion angle set incorrectly it was quiet and now that it is at -1 it's loud and sounds like the gear noise I hear from a race car. There are no vibrations but if anyone has any ideas or thinks I did something wrong because of all the increased noise please chime in. Thanks in advance

Flyboygsxr said:
So I installed my DSS driveshaft and Steeda adjustable UCA mount and adjustable 3rd link this last weekend. The third link is a spherical bearing set up and so are my LCA's from Steeda. I did them all at the same time and needless to say there is a lot of noise now coming from the rear end...no noise from suspension movement because I made sure to grease everything but you can hear what I am assuming is the noise of the driveshaft or the gears in the rear diff. When I initially did the install the noise wasn't very bad but after I got under the car and readjusted the UCA to set the pinion angle I got a lot more noise coming from the rear end. With the pinion angle set incorrectly it was quiet and now that it is at -1 it's loud and sounds like the gear noise I hear from a race car. There are no vibrations but if anyone has any ideas or thinks I did something wrong because of all the increased noise please chime in. Thanks in advance

Sounds absolutely correct to me. Going fully spherical in the back end is akin to going to solid alloy bushings in the back of a normal rwd car. Once you do that, you get tons of drivetrain whine. There's no way around it.
The bushings actually do a huge job of isolating that noise from the cabin (as you now can see!). I also would expect that with a correctly set pinion angle, you will have more noise at a constant load, as the pinion has a minor angle.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel