The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Driveshaft Length

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSS wants to know the length of my driveshaft so I just had the car up and measured it today. With the suspension loaded I measured the stock driveshaft at 55 3/8…My first measurement was 55 1/2. If anyone has measured theirs before and can provide me with numbers I would appreciate it. I have eibach sport lines on the car and LCA relocation brackets with an adjustable third link from Steeda to set the pinion angle. Thanks

Adam

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
The CV joint on mine failed and their reasoning behind the failure was the length of the driveshaft. It was too long and did not provide enough room for suspension travel is what I am being told. I ran fine for about 3000 miles and then just suddenly failed. I had just put new pads on the car and started to notice a vibration but when I pushed the brakes it would go away. I wondered if it was the new pads but about 10 minutes later the car started shaking violently. I stopped and couldn't see anything wrong with the car but I had it towed home anyway. After inspection I realized it was the driveshaft. No visible damage to anything including the driveshaft. After I sent it back to DSS they said the CV joint failed. No damage to the car but there was significant damage to my wallet.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Not sure on the model number…it's the standard driveshaft they give to every mustang/boss owner unless you request a different length.

Flyboygsxr said:
DSS wants to know the length of my driveshaft so I just had the car up and measured it today. With the suspension loaded I measured the stock driveshaft at 55 3/8…My first measurement was 55 1/2. If anyone has measured theirs before and can provide me with numbers I would appreciate it. I have eibach sport lines on the car and LCA relocation brackets with an adjustable third link from Steeda to set the pinion angle. Thanks

Adam

My CF DS is 41" center to center but with T56 Magnum XL.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Wow, that is significantly shorter than mine…mine was 55 3/8" but I am going to get under it again tomorrow and double check the measurements. That was from flange to flange on mine…I basically just measured the length of the stock driveshaft.

Flyboygsxr said:
Wow, that is significantly shorter than mine…mine was 55 3/8" but I am going to get under it again tomorrow and double check the measurements. That was from flange to flange on mine…I basically just measured the length of the stock driveshaft.

Yes, but again, mine is not stock transmission. My apologies. I did not want to confuse you. The T56 swap shortens the length for the DS. I found the email with the technician's note. When the length first was measured with MT82 then it was 55 3/4" from transmission flange to pinion flange. Hope this clarifies it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
You didn't cause any confusion…I was just surprised at how much longer the T56 is versus the MT82. The shorter driveshaft length is another benefit of the T56. I'm surprised the GT500 has a two piece when they could have easily gone with a one piece considering the length. I know there are many speculations as to why Ford went with the two piece but I much prefer the one piece and I think everyone else does too. Thank you for the info on the length. My first measurement was 55 1/2". The problem is some of the driveshaft is inside the flange on the diff so that might make up for the last 1/4". When I took my measurements after installation it was within their specifications so I still don't understand why it failed. The driveshaft should be able to handle full suspension travel.

Flyboygsxr said:
You didn't cause any confusion…I was just surprised at how much longer the T56 is versus the MT82. The shorter driveshaft length is another benefit of the T56. I'm surprised the GT500 has a two piece when they could have easily gone with a one piece considering the length. I know there are many speculations as to why Ford went with the two piece but I much prefer the one piece and I think everyone else does too. Thank you for the info on the length. My first measurement was 55 1/2". The problem is some of the driveshaft is inside the flange on the diff so that might make up for the last 1/4". When I took my measurements after installation it was within their specifications so I still don't understand why it failed. The driveshaft should be able to handle full suspension travel.

Great. Sounds like the correct measurement.
ps: Starting with the 2013 model the GT500 has one piece CF drive shaft. They had two-piece steel DS before that.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Yeah, that is exactly what I think happened. Even though I was within their specs (just barely) I don't think it had enough travel to allow the suspension to fully articulate. Lesson to learn from this is be right in the middle or else you might have the same problem I did.

TMO Supporting Vendors