The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Driving a Boss 302 on the Indy Road Course August 2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had a once in a lifetime chance to drive the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) road course last weekend. Mid-Ohio Region-Porsche Club Of America (MORPCA) sponsored the first HPDE ever held at IMS. The event was three days with plenty of track time. I felt very fortunate to be able attend as I had never attended a MORPCA event before and I was driving a Ford. Their intent was to have as many Porsches as possible and they succeeded. There was a smattering of Corvettes, Vipers, Audis BMWs, Miatas and five Mustangs. There were three Boss 302s; my Competition Orange 2012 and two 2013s. Of the 260 drivers entered, I had the only orange car. The track is very fast with nice twisty sections. My car performed well. I passed my share of Porsches as well as being passed by some very fast Porsches.

If you wanted a garage, you could have one at no additional cost. I shared a Grand Prix garage on the front straight with three Porsches. I received many compliments on the car color and how well the car performed. It was a great track for a Boss 302 with the long straights.

This was possibly the best run HPDE I had ever been to. The event stayed on schedule all three days and downtime due to track incidents was kept to a minimum. MORPCA and IMS did a superb job! Can’t thank them enough.

MORPCA included two nice bonuses; a private reception at the IMS museum and three touring laps of the oval. This event was a test for IMS to see if they would like to hold more HPDE events in the future. Hopefully they will as I would like to go back.

DSCN6682_zpsog03yfly.jpg
DSCN6683_zpsqsxgcelr.jpg
DSCN6923_zpsko0egcft.jpg
IMG_0921_zpsd3yhfkeo.jpg

Awesome. How long have you owned your Boss? BMO approves of Mustangs passing Porsche's on track. ;)

Good question, I don't remember feeling the bricks at speed. Supposedly they had a photographer taking our pictures crossing the bricks, but I haven't seen them yet.

Next year, Labor Day weekend, will be a 3 day open track event at Indy in conjunction with Mustang Club of America's 40th anniversary.
Www.mca40th.com.

Terry
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69mustangman said:
Next year, Labor Day weekend, will be a 3 day open track event at Indy in conjunction with Mustang Club of America's 40th anniversary.
Www.mca40th.com.

Terry
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that is the one I was planning on going to

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
VooDooBOSS said:
Let me know. I'm just "over the hill" from there.
[/quote

Will do!!

A good friend of mine lives in Reno. For the last two years he has sent me live video of the festivities in Reno. This year he was on the street chatting with Richard Rawlings from Fast and Loud.
The city issues Event Only license plates for cars registered. This allows just about any car the legal right to cruise. 1200 hp alcohol dragsters are a common site In Town.

This has to be the biggest gear head party in the world. I have to experience it at least once.

Mid-Ohio Porsche Club has opened enrollment to 2016 Indy HPDE. This is the same event that I described above. Price has dropped this year to $645 for 3 days. I signed up again as I had a great time last year. This is a link to the event.

http://www.morpca.org/2016-morpca-hpde-program-announced/

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel