The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Driving in the rain with the LS tires, experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrehder

New Boss 302 LS owner
Morning all, so I'm reading thru the owners manual this morning and it states not to drive in rain if at all possible because the LS tires do not remove the rain from under the tire very well. Just how bad are they in the rain? I live in the Atlanta area and this year we had one of the wettest rainy seasons in awhile. Thanks for your input!

It isn't worth the risk! They will just hydroplane most likely. You can sell the stock tires and probably get enough to buy some UHP summer tires that are fine in rain, like Sport Comp 2's, V12s (street only), or the best by most accounts: Michelin PS2s. I am happy with my Sport Comp 2 tires sine I needed a street/autoX/HPDE/cost compromise.

johnrehder said:
Morning all, so I'm reading thru the owners manual this morning and it states not to drive in rain if at all possible because the LS tires do not remove the rain from under the tire very well. Just how bad are they in the rain? I live in the Atlanta area and this year we had one of the wettest rainy seasons in awhile. Thanks for your input!

John, I have driven my LS on wet roads with no problems. just like any tire with standing water there is a problem. The corsa on a wet track are not bad with off line driving. the system also says not to run below 40 f. I have tracked these at lower temps. but have not pushed the car. The corsa system is a good system my porsche came with them my buddys Lambo came with them and many other high end cars.

I had to drive my LS through very heavy rains for a couple of days (while my DD was getting hail damage repaired). I was worried about the OE Pirelli Corsas but they were actually superb, a lot better than the regular P Zeros on my first Boss (which were, quite frankly, terrible - even in the dry). I had zero hydroplaning issues and the grip was excellent on wet roads.

Only caveat was that it was warm weather when I was driving the LS in the rain. Cold and wet may be a different story.

BLAZN BOSS

The non LS Boss's Pirellis say not to drive below 45.....first I had ever heard so I called Pirelli for an explanation cause I was told and read so many different stories. The engineer told me that the tires would do fine in any temp just not be able to perfom as they would above 45. So I said i wasn't looking to perform just go from point A to point B and back. I was told that was fine but perform also means to handle during emergency situations.....kid or animal darting out and braking not be as good...........avoiding a car pulling out unexpectedly......not being able to swerve to miss them. So that is something to consider........also the biggie.........and I havent called to ask.........what would the insurance comapany do if you were in an accident in temps you wern't supposed to be in?..........Just some food for thought.

I have to agree with the above posters. I DD my LS even now because I hate driving my V6 but just the other night it rained and I took my car out, I didn't really have any problems and it was about 57 at the time too. The only times I had any issues was when I made a turn I hit the gas to soon and the rear end slid out on me.

johnrehder

New Boss 302 LS owner
Thanks Guys, I'm one careful dude in the rain regardless of what I drive. I'll give a whirl and see how it does close to home on back roads. I'm currently shopping all season tires and another set of rims.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
i drove home from Pocono in thunderstorms on Corsas last year and was down to 25 mph on the highway it got so bad. Just ran 220 mile at speed at Summit Point on Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they were awesome. If you are careful you will be fine but like everyone else said, in the cold you really should get an All Season tire and keep the Corsas for the track.
Steve

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I have a stock LS and bought it in Phoenix and on the drive home got caught in a storm on the interstate. Did feel some hydroplaning but nothing major.

johnrehder

New Boss 302 LS owner
Drove in the rain today with no noticeable traction issues, I'll stop obsessing now! Turns out I have the P Zero tires not the original Corsas :)

TMO Supporting Vendors