The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Driving School @ ncracing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Glad your daughter had a great time! I've used HOD for 4 track days at Oregon Raceway Park and and Laguna Seca. I was impressed with their program.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
gloves and 10 - 2 placement. But gloves are important
Fully agree with gloves. 2 and 10 not so much. Schools are now encouraging a 3 and 9 or lower grip on the wheel. Why? Airbags launching hands into face and damaging hands, wrists and arms. No airbags, no problems. I have adapted to a lower grip in racecar and in street cars. I do it one way, habits are hard to break.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Having instructed for over 20 years ( Porsche DE, NASA, SCCA, Viper Days ) I would have to jump in and say I would ride with your daughter anytime and she did very well for a first timer. I politely disagree about the concern of her hand placement since she seemed pretty stable for the majority of the laps - likely her Instructor commented after her early laps. Perfect no, but this is probably one of the most problematic areas for all drivers and she had better hand placement and usage than many, many drivers have when they start. Just a little fine tuning and reminders , but I would definitely give her kudos ( let her know I was suitably impressed ) and as suggested earlier have her get Ross Bentley's book. The reading will just encourage her excitement and be a helpful reminder on what to focus on next time she is in the car on track.

What a great time to spend with your daughter, and she ( and you ) will cherish this special relationship time for many years to come. Enjoy my friend!!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
When I started with my daughter both on track and on the road, she needed to work on hand placement also. In her case she would leave her right hand on the shifter. Left hand at 9 and right at 3 ......or the shifter. Several verbal warnings and discussions did little. A tap on the hand when she was not shifting but had her hand on the shifter worked the first time. Who knew.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Absolutely the biggest problem with hand placement is the right hand on the gearshift. Can be unbelievably difficult to get folks to stop that bad habit and therefore with the auto V6 it is one less thing you daughter has to overcome as she begins her new hobby!

Talking to Ford and Chrysler Engineers over the years, they even stress the constant placement ( though it seems like little weight of the hand ) on the gearshift is hard on the tranny.

drano38

Wayne
I've always been taught 9 and 3 hand position.
At one of my first track events, my instructor was a retired Navy pilot. I'm a retired Air Force pilot, so we got along well.
How did he teach me to keep my hand off the shifter? Easy. He put his hand on my hand. Cured that habit immediately!
Of course, I harassed him that wanting his hand on another man's must be a navy thing. We had fun with it.

Wow, that young lady did a great job at Laguna Seca!

I would highly recommend that before any first time inexperienced driver goes on the track (even with an instructor), they take a intense teenage highway survival class. It teaches a lot of car control subjects that cannot be done on a live track with an instructor.....like repetitive emergency braking and how the ABS reacts, controlling a skid, emergency lane maneuvers, etc. I sent both my son and daughter to the then Jim Russell version of this class at Sonoma 10 years ago:

My daughter and son both have commented on how they have been able to avoid on street accidents because of the techniques learned during this course. Probably the best thing that I've ever bought for my kids.

The next big step is a 3 or 4 day driving school....again, being able to do repetitive techniques (like practicing heel/toe downshifting, skid pad or skid car control, etc puts a new driver interested in track days just that much ahead of the curve. If a young driver is serious about doing on track driving, the expense of a 3 or 4 day driving school is definitely worth it compared to one moderate crash into a tire wall.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great idea and many SCCA Regions offer events called Street Survival that do a similar type school on a smaller scale , but they are another good start for those young drivers. Nice post and definitely a great idea to put out to parents with teenagers.

TMO Supporting Vendors