The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dry Sump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMO this and an oil cooler should do it. Dry sumps can have their own set of problems, the biggest is getting debris in the drive belt and throwing it, the other is having the oil line plug up or delaminating internally. Also, if you do have an engine come apart you will (or should) discard all of those dry sump lines.
A good wet pan a Moroso accusump and a big oil cooler should solve your problems.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/product/15-734/15-734---50-COYOTE-ROAD-RACE-T-PAN/

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=13600

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_Oil_Cooler.shtml

blacksheep-1 said:
IMO this and an oil cooler should do it. Dry sumps can have their own set of problems, the biggest is getting debris in the drive belt and throwing it, the other is having the oil line plug up or delaminating internally. Also, if you do have an engine come apart you will (or should) discard all of those dry sump lines.
A good wet pan a Moroso accusump and a big oil cooler should solve your problems.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/product/15-734/15-734---50-COYOTE-ROAD-RACE-T-PAN/

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=13600

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_Oil_Cooler.shtml

Cool. Thanks for the links. Yeah, I had been eyeing that cooltech oil cooler for a while, but I'm worried it will take too much room up front and not play nice with a supercharged intercooler...

I'm not as familiar with the new Mustangs as you guys but I would think you could put it (or a similar model) in the fenderwell, put an aluminum plate behind it so a tire doesn't take it out and duct it.

At the WC race at COTA this past weekend, two guys from Roush Yates said that the dry sump system for the Boss race cars "will be ready soon." They did not elaborate further.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I'm curious to see the R/Y solution as well, though I see the interest from teams varied from "why not" to "absolutely not unless its free". My understanding is that it will be pretty pricey.

Most of the WC teams are running the 302R pan and stock oiling system with several different oil cooler configurations.

I'm running an analog of the FR kit air/oil and Boss water/oil cooler, along with the moroso pan (very very nice baffling/trap door setup in line with the 302R pan).

yknot

Hobbies: Hot Rods & Shooting
The Dry Sump Oil System at the Pro-Weld shop has many options and variables. You can choose from a Cast Aluminum, Billet Aluminum or a Metal oil pan. The billet oil pan starts out as a 36 lb block of aluminum and is whittled down to a very small and beautifully oil pan, one that is exponentially stronger then any other pan made for the modular engine. Infarct many use it also as a bottom end griddle or block stiffener.
The dry sump system will allow you to set the engine some 7-8" lower in the chasssis...this is a tremendous amount of weight to lower that much, and does wonders for a cars handling. Most competitive cars in racing use a Dry Sump oiling System, the benefits include, lower center of gravity, lower oil temperatures, less wind age losses, better ring sealing, better oil return or drip back, much better oil circulation as you have the ability to use a much larger oil pump (volume) and can circulate much more oil Thur the engine and it's bearings. The engine oil will stay cooler, cleaner and have much less aeration (air in the oil). No worry about pressure drop, from added cooling, long hose length or dynamic force working against oil (acceleration and turns). Excel ant for Turbochargers. Helps engine breath better and extra large oil capacity allows for a better system.
The Corvette ZR1 has a Dry Sump oiling System and so Will the Z/28 Camaro. It is very prevalent in NASCAR and other racing venues. You have total control over the engine oil system, allowing better oil flow, custom oil pressure regulation, you get away from the troublesome modular engine oil pump, allows you to get the air out of the oil, prior to sending back through the pump and bearings. Really a great system and addition to any race car or street car, the only negative side is the cost...but even that is not so bad compared to many other cost you typically see in racing.

Yes ProWeld has a system for the 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L, and the 5.8L modular engines...

DGRacing said:
Good points Steve. The short races normally would make this system not as useful but i was considering its cooling benefits for supercharged applications too. And the east coast summer heat is brutal as you know. A time trialer stock C5 blew its motor and dumped its oil at VIR last month and my session blew threw the kitty litter on the front straight creating a huge dust plume. From there....got me thinking....lol

All the parts are easily gotten off drysump.com and/or chicane23

FWIW the LS series engines seem a little "light" in that respect, I think (I think) that they are the only ones that can run a dry sump in Grand Am for that reason. I wouldn't base my decision making process off of that.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sorry I had to remove this link as something has gone wrong with my Imageshack
you should be able to see the first run we did earlier when I get the rest I will post them

nz05gt, cant seem to access any of your pictures! :( Ive been drooling over your words, but have not seen anything lol. Real bummer, ive been trying to see more pictures of your hollinger set up, I would love to see a video of it all working on a track. Have you removed the photos? If your having trouble uploading, just send them to my email [email protected]

Thanks!

Sadil I will send some images

boss302s002.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel