The Mustang Forum for Track Enthusiasts

Track Mustangs Online was built specifically for those who track their Mustangs!

SN95 DSG New Edge-blown 4.6 to Coyote! Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Blair, Nebraska
W2W Racing
20+ Years
Sounds like a Super Sleeper! What kind of HP are you turning and more importantly how much does the KUKeeper weigh? The car definitely has an interesting history with a Ford Engineer the first owner. Thanks for sharing.

KUKeeper30

TMO Intermediate
MI
Thanks! Definitely working to keep it looking clean, as the previous owner kept it in great condition (still no rust, despite the amount of it's life spent in MI). Power-wise, it's tuned to 414 HP @ 6500 RPM, 380 lb-ft torque @ 4300 RPM. Conservative tune, the engine is still pretty much stock (want to keep everything reliable-ish). Redline is 7600, but I rarely rev it out that high (keep it closer to 7K).

The car has not been weighed (yet), my optimistic estimate is it weighs around 3100# w/o driver, given a starting weight of 3300# and assuming 200# weight savings from engine, k-member, and interior stripping.

Bill Pemberton

Blair, Nebraska
W2W Racing
20+ Years
That would be killer weight and definitely beneficial on tires, brakes and other wear. I applaud your idea of shifting a bit lower down ( mine goes to 7800 but I set redline at 7700 ) but I am pretty confident you could at least go to 7200 without any reliability issues. I am sure others will chime in on that, but it appears your mindset is conservative , so that was where I listed my suggestion.

Gotta ask is KU Keeper for Kentucky University, Kansas University , or something else. We do tend to be a nosy bunch, ha!?

KUKeeper30

TMO Intermediate
MI
That would be killer weight and definitely beneficial on tires, brakes and other wear. I applaud your idea of shifting a bit lower down ( mine goes to 7800 but I set redline at 7700 ) but I am pretty confident you could at least go to 7200 without any reliability issues. I am sure others will chime in on that, but it appears your mindset is conservative , so that was where I listed my suggestion.

Gotta ask is KU Keeper for Kentucky University, Kansas University , or something else. We do tend to be a nosy bunch, ha!?
Yep - intent is to keep the car at this same power level, while working to cool water and oil temps as much as possible, and reducing weight.

KU is Kettering University (engineering school in Michigan, formerly GMI). 'Keeper' is hockey goalie - my lifelong hobby before playing with cars, and still skating today when the car allows me the time to do so.

Bill Pemberton

Blair, Nebraska
W2W Racing
20+ Years
Well now we know, so folks we have another Engineer in the midst , so someone to take heed of his ideas, comments and suggestions........unless it has to do with women, and we all are on equal footing there ( yep, most of us don't really have a clue ).

KUKeeper30

TMO Intermediate
MI
Thanks Taylor! You steered me here in the first place to document the car's rebuild, and I have both received and read a lot of useful info in terms of putting the car back together as well as suspension setup ideas (as well as the constant itch of just buying an S197 already).

I had thought about doing billet OPG's before the engine went into the car, but money and time was tight at the time.. that will be on the list to do this coming winter once the car is in hibernation again. Need to protect this engine, fingers crossed it stays together for many track miles over the coming years.

KUKeeper30

TMO Intermediate
MI
Car is aligned, washed, and covered. Patiently waiting for the first event of the season at Grattan this coming weekend. After that, a weekend-long time trials event at Gingerman in mid-July. Looking forward to finally getting back on-track (literally and figuratively).
DC3977D1-9BEF-42A4-B206-C344A58B4D01.jpeg

Also-couldn’t help but drive the car out to get a small part for the mower, ended up finding specials on yard stuff. So, the mustang played the role of ‘shop truck’ for that particular afternoon..
AB060E29-38B3-4DFF-AFB1-20CF9663A894.jpeg

KUKeeper30

TMO Intermediate
MI
First event at Grattan complete, was a great (hot) day of open lapping.

Previous PB (pre-engine swap) at Grattan was 1:30 even, started the day lapping around 1:31-1:32. Unfortunately, at this pace, the car was grounding out pretty much everywhere (namely before/after the jump, and especially through T11.) The car is way too soft on it's current setup for Grattan. It was okay at Gingerman and Waterford Hills last year, on tracks where there aren't as many dips/jumps, but Grattan showed that the car has not nearly enough control. Ended up backing off to a pace closer to 1:34 so as to preserve the car.

I had passengers pretty much all day anyway and was on old tires, so was not chasing tenth's. A good, fun day of lapping in a car that ran all day and had no catastrophic failures (finally).

Already have another spring setup to try, and will ensure I add a bit of ride height for the next time I go back to Grattan.

No videos just yet (need to edit some stuff). Here's a few good action shots:

DSC_0017.JPGDSC_0035.JPGDSC_0038.JPGDSC_0054.JPGDSC_0066.JPGDSC_0068.JPG

In addition, some entertaining shots of the car through T12:

DSC_0073.JPGDSC_0086.JPGDSC_0087.JPGDSC_0088.JPGDSC_0091.JPGDSC_0092.JPG

Next up, a big Time Trials weekend in July.

steeda5

TMO Race
Had to be a great feeling just to get it on he track. After my coyote/roadrunner swap in my sn95 my spring rates were way out of wack as well. Honestly im still trying to find a good set up. Fyi, you probably took 150 lbs plus blower weight off the front end with that swap if you were coming from a iron block 2v. Sounds like not a bad shake down weekend though. What suspension do you have on there?

KUKeeper30

TMO Intermediate
MI
Had to be a great feeling just to get it on he track. After my coyote/roadrunner swap in my sn95 my spring rates were way out of wack as well. Honestly im still trying to find a good set up. Fyi, you probably took 150 lbs plus blower weight off the front end with that swap if you were coming from a iron block 2v. Sounds like not a bad shake down weekend though. What suspension do you have on there?
Definitely felt great to have the car on-track again. The few events I did with it last year never felt like I was driving a 'complete' car... no gauges, a 'roughed-in' alignment that ended up being not very good, and constantly babying the car due to uncertainty. This event, it actually felt like I was driving a complete car - drove straight, working gauges and shift light, brakes held up amazingly.

As for weight lost - 150# is very near what I had assumed, I had assumed a 200# weight savings up front due to the items mentioned, plus adding a tubular front subframe and LCA's.

Car's suspension is MM kit up front (tubular subframe/LCA's/camber plates/bump-steer kit/steering gear bushings), with Koni yellow double-adjustables. Rear is also solid-axle, MM kit (torque arm/panhard rod/LCA's), also Koni yellow double-adjustables. I believe the bars are the Steeda parts (1.375" hollow front, 1" solid rear).

The spring setup assumes the weight loss, as well as a MR change to go from standard spring/shock to coilover... I have the previous corner weights and spring rates, my initial goal was to match the previous wheel rates (as I liked how the car rode pre-Coyote). All I can think is that I mis-assumed my motion ratios, or the car didn't lose as much weight as initially thought. Need to get new corner weights ASAP. Current front/rear ride frequencies (calculated - suspect there are errors) are at 1.24 & 1.62 respectively, I have a different spring setup that will bump up to 1.75 & 2.12. During the process of changing springs, I will do some measurements to capture the true motion ratio of the shocks to see how close my initial calculations were, and go from there. Looking forward to Gingerman next month!

steeda5

TMO Race
Seeing you have all MM suspension you can contact them for spring rate issues. If you buy the springs from them its free info. If you don't buy your springs from them there is a charge for there advice. I have the same back half set up, with a SLA front. So I can't help that much with spring rates.

KUKeeper30

TMO Intermediate
MI
Thanks-didn’t realize it was free when you bought parts from them. Tried calling today, got put on hold for nearly 20 min before I hung up. Will install the other springs I have this weekend, and see what shock adjustments feel like on local roads.

Also-did an underbody inspection, and turns out the front subframe was working overtime to protect the engine....
3721D142-F0E8-4C3C-9182-EA1BFFE98C97.jpegAA28411F-ED5C-44B6-A64E-A38B345D1C9A.jpeg

Anti

TMO Intermediate
Somewhere
Thanks-didn’t realize it was free when you bought parts from them. Tried calling today, got put on hold for nearly 20 min before I hung up. Will install the other springs I have this weekend, and see what shock adjustments feel like on local roads.

Also-did an underbody inspection, and turns out the front subframe was working overtime to protect the engine....
View attachment 17813View attachment 17814
Eww, good thing you did back off some, huh.

KUKeeper30

TMO Intermediate
MI
Eww, good thing you did back off some, huh.
Absolutely - another 1/2" or so, and the oil pan drain plug would have started to file away... the car was fine last year at Waterford and Gingerman, it was never driven fast at Grattan (did Grattan, but was in pouring rain)... goes to show how much more elevation change there is at Grattan!

KUKeeper30

TMO Intermediate
MI
As promised, some video footage of the car at Grattan... many scrapes, a few mistakes (okay, maybe a bit more than 'a few') but lots of fun. At first glance, steer inputs into turns need to slow down a bit (pretty much everywhere), and need to be more smooth with throttle applications.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel