The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 DSG New Edge-blown 4.6 to Coyote! Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Site moderators - this is the previous build thread for the Kukeeper30-mobile. Could this be merged with the new 'official' build thread, started 5/26 of this year?

Thanks!

When you and your car are working together and "humming" at the track, things couldn't be better!!!!...But if either of you are off that day..it makes for a long day sad to say....As long as both of you can come home in one piece, the day was not a total waste......Race to Live or Live to Race...it really doesn't matter, does it???

Had a shorter-than-expected day at Waterford Hills yesterday.. had a great first session, warmed up for the first couple of laps, getting used to the newfound tire grip, then three or four flyer laps. Brakes started acting weird after that, cooled down and came in.
IMG_7564.JPGIMG_7565.JPG

The front driver's side of the engine bay was covered in oil, but took a lot to figure out exactly what was happening. I believe it was a combination of blow-by, and a slightly-loose oil filter. Going to finally install some catch cans, as well as go with a slightly heavier weight oil. Thought it was a serious leak somewhere, so the car did not run any more sessions, but only after I got the car home did we realize what happened (not as bad as initially thought.)
IMG_7557.jpg

I also am going to look at rerouting the oil lines going to/from the cooler, as I never liked how these are wedged between the body core support and the rad.
IMG_7558.jpg

Positive outcomes include the termi hood definitely helped keep water temp in check. Temp climbed to 215, and leveled there. Should be better with a bit more venting in the hood. Additionally, was very happy with how the car behaved on slick tires.

Video of the one session the car completed before oil was noticed... did not want to risk spilling any oil on-track while running additional sessions.

A few more tweaks and updates, and the car will run two more events in September before going into hibernation for the winter (and more updates, of course).

A very bittersweet day - the car is now listed for sale in classified's:

Anyone interested can reach out on here. Hate to see the car go, but life priorities are quickly changing. Would love to see this car go to a fellow mustang track enthusiast. An asking price is listed, but any reasonable offer will be considered.

Thanks,

-Matt

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
A very bittersweet day - the car is now listed for sale in classified's:

Anyone interested can reach out on here. Hate to see the car go, but life priorities are quickly changing. Would love to see this car go to a fellow mustang track enthusiast. An asking price is listed, but any reasonable offer will be considered.

Thanks,

-Matt
Oh no, that was pretty sudden. Hope everything is okay.

Oh no, that was pretty sudden. Hope everything is okay.

Yep, nothing bad prompted the sale - just future life events (all good things) that will demand much more time than giving this car the attention (and $$$) it needs. Therefore, would rather get the car on the market earlier on, especially while it is in good condition, rather than continue driving it and holding back (knowing I will have to sell it later.)

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Yep, nothing bad prompted the sale - just future life events (all good things) that will demand much more time than giving this car the attention (and $$$) it needs. Therefore, would rather get the car on the market earlier on, especially while it is in good condition, rather than continue driving it and holding back (knowing I will have to sell it later.)
Well that's good to hear, and I understand how difficult the decision is.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I obviously don't know your situation but just in case the situation is having a baby which usually prompts these kind of things, don't sell the car. If it's something else, carry on. Either way none of my business.

Despite the car now technically being for sale, still finishing small projects in preparation for the last few events.

Finished mounting the oil catch can, was one of the easier projects I've done. Hopefully this helps with the whole 'keep the oil in the engine and out of the intake' thing.
IMG_7569.jpgIMG_7569.jpg

Also spaced the oil cooler down a bit so that it sits more in the lower fascia opening.
IMG_7571.jpgIMG_7572.jpg

Next up: fixing the oil pressure gauge, installing the hood louvers, and putting the car back together. Plenty of time before the next event.

Quick question on oil for those with more experience tracking coyotes (specifically gen 2's.)
I have always run 5w30 in this engine.. given the duty cycle of this engine and the amount of blow-by noticed, is this okay? Should I be running something heavier (10w40 or 5w50)? This car now only sees hard track driving, I don't drive it on the street unless it's for a quick shakedown. Don't want to start a huge debate, just asking for those who hard-track a Coyote to provide feedback.

IMG_7570.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Despite the car now technically being for sale, still finishing small projects in preparation for the last few events.

Finished mounting the oil catch can, was one of the easier projects I've done. Hopefully this helps with the whole 'keep the oil in the engine and out of the intake' thing.
View attachment 57555View attachment 57555

Also spaced the oil cooler down a bit so that it sits more in the lower fascia opening.
View attachment 57557View attachment 57558

Next up: fixing the oil pressure gauge, installing the hood louvers, and putting the car back together. Plenty of time before the next event.

Quick question on oil for those with more experience tracking coyotes (specifically gen 2's.)
I have always run 5w30 in this engine.. given the duty cycle of this engine and the amount of blow-by noticed, is this okay? Should I be running something heavier (10w40 or 5w50)? This car now only sees hard track driving, I don't drive it on the street unless it's for a quick shakedown. Don't want to start a huge debate, just asking for those who hard-track a Coyote to provide feedback.

View attachment 57556
Running Royal Purple XPR 10W40, only street/highway miles are to and from the track. I get very little oil in the catch can, even after running in 100+ degree temps like the last few outings. I’m sure each engine varies with the amount of blow by, but I like having the extra viscosity, especially when it’s hot.

A few more small projects done on the Mustang before the next event happens:

-Had an issue where the ground strap would walk itself off the terminal on the battery, re-drilled the battery box hole lower so the cable is more flat going through the battery box to the battery

-Voltmeter / fuel gauge pooped out, sent to Autometer to get a new one

-Completed install of hood vents on the termi hood, they look awesome! (Thanks again to PatientZero)
IMG_7601.jpgIMG_7602.jpgIMG_7603.jpg

-Going to try 5W50 in the engine for the next event, will also keep an eye on oil level in the new catch can throughout the day.

Still a few weeks to go before the next event (Gingerman on 9/20), just need to get the interior back together once Autometer sends the new gauge.

I swear this car is both a blessing and a curse... even though I am trying to sell it, I have my eye on buying a Kenny Brown front brake ducting kit.....

So, first thing's first - the car will be kept for the foreseeable future. Of course, after listing the car for sale, and throughout the last few weekends driving the car at both Gingerman and Grattan, the car drives the best it has ever driven. The stiffer spring setup (and adjusting damping to match) helped a ton. I have shaved seconds (not tenths-of-seconds, seconds) off PB's at these tracks on street tires, but the car also feels much more stable. All of this performance, and the car is also more reliable than ever. I do not need to sell the car, and love driving it, therefore will not sell it and will continue to improve it.

At Gingerman, the car still lifts the left front pretty drastically on slicks through T9. Everywhere else, it was great, plenty of time to find in braking zones, especially on slicks. Water temp never went above 210 deg F with the new termi hood w/ extra venting. Oil temps still hover around 280-290 deg F towards the end of run sessions. Going to work on boxing the rad & oil cooler to the grille inlets over the winter. Had an incident where I kept overflowing the catch can, turns out I forgot to pop the check valve out of the PCV outlet on the passenger-side cylinder head.
DSC_0330.JPGDSC_0346.JPGDSC_0383.JPGDSC_0398.JPG

At Grattan, gone is the constant ground contact through the jump and T11. Set a PB of 1:28.7 there on street tires (brake pads got too thin to comfortably push more with slicks). Don't have action shots, just a couple pictures from the morning before getting on-track. Also - the aforementioned PCV check valve removal showed that was the simple fix for the overflowing catch can - after running hard all day, there was less than a TSP of oil in the can, oil level and pressure stayed fine all day.
IMG_7717.jpgIMG_7718.jpg

Edit: Also, I was able to get corner weights for the car with & without driver in the car, results below:
1601343584795.png

Comparing vehicle weights pre- and post-engine swap, the car weighed 3647# before the swap. Based on old corner weights, the car lost 274# off the front axle, and 54# off the rear axle. Based on the cross-car weight split, need to get some weight onto the RR corner.. by either moving components, ride height adjustments between LF & RR, or both. Just another useful bit of data on the car.

Going through video footage and will share videos from Gingerman and Grattan once available.

Plenty of small projects planned for the car this winter, will keep the updates coming as these projects are completed.

Last edited:
As promised, some video from the last few events for the car this season:

Note: don't do what I did at around the 7 min mark on the Grattan video... that crest at T8 is no joke!

Last edited:
Been a while since I've updated this... with the first snowflakes falling in MI over the last week, the car is done for the season. So, the winter projects can begin!

Made another close-out plate for the center stack, since the oil gauges moved to the main cluster. Just has the OBD/MIL for the new engine on it for now.

IMG_7840.jpg

Also deconstructed the front end of the car so that I could install the road-race oil pan sitting on the shelf since before the new engine was installed..... I find it funny that the Moroso 'Coyote-Swap' road race oil pan had huge clearance issues to the BBK 'Coyote-Swap' headers.. anyway, trimmed the corner down, it's now at a friend's to get a plate welded on to cover up the hole. Once back, and once it's cleaned out, that can get installed. Will also spend some time removing a lot of the old wiring that is not needed, but was bundled out of the way.

62612378401__9B065AE0-CBD5-40AA-A6F8-4B1C792CB36D.jpg62612474679__4B9E9382-776B-42EF-9234-E6C996145819.jpg

Plenty of other small projects as the winter goes on, will continue to update this in chunks as items get checked off the 'to-do' list.

TMO Supporting Vendors