The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 DSG New Edge-blown 4.6 to Coyote! Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Been a while since I've updated this... with the first snowflakes falling in MI over the last week, the car is done for the season. So, the winter projects can begin!

Made another close-out plate for the center stack, since the oil gauges moved to the main cluster. Just has the OBD/MIL for the new engine on it for now.

View attachment 59493

Also deconstructed the front end of the car so that I could install the road-race oil pan sitting on the shelf since before the new engine was installed..... I find it funny that the Moroso 'Coyote-Swap' road race oil pan had huge clearance issues to the BBK 'Coyote-Swap' headers.. anyway, trimmed the corner down, it's now at a friend's to get a plate welded on to cover up the hole. Once back, and once it's cleaned out, that can get installed. Will also spend some time removing a lot of the old wiring that is not needed, but was bundled out of the way.

View attachment 59494View attachment 59495

Plenty of other small projects as the winter goes on, will continue to update this in chunks as items get checked off the 'to-do' list.
I know for another vehicle application, Moroso had made a pan that didn't clear ARP bottom end main studs. Seems like that would be an obvious design consideration, but I know they can't always take all the different aftermarket parts into consideration - especially for a platform like the Mustang.

I know for another vehicle application, Moroso had made a pan that didn't clear ARP bottom end main studs. Seems like that would be an obvious design consideration, but I know they can't always take all the different aftermarket parts into consideration - especially for a platform like the Mustang.

For sure - can definitely appreciate that there are pretty much infinite configs of Mustangs with aftermarket parts, especially when considering engine transplants. I would just be curious to know if this particular road race pan was designed with clearance considerations to any specific headers, or if they were just targeting the same volume for the left & right-side reserve oil compartments regardless of how far the compartments stuck out.. also just me venting about a part I cannot return due to having it on a shelf for a year without bothering to test-fit until now :)

I have the same pan with Kooks swap headers. I had to remove about an inch from the full length of the passenger side wing to clear.

Odd... I recently found a few other instances of people using this pan with the BBK-swap headers as well.

At least the sheet metal was thin enough that I was able to cut with just a metal coping saw... didn't have to go crazy with a cutoff wheel or anything.

I have the same oil pan on my SN95/Boss 302 swap. I used the same BBK coyote swap headers as well. I had to trim a little off the passenger side of the Moroso oil pan. Lots of little things to this swap. Well worth it in the end! Ive been using the Peterson oil catch/breather can and have had no issues. Good luck and keep your great work. Love your build.

Even though some time has passed, not a lot has happened with the car... still planning a clean-up project for the electrical system, other than that not a lot is planned for the car in this winter season. Starting to register for events this coming season, looking forward to getting on track!

In the meantime, I recently bought some stuff so that I can enjoy driving / improve techniques year-round, especially during the current 'stay-at-home' time..

IMG_8176.jpg

Getting used to the rig in Forza, Project Cars, and starting to practice on iRacing.. it's good fun, especially when I would otherwise just be dreaming about driving on-track!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Even though some time has passed, not a lot has happened with the car... still planning a clean-up project for the electrical system, other than that not a lot is planned for the car in this winter season. Starting to register for events this coming season, looking forward to getting on track!

In the meantime, I recently bought some stuff so that I can enjoy driving / improve techniques year-round, especially during the current 'stay-at-home' time..

View attachment 61490

Getting used to the rig in Forza, Project Cars, and starting to practice on iRacing.. it's good fun, especially when I would otherwise just be dreaming about driving on-track!
Nice gaming setup! My buddy used plans he found online to make his out of ABS plastic piping - his functions well enough, but yours looks nicer. :)

Nice gaming setup! My buddy used plans he found online to make his out of ABS plastic piping - his functions well enough, but yours looks nicer. :)
Appreciate kind words on the sim setup! I easily could have gone cheaper, but did a ton of research on what to purchase/avoid, and decided I wanted to be at a mid-cost build (not the best-of-the-best, but a few steps above 'arcade-feeling'.) I like the tunability of the setup, the first few months of having this were solely dedicated to getting used to sim-racing, and setting up the controls to where it feels most like an actual car (still have some work to do, but getting the hang of it.)

In a nutshell, all the controls are from Fanatec, the rig/chassis is from TrakRacer, and the seat is actually the passenger seat from my car that will get swapped between the sim rig and the car for those events where I will have passengers in the car. Had huge issues with my knee getting upset at first, I'm probably at revision 40 or so of positioning the wheel/pedals/shifter/seat where it feels most like a standard car cockpit. Only over the last few weeks have I been able to comfortably drive for a prolonged session and have my knee not act up, so it's much better than it was before.

Still using up the cold days here by getting as much practice laps as I can in on iRacing, jumping into races once I feel comfortable enough to do so (not setting any lap records, but happy when I can be competitive.)
IMG_8336.jpg

Now for updates on the grey machine...

First event is coming up next month, the slightly-more-serious prep work has begun...

Swapped out front springs for units with the same rate, but with 2" more of free length - want to get a bit more front ride height in the car, as the front seems reluctant to roll, causing excessive front push. Plus, this gives me some more freedom on ride heights, as the old springs had the adjustment perches at the very top of the threaded body, with the car still a bit low for my taste.

Also went a step up in rear rate, as findings from last season seemed to show that the rear had good up travel, but felt a bit loose. I have the largest OD rear bar I could find, and don't have the $$$ for the Maximum rear adjustable bar. So, I'm adding rear rate (not a lot - just breathing on it) while keeping the trim height about the same.

Also also - have a bump steer guage (finally) and will be setting it properly

Car went on a bit of a wiring diet, as I stripped a lot of the old stuff out of the car for the old engine (but keeping what I need, of course). Have a complete schematic of the car's electrical system in book form, that now has lots of sticky notes, highlighter, and pen marks in it.

Below is the biggest-deal area: lots of stuff that used to be tied up in the right-front quarter panel, has now been reduced to 5 or so key signal wires for ABS and the cooling fan to function properly.

Before:
IMG_8267.jpg

After (loomed up all the wires seen here after taking this picture):
IMG_8290.jpg

Gingerman in a few weeks!

More small tasks completed:

String-aligned the car (as best as I could get it, anyway)
IMG_8367.jpgIMG_8368.jpg

Finally finished installing front inlets for brake ducts (Kenny Brown kit)
IMG_8369.jpg

More footage to come from Gingerman in a few weeks!

First event of 2021 season: good 'back-at-it' laps, but way off pace from last year.

Working on some different shift strategies to find speed on corner-exit, need to get used to some of the changes made over the winter.

Anyway, here's a video of some laps! Car gets a bit of a break now, then Waterford Hills in June.

Well, been pretty radio-silent on here this season... the main reason for this is that the car has actually been running very reliably, to the point where I've just been changing tires, monitoring brakes, changing oil, and driving & enjoying the car.. so other than posting videos of laps in the car, I really did not have a lot of updates to post throughout the season.

The car saw quite a few outings at Gingerman & Waterford Hills, with a planned weekend at Grattan resulting in so much downpouring rain that I decided to not attend (for fear of crashing, as well as other conflicts).

Waterford Hills
IMG_8627.JPGIMG_8628.JPG

Gingerman Time Trials
IMG_8773.jpgIMG_8774.jpgIMG_8775.jpg

Gingerman Season-Ender
MG-00043.JPGMG-01199.JPG

The season-ender was particularly special, as my dad was able to get his newly-acquired GT350 on track for his first laps in a personal car (his background is Chassis / dynamics, but this was the first time he was able to enjoy his toy car on-track).

He then let me take it out on-track for a session. I am blown away by how great the car is in it's stock form. Although heavier, I loved the brakes, power, and handling balance (much more neutral than my car). Anyone looking to replace a GT350 with a Coyote New Edge? :)

Below is a video from one of the Gingerman sessions from the last event of the season for me. Was able to improve my PB at this track by about 1 second, even though I was still on my fairly-old RS4's.

So, the car is now in hibernation for the winter. Not a lot of 'upgrades' are planned for the car, just some small rebuild projects and weight redistribution:

-GT500 valve covers going on (had an instance of milky oil in the catch can, my belief is that the baffling and material changes to the GT500 heads will help keep them properly oiled. Plus having a drain port for the catch can to drain back into is a bonus.)

-Rear axle pinion seal is slight-leaking gear oil, been meaning to check out the overall 'health' of the axle/diff/etc anyway. So, a full axle rebuild will take place.

-Invested in some corner scales to better set-up the weight of the car.

-Going to work on sealing-up the interior a bit. I love the way the car sounds, but it is quite loud inside, (even with earplugs) so I plan on removing the dash and sealing up firewall holes, then going with either dynamat pads or a spray-on sealer/sound-absorption product like Lizard Skin or similar.

After car projects, we will wait for baby to arrive early next year, then introduce our new daughter to the racetrack world next season.

Thanks all!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Michigan
Well, been pretty radio-silent on here this season... the main reason for this is that the car has actually been running very reliably, to the point where I've just been changing tires, monitoring brakes, changing oil, and driving & enjoying the car.. so other than posting videos of laps in the car, I really did not have a lot of updates to post throughout the season.

The car saw quite a few outings at Gingerman & Waterford Hills, with a planned weekend at Grattan resulting in so much downpouring rain that I decided to not attend (for fear of crashing, as well as other conflicts).

Waterford Hills
View attachment 68921View attachment 68922

Gingerman Time Trials
View attachment 68923View attachment 68924View attachment 68925

Gingerman Season-Ender
View attachment 68926View attachment 68927

The season-ender was particularly special, as my dad was able to get his newly-acquired GT350 on track for his first laps in a personal car (his background is Chassis / dynamics, but this was the first time he was able to enjoy his toy car on-track).

He then let me take it out on-track for a session. I am blown away by how great the car is in it's stock form. Although heavier, I loved the brakes, power, and handling balance (much more neutral than my car). Anyone looking to replace a GT350 with a Coyote New Edge? :)

Below is a video from one of the Gingerman sessions from the last event of the season for me. Was able to improve my PB at this track by about 1 second, even though I was still on my fairly-old RS4's.

So, the car is now in hibernation for the winter. Not a lot of 'upgrades' are planned for the car, just some small rebuild projects and weight redistribution:

-GT500 valve covers going on (had an instance of milky oil in the catch can, my belief is that the baffling and material changes to the GT500 heads will help keep them properly oiled. Plus having a drain port for the catch can to drain back into is a bonus.)

-Rear axle pinion seal is slight-leaking gear oil, been meaning to check out the overall 'health' of the axle/diff/etc anyway. So, a full axle rebuild will take place.

-Invested in some corner scales to better set-up the weight of the car.

-Going to work on sealing-up the interior a bit. I love the way the car sounds, but it is quite loud inside, (even with earplugs) so I plan on removing the dash and sealing up firewall holes, then going with either dynamat pads or a spray-on sealer/sound-absorption product like Lizard Skin or similar.

After car projects, we will wait for baby to arrive early next year, then introduce our new daughter to the racetrack world next season.

Thanks all!
Have you had a chance to get your car on the scales? If so, what does it weigh?

Have you had a chance to get your car on the scales? If so, what does it weigh?

yep-I have corner weights in a previous post when I had it put on someone else’s scales at the track, but also recently acquired my own scales. Measurement here is with me in the car and a full gas tank. Need to work on cross-weight…

6F2EDEE9-B671-4BC8-BECA-A400DED5C490.jpeg

Hello everyone, been rather silent on here... car has continued to treat me well, and I was able to get out to Waterford Hills recently and enjoy the car for what it was primarily built for:

48C8C5B4-E047-41EE-93D9-1FA6B643261B.jpegE37400C4-3F9D-4F08-A717-FEA3B1CD8B16.jpegE5A70B6D-1D8D-470B-9DA7-B008EEC2A96D.jpeg

However, since the car is in good running order now, and I have a lot of ideal upgrade projects that will cost me way too much $$, it makes more sense to move onto the next car while this one is in one piece. So, the car is actually listed on Cars & Bids, an enthusiast-minded auction site. Check it out, follow along, bid if you’re looking for a unique and fun track toy!

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9abn8B0E/2003-ford-mustang-gt-coupe

Hello everyone, been rather silent on here... car has continued to treat me well, and I was able to get out to Waterford Hills recently and enjoy the car for what it was primarily built for:

View attachment 76264View attachment 76266View attachment 76267

However, since the car is in good running order now, and I have a lot of ideal upgrade projects that will cost me way too much $$, it makes more sense to move onto the next car while this one is in one piece. So, the car is actually listed on Cars & Bids, an enthusiast-minded auction site. Check it out, follow along, bid if you’re looking for a unique and fun track toy!

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9abn8B0E/2003-ford-mustang-gt-coupe

Bidding ends today - hope this goes to a good home! Follow along to see how much money I lose... so far, it's a lot..

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Michigan
Oh man, I've been watching it just out of curiosity in case I ever had to part with my car. These auctions tend to ramp up at the end. Nobody wants to push the bid up too high, too quickly.

It has made me think twice about turning my car into a track-only toy right now, though. I think Carmine Pace is trying to sell his Yote swapped New Edge AI car, also, and is still available. Think he was asking $29k for it. But it's a turn-key race car.

Good luck!

Thanks brother - just hoping to get a fair amount so I can get into the next track toy, will just wait and see how many people are interested in a streetable, track-focused coyote new edge. Yeah-not expecting $29k, but hoping for a little more than $7k.... :)

Loving the cage build on yours as well though... worst case is you can get another cheap new edge as a street car!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Michigan
Thanks brother - just hoping to get a fair amount so I can get into the next track toy, will just wait and see how many people are interested in a streetable, track-focused coyote new edge. Yeah-not expecting $29k, but hoping for a little more than $7k.... :)

Loving the cage build on yours as well though... worst case is you can get another cheap new edge as a street car!
Well, at least you're closing this chapter with $10k in your pocket for the next project! Someone got a smokin' deal!

TMO Supporting Vendors