The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

DSS Drive Shaft Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I installed my DSS driveshaft yesterday and seeing how it didnt come with instuctions thought I would post a how to on it.

562228_408171709215406_100000677422918_1275683_1059825882_n.jpg

Tools used:
Air Impact gun
8mm Allen socket
12MM 12point socket
10mm swivel socket
13mm swivel socket
10" extension
6" extension
15MM socket deep well

1. Jack rear of car up by its centersection on a level surface or lift the car up on a lift (release parking brake and take it out of gear)
2. If using a floor jack put rear of car on stands and let rear hang.
3. Using 15MM Deep well socket loosen h-pipe to axle tubes band clamps.
4. Pry the release tabs up so you can pull the clamps back to let the axle tubes hang.
5. Remove (6) 10MM bolts on the rear or the driveshaft to the rear axle using the swivel socket. use a different socket at your own peril I did on the first bolt and rounded it off in two seconds and took me 2 hours to get it off. Once off let the rear part of the drivesahft hang.
6. Using 12MM 12point socket remove the FWD 4 bolts on the drive shaft to the transmission. Once loose you may need to knock it around with a hammer to get it loose from the trans.
7. Remove the two 13MM bolts holding the center carrier bearing bolts. BE READY FOR 41LBS TO COME FREE!!!!!!
8. Your stock driveshaft is now free and ready to become a boat anchor. Remove it pulling it out towards the back.
9. Install the adapter flange using Blue loctite and 8MM allen socket (I used the impact gun and just hit them on full bore)
9. Slide new DSS shaft in from the rear the same way the stock came out but in reverse.
10. Reinstall the FWD (4) 12MM bolts again applying blue loctite or red (red will be harder to remove in future removals) ( I again hit it with the impact gun didnt use a torque wrench but I am sure there is a spec for it)
11. Bolt rear of driveshaft to the adaptor plate using the supplied 8MM allen bolts and blue or red loctite. Torque to 57ftlbs.
12. Reattach the axle tubes to the h-pipe and tighten clamps and knock down the tabs back in place.
13. Put full load on the rear wheels and take the supplied measurement that came in the directions.
14. You are now done congrats.

This is a how to so please keep the comments related to how to install it and not stray as to the merit of the driveshaft or anything of the such PLEASE! Start a new thread in the general forum thats what its for.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Can you please post a pic of what the stock anchor looks like? Also, by wobble sockets you mean something like this? I don't have a set and need to have the right tools for the job.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5957002208P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I guess the word I was going for was flex socket set
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934446000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
but the wobble extrension with a shallow socket will probably work as well as you dont need that much of an angle to get the socket fully seated on the bolt head.

As for the pic I got the stock driveshaft all boxed up and put away but here is a pic I found online
mmfp_1103_11_o+2007_ford_mustang_gt_drivetrain_upgrades+driveshaft_comparison.jpg

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Justin

Is this driveshaft that you installed DSS Part Number FDSH22-A-CV1? Would you know if they will use the same part on the 13s? Also, did you install front and back safety loops?

MMD

Justin

MakeMyDay said:
Justin

Is this driveshaft that you installed DSS Part Number FDSH22-A-CV1? Would you know if they will use the same part on the 13s? Also, did you install front and back safety loops?

MMD
this is the part number as per lethalperformance's ite where I ordered it
FDSH22-A-CV1 - 2
its listed there as a part for 2012-2013 bosses. I am pretty sure the drive train is identical in both years.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/2012-2013-boss-mustang-302/driveline/driveshafts-and-loops/driveshafts/dss/dss-2011-mustang-gt-3-5-1000hp-aluminum-driveshaft-manual.html

If you order it use discount code ALLFORDS it will get you the shipping for free

As for the loops no I didnt install them. Going to once I get enough money to buy them

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I thought you meant flex-head socket, hadn't heard the term 'wobble socket' til I searched it up on Sears. Thanks. So the total time it took to order, manufactured, and then out to UPS was just over 5 weeks? Wishful thinking for an early Aug Boss delivery makes me think I should order just after 4th of July...

Justin

ace72ace said:
I thought you meant flex-head socket, hadn't heard the term 'wobble socket' til I searched it up on Sears. Thanks. So the total time it took to order, manufactured, and then out to UPS was just over 5 weeks? Wishful thinking for an early Aug Boss delivery makes me think I should order just after 4th of July...
order to delivery was 4 weeks I believe. well almost five if you count the three attempts for the UPS guy to deliver it while I was home (had to take off early from work)

Since this is the install thread, can you post a "review" of the driveshaft after you have had it in for a while. This mod is something I'm seriously considering so I would love to hear your experience.

Justin

Tflong24 said:
Since this is the install thread, can you post a "review" of the driveshaft after you have had it in for a while. This mod is something I'm seriously considering so I would love to hear your experience.
I will. I would like to wait till I get it on the 1/4" mile track to see how the 60' or MPH has improved.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Justin,

Can one assume that you cannot do this install with the rear up on ramps?

I do not have access to an Impact gun, would a 1/2 inch torque wrench do?

Is the design of this DS such that it can only be oriented in one and only one angular orientation?...or it doesn't matter?

What is the purpose of the measurement you took and to what degree of accuracy is needed to make this measurement (eg, +/- 1/16th inch)?

MMD

MakeMyDay said:
Justin,

You might be able to rent one from an autoparts store or borrow one from the public library. I have done both for tools I only need once, not all stores and libraries do it but many do.

Justin

MakeMyDay said:
Justin,

Is the design of this DS such that it can only be oriented in one and only one angular orientation?...or it doesn't matter?

What is the purpose of the measurement you took and to what degree of accuracy is needed to make this measurement (eg, +/- 1/16th inch)?

MMD
No you really cant do it on ramps as you need to turn the driveshaft to get to all the bolts.

You can do this with hand tools just takes more time. You would need to have the parking brake on...remove a bolt.....release parking brake....turn driveshaft to the next bolt.....engage parking brake. This would be how you would have to do it to reinstall the bolts. The torque isnt that high that you need a 1/2" torque wrench a 3/8" torque wrench that will go to that range will work. You will still want to use loctite on the threads.

As for the driveshaft is has a CV style joint at the tail end so it will move with the rear just like the stock one does....similar joint just much beefier.

The measurement is to make sure that the driveshaft is the right length and that its not pulling the joint out or in to far. Mine was a hair outside of this measurement. 3.754" I used dail calipers. I emailed DSS and they told me that I was fine they give a smaller range just to make sure that some one doesnt go beyond 3"-4". I took the measurement with the back wheels on ramps.

Hope that answers your questions.

Justin

Flyboygsxr said:
My DSS I just got in the mail doesn't have the rubber boot on it like the picture you posted. Is this a problem? I ordered through Lethal Performance.
the one in the picture isnt a DSS

I would like to know if the 4'' Drive shaft is going to give me clearence problems in the future, I have MGW with heat shield,car is not lowered at this time.Is the 4'' better than the 3 1/2'' Driveshaft. I'am leaning toward Axle Exchange seems they produce a very good product.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Pitt302 said:
I would like to know if the 4'' Drive shaft is going to give me clearence problems in the future, I have MGW with heat shield,car is not lowered at this time.Is the 4'' better than the 3 1/2'' Driveshaft. I'am leaning toward Axle Exchange seems they produce a very good product.

I have a 4.0" DS from AE and there are no clearance issues even with T springs and a Magna Flow 3.0" X-Pipe cat back system. I will say once I lowered the car, the exhaust had a slight issue with the KB panhard bar brace. I had to use a custom brace to lower the body side mount of the brace.

But as far as the AE 4.0" DS, it's one of my best upgrades to my Boss. Saves weight and improves Throttle response and weight transfer on WOT.

As far as the picture above that compares the two driveshafts, the one piece DS pictured looks like my AE DS with u-joints on each end.

Good luck with your mods,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Pitt302 said:
Good to know,I like your car's stance, T spring for mine someday.I don't see anything Boss 302 specific on there site,what shaft did you order?

I contacted Mark Perussi at Axle Exchange in NJ. I dropped by his shop, nice operation, I went with the 4.0" unit for 2012 / 13 V8 Mustangs with the MT-82 transmission. You can find install instructions here

http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/13791-pimp-your-boss/page-16

It starts on page 14 or 15, but the install is on page 16 with detailed instructions on post 303. You will see another member who recommended the AE DS named RaceRat. She is a very reputable source from Austin, TX.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes,
- 302 HP

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel