The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

DSS Driveshaft Failed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
So my driveshaft gave out yesterday...I was on my way to the Nurburgring with my buddy and I started to get this weird vibration. It was random and would come and go and I wasn't sure what it was. Finally the car started to vibrate so violently that I had to pull over and could no longer drive the car...not even in first gear at 5mph. It was so violent it shook every part of the car and if I hadn't been going so slow I might not have been able to control the car. There was a metal on metal grinding sound that I thought for sure the driveshaft had come apart. I couldn't get under the car to see because I was on the Autobahn. I had to pay about $700 for a tow back to my house...5 hours in a tow truck sucks. I got the car up on the lift the following day and I could see nothing wrong with the driveshaft. There wasn't a mark on it and everything looked fine. With all the grinding noise I expected to see damage. I checked everything, pinion angle, made sure all the bolts were properly torqued and everything was perfect. The car was up on a drive on lift with a separate sliding lift so I could lift the rear and get the wheels turing to see what was going on. I had a friend get in the car and put it in gear and get the wheels spinning and sure enough the grinding and shaking was still there. Even though I couldn't see any damage I think the U-Joint failed. It almost sounds like there is grinding going on inside the driveshaft like something failed inside but I am almost 100% sure it is a problem with the U-Joint. I will be contacting Lethal Performance as I ordered the driveshaft through them. It had less than 3000 miles on it and up until it failed it was smooth as butter and I loved it. I have never launched the car and I do not drag race. It just failed while I was cruising down the Autobahn (freeway). I'll keep you guys posted on what Lethal does about the issue. I hoping they refund my money completely as I am probably going to stick with the stock shaft for a little while longer. It is a lot heavier but it is smooth. I am also worried about warranty if an aftermarket shaft fails. I have the stock driveshaft back in and everything is fine.

Interested in hearing what the issue was. Was it inside the drive shaft like you said? Strange, I thought they were solid.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
that is the first one I have heard of failing. did you measure the distance like they called for after install? I have had mine on the car for about 12000 miles now not a single problem.

Justin said:
that is the first one I have heard of failing. did you measure the distance like they called for after install? I have had mine on the car for about 12000 miles now not a single problem.

+1

And which driveshaft had you istalled, carbon fiber or aluminium?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Aluminum, and yes I measured the distance. Followed the directions to a T...It was perfect for about 3000 miles then all of the sudden it just gave out. Stock driveshaft is back in and smooth with no problems. I have done a few driveshaft installs and never had an issue. I honestly believe the DSS product is a good product but I do live in Germany where there are no speed limits on the freeways so mine sees a lot more high speeds than anyone else. Cruising at 100+ is normal out here. Like I said before also, I don't drag race nor do I ever launch the car from a dead stop. I will be calling Lethal tomorrow as I was out of town and just got back.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
So I contacted Lethal Performance today and I was very polite to the rep on the phone. He basically told me that Lethal had nothing to do with the driveshaft, they just sell it and if I had an issue I need to contact the manufacturer. I have had the driveshaft since the end of April but they offered me no customer support. He didn't even give me a contact number or anything, I got online and got it myself and called DSS. DSS on the other hand was a different experience. Very polite and helpful and I am sending them the driveshaft tomorrow. Am I being unreasonable to feel that the vendor should provide support to a customer when a product they sell had a problem? I am a reasonable guy so please let me know if I'm off on this. I guess I am just looking for some feedback. This failure cost me almost $1000 for the the tow and caused me to miss a weekend at the track...plus it stranded me on a bridge on the German Autobahn which wasn't fun having semi's screaming past you within just a few feet of the car for about an hour waiting on a tow truck. Then a 5 hour tow truck ride to my house because the trucks can only go 80kph by law which is only 50mph...man that wasn't fun especially when the guy doesn't speak any english and his choice of music wasn't the greatest :) It was an adventure to say the least and one I hope to never repeat.

NJ
I would expect any vendor you purchase from to at the least contact the manufacturer and ask for assistance on behalf of the customer. I would probably have asked to speak with "management" at Lethal, and if you already were then that doesn't speak well for them.

Glad your car didn't get wrecked and must be nice to cruise around at autobahn speeds. 8)

I wouldn't say that's unreasonable to think they would at least give you contact info. Doesn't bode well for Lethal. Hopefully everything get's sorted out for you.

Surprising to hear that Lethal offered little help. Disappointing as well.

If you scour the web you'll see mention of a "bad batch" (I cringe every time I see that phrase used) of CV joints that were used recently on a number of DSS shafts. If the U-joint had failed, you'd know it. You could grab the shaft by hand and rotate it each way and probably produce an audible clunk. I suspect in this case it may indeed be the CV joint at the rear...

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I don't know what the industry standard is, but every product I sell (including my own), I WANT the be the first point of contact. I have direct relationships with the manufacturers and know them by name, so I should be the one to initiate the conversation...and I want to know if a product I sell has failed.

When the Whiteline UCA fail appeared to be more than a single fluke incident, I immediately contacted all customers who purchased them from me. Its not my product, I didn't make it or even make much money from it, but its MY responsibility to look out for MY customers. I get so tired of hearing of businesses growing too big to care.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
pufferfish said:
I don't know what the industry standard is, but every product I sell (including my own), I WANT the be the first point of contact. I have direct relationships with the manufacturers and know them by name, so I should be the one to initiate the conversation...and I want to know if a product I sell has failed.

When the Whiteline UCA fail appeared to be more than a single fluke incident, I immediately contacted all customers who purchased them from me. Its not my product, I didn't make it or even make much money from it, but its MY responsibility to look out for MY customers. I get so tired of hearing of businesses growing too big to care.

That's why I prefer to go with the smaller businesses and with the vendors from this forum. Lesson learned for me.

Live and learn man. Id consider myself lucky if I were you since your D/S gave out on the free-way going straight. Can you imagine at the track at high speeds. Could be no different or could be a whole different scenario depending on where it happens. I hope everything gets sorted out ASAP. DSS say anything about covering shipping and such?

Lethal's response was horrid, but all these big companies are hit and miss when it comes to customer service. There is no such thing as "just selling', can you imagine Tire Rack saying that to it's customers...pathetic.

Sarosh

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Yeah, when he told me that I really didn't know what to say because I was so shocked? I will push for a refund on the shipping and also see what they can do to help with the $750 I paid for towing...I know they won't pay for that but maybe a deep discount on something. They should have the driveshaft back by next week so I will keep you guys posted

isrboss

For your application, what makes you want the DSS drive shaft over the OEM? I'm just trying to find out what significant benefit the one piece aftermarket has over the two piece OEM. Plus if one still has a warranty and something was to go wrong with the bell housing to the rear diff. Or if the drive shaft tears up the underside of the chassis from catastrophic failure, won't Ford void coverage due to the DSS drive shaft?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
The DSS shaft is half the weight...I definitely noticed a difference when I installed it. Less flex in the driveline, quicker throttle response and the car actually felt a little bit faster. The one piece was supposed to be stronger and smoother also. The DSS unit was smooth right up to when it failed. I also like the extra driveline noise due to the one piece aluminum...I know, call me crazy. Glad I installed the BMR safety loop with it even though I didn't need it in the end it gives you a little bit of peace of mind.

There is a reason why Ford mated the two-piece boat anchor to the MT82

Not to say that the stocker would have fared any better

2013 GT500 6060 and driveshaft are on my wish list

Or a Magnum XL

Or a ...

Ah, to be rich

TMO Supporting Vendors