The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

DSS v. Dynotech Driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have not used either of these but I can tell you about the driveshaft I have now. It is an "Axle Exchange" shaft purchased through Cooltech. Without looking over records it has been on the Boss for a year or more. It has worked flawlessly on the street and many days on track, no vibration at all. I am planning on a trans swap and looking into getting another 4 inch piece made by them for the T56.

I had a Dynotech on my lowered GT500 with an adjustable UCA and reset the pinion angle and it was fine. I went to a non-adjustable Griggs torque arm and it vibrated the fillings out of your head at about 80 mph. I switched to a 2-piece DSS aluminum/chromoly and it was fine. I am planning on ordering a one-piece aluminum DSS for the Boss in the next couple weeks.

Another GT500 owner I met at the track a couple years ago called me just yesterday with questions on some mods I had done to my GT500 that he was considering. As we were talking the subject of driveshafts came up. He put a Dynotech on his GT500 last year and was getting serious vibrations at 120 mph on the track. He took it off and put the stock driveshaft back on and it went away. He ordered a DSS but hasn't installed it yet.

That's what I know from my own personal experience.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have run Drive Shaft Shop 3.5" 900HP rated aluminum in my car since 2/11 with no issues. My car is lowered 1" and has the the stock UCA and Eibach adjustable LCA with Ford Racing LA brackets. I have had zero issues with this unit, no high speed vibrations or clunking/binding. The DSS unit comes with a CV joint at the pinion flange and can take up small variations in pinion angle due to lowered suspension geometry. I haven't used Dyno Tech's product but looked on their website and it seems they use U-Joints front and rear. If this is the case adjustable upper OR lower control arms can be used to adjust pinion angles to eliminate binding during suspension travel.
Steve

Sesshomurai

steveespo said:
I have run Drive Shafy Shop 3.5" 900HP rated aluminum in my car since 2/11 with no issues. My car is lowered 1" and has the the stock UCA and Eibach adjustable LCA with Ford Racing LA brackets. I have had zero issues with this unit, no high speed vibrations or clunking/binding. The DSS unit comes with a CV joint at the pinion flange and can take up small variations in pinion angle due to lowered suspension geometry. I haven't used Dyno Tech's product but looked on their website and it seems they use U-Joints front and rear. If this is the case adjustable upper OR lower control arms can be used to adjust pinion angles to eliminate binding during suspension travel.
Steve

similar here. eibach adj. LCA. BMR LA brackets. DSS 3.5" 900hp DS. Steeda upper CA/3rd link. Car lowered 1.6"

Running it at VIR tomorrow (if it doesn't frickin snow) for first time. no vibrations from DS on trip down, etc.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I also have the 900hp DSS alum shaft, got it for under $700 delivered from Lethal Performance when they had 10% off sale last Memorial Day. They also ran this sale on Labor Day, but who knows what sales may be offered this year. Very pleased with the fit, finish and overall quality of the DSS shaft. What I found very interesting was that I was getting the commonly reported whine from the 3:73 ring/pinion gears with the stock shaft around 2200 rpm in 6th gear on the highway. After the replacement, the whine was still there at precisely the same speed and gear, but the pitch of the whine was higher. :eek:

IMG_1091.jpg
IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg
IMG_1094.jpg
IMG_1095.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
oh man there are a few threads around here that ended up in argument including nascar quotes and such.

I have a DSS have had it for quite sometime. No problems no complaints. I will leave it at that.

Justin

racered302 said:
It is, and that will never change. So does that mean it could be install while on a lift and I wouldn't need to find a pit?
I installed mine in the driveway. I did have to get the rear up on some ramps after it was installed to take a measurement. that could also be done with a jack and two jack stands.

ace72ace

Mine was installed in a driveway on jack stands with a jack under the diff 'pumpkin'. If you follow the instructions and then measure for fitment after the car is back on the ground you should find that you are within the required spec.

IMG_2226.jpg
IMG_2222.jpg
IMG_2221.jpg
IMG_2209.jpg
IMG_2207.jpg

Justin

racered302 said:
What would I be measuring for, I really have no idea. If the DSS doesn't need angle adjustments then is it clearance?
the distance from the flange to the shaft has to be between xxxx and xxxx (dont remember the distance now) its easy to take the measurement and just to make sure it was installed correctly.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Justin said:
It doesnt if you are at stock ride height.

I run the DSS unit on 1" lowered P springs no adjustment other than LCA brackets in the top hole, ran it with stock LCA and no brackets for 7500 mile. Either way no vibrations or binding at up to 152 mph on track.
Steve

ace72ace

152? Whoa, I'd love to hear what the engine sounds like at that speed. Very nice. :)

So I guess the way to go for me would be the DSS. Nothing special, install it, check you work, road test and hope you don't see blue flashy lights in the mirror. Hope it's that simple. Nothing ever is. :)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
racered302 said:
So I guess the way to go for me would be the DSS. Nothing special, install it, check you work, road test and hope you don't see blue flashy lights in the mirror. Hope it's that simple. Nothing ever is. :)
just be prepared for the possibility of needing adjustable UCA or LCA's...even with the DSS. both have documented cases of vibrations. both have been able to be solved with proper pinion angle adjustments or sometimes just clocking the driveshaft 180 degrees. theres no magic bullet to bolt in a 1-piece driveshaft in place of a 2-piece. there's a reason ford put it in there. think about it. if CV's were vibration slayers, why didn't ford put in a 1-piece just like the DSS? it has to be cheaper than that 2-piece with a carrier bearing. the 2-piece is in there because only a 2-piece can make up for poor factory geometry.

since we are on that, my theory is that moving from a 4link to a 3link got ford better traction, but more drivetrain noise. so, they loosened up the bubber compound in the bushings to make them ultra-compliant and reduce noise. this is why the s197's have issues with using a 1-piece driveshaft. the "loosey goosey" factory 3rd link can't control pinion angle. thats my conspiracy theory anyhow.

again, i am not trying to sell anyone on the Dynotech shaft or steer anyone away from DSS. i just want people to be informed. i would want to know if an item i was buying had even a 1% chance of not working as is.

ace72ace

Be advised there is a sticker on the stock DS that reads 'scrap if dropped' so be careful when uninstalling.

TMO Supporting Vendors