The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

duel injection in 2018 Mustang.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Saw that the 2018 5.0 will have port and direct injection giving 460Hp and a bump in torque..... So I guess this will be the new cheapest engine replacement option in the near future???

Could be.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Cheapest relative to what? If anything, it might push down the value of older crate engines, but it'll be interesting to see if list price on this revision engine is significantly different than what the current rev is.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I can't imagine this being cheap in any way. DI requires a high-pressure fuel pump which are fairly spendy depending on application.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If you look at the Coyote Gen I engine its about $7400 for a long block vs $5850 for a Gen II engine. It seems logical to assume that the production engines would be cheaper then the depleting stock of older model engines. All the extras like fuel pump and ecu etc... might make it more expensive, but its still a interesting option in the future as our cars get older. Still will be much cheaper then a Voodoo or Cobrajet engine... I would guess.....

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Maybe not right away. The increased hardware cost will likely offset the 'savings' from previous development costs. Give it a couple of years when there is a supply from wrecked cars.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I wonder if part of the move to dual mode injection is to help keep the intake valves cleaner?

Cleaner and maybe cooler. I think that's one reason if you mean instead of going to the DI only injector. I wouldn't be surprised if this is an issue for higher mileage engines. I never liked how they sprayed the closed valve in older modular tunes.

The good news for the aftermarket is way more flexibility with tuning options and strategies. It'll be interesting to see what is done on the next GT500 in this regard.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel