The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dumb Jack Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a very nice aluminum racing floor jack that I'm not sure I can use on my Boss. My Porsche has 3 circular reinforced "cups" on each side that work nicely with the floor jack. I can use the center cup and jack up the whole side at once. On the the Boss all I find is pinch welds but no good place to use a floor jack. The jack is too high to reach the frame rails. I wound up borrowing the scissor jack from my WRX to jack up the car. I put the front jack stands under the main frame rails and the rear stands under the axles near the wheels. That worked fine. The manual says to NOT jack up the rear using the diff. Is there a safe/recommended way to use a floor jack? Thanks!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
4pipes said:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=715&viewfile=Jacking%20and%20Lifting.pdf

This. The pinch welds are fine--I use them with my racing jack all the time. Just need to watch the sidepipe exits on the rear. For the front, I also use the points where the front subframe bolts to the floorpan (just inboard of the pinch welds).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
YellowJacketBoss302 said:
I am trying to post a 154 KB jack point jpg and am getting an error message saying the upload folder is full and to contact an administrator. The attachment maximum listed is 10,000 KB.
Help please.
-- Jim

http://imgur.com/

There are no dumb questions, doing things correct is important. As A-GT said the pinch welds are a good lifting spot but I would recommend a pad to put on the jack. The pinch welds as far as I know are a lifting point and should not be used long term, once it is up set the jack stands. That is a little different then what the picture says. If you like to lift from the inner frame just drive up on a few 2x10's and the jack will fit under.

I do not know what could be damaged by lifting from the pumpkin, I use to do it all the time on 8 and 9 inch rears but they recommend not doing it. If anyone knows pass that on.

CIMG1432-1.png

I had to use the same high tech method to get my floor jack under my Boss. :D Harbor Freight makes a low profile jack and if I catch it onsale I'll buy it.

5 DOT 0 said:
I had to use the same high tech method to get my floor jack under my Boss. :D Harbor Freight makes a low profile jack and if I catch it onsale I'll buy it.

I have that one and if I remember correct it did not fit all the way under but the HF light weight aluminum fit under there with the stock tires. In any case I lift at the pinch weld and put the stands under the frame. Lifting at the front pinch weld makes for a fast tire change.

5 DOT 0 said:
Are you using some sort of pad or block on your jack that keeps from flattening the pinch welds? If so do you have a photo or link?

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/anyone-interested-after-market-exhaust-discs-494672/index5/#post6080137

you can see where I put the stands if you blow this up. I am not a master mechanic but I prefer this way better.

CIMG1411.jpg

Thanks for all the great info. I have a couple of nice chunks of oak hardwood I can use to make jack pads for the pinch welds. They'll probably hold up better than pine 2X4s.

I've actually jacked up the whole side of the car lifting it in the middle on the pinch welds. The best solution for the block between the jack and the car is (I am Canadian after all ...) - a hockey puck!

brucegre said:
I've actually jacked up the whole side of the car lifting it in the middle on the pinch welds. The best solution for the block between the jack and the car is (I am Canadian after all ...) - a hockey puck!
That's what I use :D

5 DOT 0 said:
Here is a freebie for all the Boss owners, go to your lowes or depot and pick up a 4x8 sheet of the blue poly foam, cut into 12" widths and different lengths, you are making your own drive on ramps to lift the Boss up! I am using the 2" and 1" thick foam have had my LS on them for a complete week compressed only a 1/2" . About 36.00 for the two inch 4x8. Use sharp box cutter to cut angles.
20 yrs of snap-on tools and two jacks and a low profile and this works great!

Learning a lot from you guys, Use safety stands, also please!

Thanks,
KYBOSSLS

TMO Supporting Vendors