The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dynamatted both doors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I figured that since I upgraded my stereo last year that I would put the finishing touches on it this year. So I decided to Dynomat my doors last night, what a pain in the a**. Maybe I should have said back because I am feeling it this morning. I started with the driver side door, cleaned it off, and place the matting on the inside of the door, no problem. Then I started on the panel side of the door. What I didn't realize is the Styrofoam bump on the door panel where the shaker speaker would normally be mounted sets in side the door about 2", that's a lot of stretching when you don't plan you work correctly. I ended up tearing a hole in the dynamat so I could get the door panel on. I patched the hole so it wouldn't flop around and get stuck to the window. Clearance between the matting and the window is minimal. I was smarter about it on the passenger side, I sawed about 2" of Styrofoam off the door panel bump and also didn't try to lay the cables over the matting so it only took me 3 hrs instead of 6hrs. Trying to find the mounting holes was a challenge after it's covered, I figured the cables would help locate the holes so I didn't worry about it, wrong. I still have my rear quarter panels to do because of my sub woofer, but it's got to be easier then the doors, yeah. If anyone is thinking about doing this get your self a 12pack and some good music because you won't be going anywhere for a while.One thing I will say is that the stereo sounds a lot tighter and defined. The door panels and door aren''t resonating anymore so the harmonics have been minimized.Now I can turn it up a little with out disturbing anyone at the stop light. I don't why that bugs me because I have my side pipe wide open.Maybe the classic rock I listen too shows my age.When it all finish I think I would have added about 20lbs to the weight of the car and reduced the noise by about 2-3db. I know I'm all over the place with this post and I apologize, but my the wife won't stop talking.

A sidenote: To clean up any stray black goop smears or spots, the same on same off method works well. If you use a solvent it's more work.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heh, thanks for the long post, as it convinced me , thoroughly that I don't want to do this. Phew, so much work, and now I have my wife convinced it is too much of a hassle and way too complicated. I just showed her the length of your article, she didn't read it, and said it looked like a big project. Thanks to the long explanation, I can skip this and just wanted to give you my appreciation, ha!!!

CaliMR said:
I know I'm all over the place with this post and I apologize, but my the wife won't stop talking.

At least now you can turn up the radio so you don't hear her ;)
Do our cars have a radio? :eek:

They must have one, otherwise why would he put dynamat?

I pulled 40 lbs of sound deadening junk out of my track car that the previous owner had put in. I weighed it. It filled an entire garbage can. What I didn't get was the 40 lbs of dynamat but he left the stock 20+ year old speakers one of which doesn't work at all.

I did no dynamattt at all but did put jl c5 6x8's in the front doors and boston acoustics in the rear running 25 watt to the rear and 150 to each front let me say damn it sounds incredible with a 10" in the trunk jl ho all ran by a jl 500/5 it is amazing but I usually have my radio turned way down to hear the engine ;D

Is that with the stock hu and an amp or did you change hu? If it is changed, I would like to see the dash replacement you used.

jeepinocala said:
I did no dynamattt at all but did put jl c5 6x8's in the front doors and boston acoustics in the rear running 25 watt to the rear and 150 to each front let me say damn it sounds incredible with a 10" in the trunk jl ho all ran by a jl 500/5 it is amazing but I usually have my radio turned way down to hear the engine ;D

I replaced all of my speakers with the pioneers I think they are TS 6809's, 12" sub, new HU, Metra dash replacement, and a couple of 500 watt amps in the spare tire well. It's my dream car so it should sound good inside and out, and it does. I used dynamat to try and control the acoustics a little bit but it's not worth the effort vs. improvement, I'll still finish up around sub but that's it.

I'll usually drive with my windows down and the stereo turned off, unless I'm on the highway cruising somewhere, that's when I enjoy my tunes the most.

I used the scoche kit for the dash because I really like the touch screen ac/heater control plus I used a clairion nx501 with navagation bluetooth the works I figured I would do it only once. I could not be happier at all. The scoche kit is worth every cent not cheap but well worth it.

jeepinocala said:
I used the scoche kit for the dash because I really like the touch screen ac/heater control plus I used a clairion nx501 with navagation bluetooth the works I figured I would do it only once. I could not be happier at all. The scoche kit is worth every cent not cheap but well worth it.

The only thing out at the time was the Metra, the Scosche was listed as coming soon and I didn't want to wait. The Metra is ok, but not what I had hoped for, it works, but I may have to get Scosche and write the Metra off as a loss. Or sell it. I went with the Jenson dvd/nav radio, the nav sux but the rest of it works well. I just need a new spoiler with the camera in it, then I'm done. Maybe.

Jeep do you have any pics? I doubt I will actually do anything other than speakers but other people probably will.

Also, it isn't clear from their site and seems to conflict with what Metra says, but is there room to put a single din in the top opening or is there no gap behind it? Otherwise what do you put in the top slot?

CaliMR said:
Jeep do you have any pics? I doubt I will actually do anything other than speakers but other people probably will.

Also, it isn't clear from their site and seems to conflict with what Metra says, but is there room to put a single din in the top opening or is there no gap behind it? Otherwise what do you put in the top slot?
For the schoche kit the very top spot is for the factory screen still uses it for temp I am not sure if it uses it for anything else I have not tried it. As for the radio both kits come able to have a single or double din radio. I will try and post pics in a day or so pretty busy at work. This kit does add to the Boss it looks real nice. Plus it is nice having every feature in the car sat,nav,backup cam, bluetooth, ipod hookups, not to mention the ability to watch dvd's but I dont know why Ill never use that one. to be honest I only did this because of needing to use my phone while driving so I figured just do it all and dont look back not cheap but done over time I bought most of my stuff on ebay new from trusted sellers with no worries over 6 months I guess around 2500 ish out of all the radio's I looked at out there I went with the clairion nx501 it seems great and the nav works real good.

TMO Supporting Vendors