The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

dyno ecu tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfo
Can anyone recommend South los angeles or north orange county california 2015+ engine tuners? I'm looking for shop who knows race applications can tune stock ECU to race class engine restrictor plates and delete some functions like downstream 02 sensors and top speed limiter. This is not for streetcar.

thanks!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Am a long way away from California, but Shaun at AED would be my go too tuner from any part of the globe.

Absolutely love my race tune. TC is disabled 100% etc.

Last edited:
TX
Am a long way away from California, but Shaun at AED would be my go too tuner from any part of the globe.

Absolutely love my race tune. TC is disabled 100% etc.

TC disabled 100%? Please tell me more

Edit: I also used Shaun's services and he is a master. Highly recommend

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes! Had that frustrating problem of the TC coming on.by itself at the track. The car would think that a slide was the end of its existence and it would turn TC back on and ruin the lap.

Shaun has a race tune that turns it 100% off. Highly recomended. But it stays off..... so be careful in the rain......:(

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

sfo
Thanks guys.

What do racers need to turn off?

Traction control?
Advanced track control?
Speed limiter 155mph?
Downstream 02 sensors?
Thermostat controls??
Fans threshold?
TPMS? Can this make you go to limp?
What else causes limp mode?
Any electronic steering column lock?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Traction control? Yes
Advanced track control? Yes
Speed limiter 155mph? Yes
Downstream 02 sensors? Yes
Thermostat controls?? Not sure
Fans threshold? Not sure
TPMS? Can this make you go to limp? Excuse me!!! Not that old
What else causes limp mode? Politics, cold water. etc
Any electronic steering column lock? Not sure.

To be honest stopped using tpms sensors ages ago... they are always getting killed by the numerous tire changes. (with swapping sides as well etc)

Can anyone recommend South los angeles or north orange county california 2015+ engine tuners? I'm looking for shop who knows race applications can tune stock ECU to race class engine restrictor plates and delete some functions like downstream 02 sensors and top speed limiter. This is not for streetcar.

thanks!

Make sure you tuner knows your intended use and RPM ranges, there is much that can be done in the tune to help keep the motor alive. For our use as a track car squeezing every last HP out of the tune is not always the best idea for durability and heat management. Unless you are planning on doing endurance racing fuel should be setup fatter than most street tuners would normally do on a NA engine. It is better to run more fuel and more timing. Retarding the timing and leaning the car out leads to excessive heat build up in the heads and exhaust. If you can give up a few ponies and a little fuel economy the engine will run cooler and stay together longer.

Fuel type matters, tune for the worst fuel unless you are willing to have several tunes ready to load into the car. These car are very good at self tuning for octane as long as all the sensors are working correctly. Some tuners are lazy and will disable knock control or change the knock strategy to allow the engine to make a few more horsepower but with a lot more risk of detonation. The OEM tune is very aggressive with knock management and temp management, keep the CHT cool and IAT cool and the ECU will roll in a lot of timing if allowed to.

Restrictor plate tuning is going to be the hardest as it may have an effect on the intake and exhaust cam placement to make back some of your losses. It may take a very good tuner who is willing to put in the time to run through the cam placement options and work out peak power for each restrictor.

Finding a shop that understands the goal is much of the battle. Let us know how it works out.

Dave

TMO Supporting Vendors