The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dyno Pull Video-RED BEAST!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
One on the guys took video of my boss on the Dyno the other day. Can't figure out how to get a good picture of the actual result sheet but she shocked the h*ll out of me with her pulls. I was hoping for 380 or 390 WHP (15 % or less drive train loss) but this was way beyond my expectations.

Ford rates this car at 444 HP and 380 Torque. The Red Beast pulled 406.8 WHP @ 6396 RPM and 383.6 WTQ @ 4602 RPM :eek:. She is bone stock & this pull was with Track Key. While Ford claims no performance enhancement with the track key, the car pulled about 10 HP & 10 ft. lbs. more than the first run with the silver key. All the gain occurred above 4500 RPM. Go Figure!!!!

407 represents about 91.6% of factory rating so the motor could be pulling about 470 or more at the crank. NOT TOO SHABBY FOR AMERICAN MUSCLE THAT'S BONE STOCK. Plus, this puppy can turn & stop!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDYBUoGZ1sg

Enjoy!

That's impressive.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDYBUoGZ1sg[/youtube]

Boomerstoys said:
One on the guys took video of my boss on the Dyno the other day. Can't figure out how to get a good picture of the actual result sheet but she shocked the h*ll out of me with her pulls. I was hoping for 380 or 390 WHP (15 % or less drive train loss) but this was way beyond my expectations.

Ford rates this car at 444 HP and 380 Torque. The Red Beast pulled 406.8 WHP @ 6396 RPM and 383.6 WTQ @ 4602 RPM :eek:. She is bone stock & this pull was with Track Key. While Ford claims no performance enhancement with the track key, the car pulled about 10 HP & 10 ft. lbs. more than the first run with the silver key. All the gain occurred above 4500 RPM. Go Figure!!!!

407 represents about 91.6% of factory rating so the motor could be pulling about 470 or more at the crank. NOT TOO SHABBY FOR AMERICAN MUSCLE THAT'S BONE STOCK. Plus, this puppy can turn & stop!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDYBUoGZ1sg

Enjoy!
Is this on a Dynojet? Is it STD corrected or SAE corrected? Your #s are consistent with mine STD corrected. SAE corrected I'm 397 rwhp and 356 rwtq.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Yes, not all dyno's are created equal ;D Also, consecutive pulls can show higher numbers. I had my Boss on a Mustang Dyno (know to be 'stingy' with it's readings) and there was a 15 HP (give or take) difference between my 1'st dyno run and my 3'rd, all done back-to-back.

In any event, your WHP is about 400 like the rest of us, give or take a pony or two. My guess is these engines when stock really put out about 460 to 465 at the crank.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
Is this on a Dynojet? Is it STD corrected or SAE corrected? Your #s are consistent with mine STD corrected. SAE corrected I'm 397 rwhp and 356 rwtq.

The dyno was a Mustang Dynamometer with PowerDyne control & data acquisition according to the sheet he gave me. Had previous dyno runs with other cars on Mustang, Dyno Jet and Dyno Pack (hub dyno) they had SAE corrections. This one shows WCF correction. With WCF it pulled 403.1 WHP and 379.7 WTQ. Not sure what this stands for-------Weather Correction Factor?

Run took place at 1:02.52 PM and temp. was about 70*. Only had 2 pulls, first one with the silver key and the second with the Red Key. He only gave me a summary report for the red key but gave me a graph showing both runs. Never used this shop before, the owner, Hunter, is a friend of one of the track rats I run with.

Agree, dyno's all vary, and much depends on the weather. The one thing I thought was strange is they didn't connect a sniffer for air/fuel ratio. Every other car I've dyno'd had this struck in the tail pipe. Don't think it changes the number and maybe since I wasn't tuning the car he didn't bother to connect it.

Still very impressed with the numbers and glad to hear that other cars are pulling the same.

Cheers!

I was just at Anderson Ford Motorsport in Clinton, IL (where I bought my Boss) getting a replacement wheel (long story...don't trust Sears with your wheels); they told me they had just had a 2012 Laguna Seca on their dyno that reported being 7HP down with the Track key over they silver key. They said it was leaned out for most of the RPM range, showing lower torque pretty much across the range than the silver key. This seems to be in contrast to what you are saying here, but maybe we have some Boss engines not running up to snuff?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Boss #2452 said:
I was just at Anderson Ford Motorsport in Clinton, IL (where I bought my Boss) getting a replacement wheel (long story...don't trust Sears with your wheels); they told me they had just had a 2012 Laguna Seca on their dyno that reported being 7HP down with the Track key over they silver key. They said it was leaned out for most of the RPM range, showing lower torque pretty much across the range than the silver key. This seems to be in contrast to what you are saying here, but maybe we have some Boss engines not running up to snuff?

The whole concept of these engines running too lean I believe is at least a bit overstated. Obviously Ford will not tune their engines to run rich with all of the EPA regs as well as the need to try to get a minimum MPG out of the engine. That said, with the warranty of the car (including TK installation), running the engine 'too lean' would end up costing Ford a ton of money in engine replacements as well as give the Boss a bad name - both something I highly doubt they wish to do. Ford knows exactly what A/F ratio is acceptable given the internals of this engine.

The TK tune is not designed to lower power or torque nor raise it, and many guys who have had back to back dyno sessions only may have complaints that the TK pulls did not produce more HP (which it was not designed to do). Some forum members, if I remember correctly, have seen broader hp/torque curves albeit with the same or very similar peak values.

I think everyone should keep in mind that Dyno's in general (Dynajet, Mustang, whatever) are tools of approximation. They vary greatly from one brand to another, one physical instance of each other, and even between consecutive pulls on the same Dyno. Changes in air temp, pressure and humidity influence the readings. Small variations between pulls on the same or different machines mean very little. My experience on a Mustang Dyno showed a 15 HP difference (higher) between my first and third pill. The guys doing the pulls said that he believed there was at least another 5 RWHP to be shown if we did another pull.

If anyone is seeing a consistently lower and significant HP/Torque difference between the silver and red keys on the same dyno, same day, same atmospheric conditions, across maybe 6 pulls in total where you are alternating between silver and red on each pull, and you are 100% sure you have some decent fuel in the tank (I'd suggest 93 octane if you can get it) - then I'd speak with Ford. There could be a problem. And may not totally be related to TK.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel