The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dyno

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
boss2511 said:
He doesnt want to run headers.....that is where the power is coming from. Stock manifolds removing the cats...with what I presume to be a off road h-pipe say it is a full 3" mid pipe than maybe its worth 10rwhp in itself. if just removing them and puting the 2.75" back in its place it isnt worth much.
I'm sure you know this but our cars don't have exhaust manifolds they have shorty tube headers, the same ones on the 5.0's, 302S and 302R.
yes I know. They actually have tri-y mid length headers. That's besides the point. I would love to see proof of 20rwhp gain for an h-pipe alone. All test that I have seen they are getting and 38-40 with long tube headers and mid pipe with cats and about 5-7 more removing the cats.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
So thay are stating the following with only their X-Pipe or does this imply a non-stock axle-back muffler (i.e. Corsa ?)

"peak gain of 19 RWHP and 18 ft-lb of torque"

If true that is huge for a $500 bolt-on investment....

Justin

PeteInCT said:
So thay are stating the following with only their X-Pipe or does this imply a non-stock axle-back muffler (i.e. Corsa ?)

"peak gain of 19 RWHP and 18 ft-lb of torque"

If true that is huge for a $500 bolt-on investment....
They get you with that one word "peak" I would like to see a before dyno test and after dyno test same day same car same or close to same air and coolant temps. cause you can really front load a test by testing the car heat soaked in say 5th gear. then test that car again with new part nice and cool in 4th. I have seen alot of these test on the new cars are in 4th which isnt 1:1 5th is 1:1 so this will elevate the numbers as well.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I am going to try cat deletes next year, they are $120 from BBK for the cat-delete pipes. Then figure another $100 for O2 Sims with mini-cat material to trick the rear O2 sensors on the factory tunes.

ArizonaGT said:
I am going to try cat deletes next year, they are $120 from BBK for the cat-delete pipes. Then figure another $100 for O2 Sims with mini-cat material to trick the rear O2 sensors on the factory tunes.

can you send me a link to these o2 sims?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
adam81 said:
ArizonaGT said:

can you send me a link to these o2 sims?

Essentially they are just spacers to take the O2 sensor directly out of the (now much hotter) exhaust flow. There are ones called "mini cats" that have the same type of cat metals as a filter prior to the O2 sensor, which could work well.

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/?gcl...FWV75QodumH8uQ

http://boost-controller.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=22

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I would be highly suspect of these, has anyone ever used them and seen them actually trick the PCM ?

ArizonaGT said:
Essentially they are just spacers to take the O2 sensor directly out of the (now much hotter) exhaust flow. There are ones called "mini cats" that have the same type of cat metals as a filter prior to the O2 sensor, which could work well.

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/?gcl...FWV75QodumH8uQ

http://boost-controller.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=22

Thanks. I have known about the normal spark plug anti-foulers but never heard of ones with the cat like material in them. The anti-foulers are the same without anything in them and you ca get them at your autoparts store for like $5

PeteInCT said:
I would be highly suspect of these, has anyone ever used them and seen them actually trick the PCM ?

Yes they work. And they work well.... At least the normal anti foulers do, this is the first time I head of them with cat like material in them.... I am surprised you never heard of them coming from the Audi world. These are used a ton on the old 2.7TT V6 when people install catless downpipes.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I still had the cats on my TTS and most of the guys that I drive with either have Porsche's or 'Vettes ;-) The only product I've seen similar to this (not the same) are the extenders that keep the cats farther away from the pipes so they sample less exhaust. Purpose was to allow the CO2 sensor to 'see' enough exhaust but not so much that it screwed up the ECU program on high tuned turbo cars (such as my TTS). I tried this on my TTS as well as on my son's 1.8T Jetta - it did not work on either car. The only solution was to have a tune that pretty much ignored the output of the CO2 sensors... Again, this was on cars with cats.

A couple washers to space it outward from the pipe will fix the CEL with the cats out on some cars. Takes a little playing around to get the right depth, it was 2 of the thick spacers for my gen Evo iirc as an example.

PeteInCT said:
I still had the cats on my TTS and most of the guys that I drive with either have Porsche's or 'Vettes ;-) The only product I've seen similar to this (not the same) are the extenders that keep the cats farther away from the pipes so they sample less exhaust. Purpose was to allow the CO2 sensor to 'see' enough exhaust but not so much that it screwed up the ECU program on high tuned turbo cars (such as my TTS). I tried this on my TTS as well as on my son's 1.8T Jetta - it did not work on either car. The only solution was to have a tune that pretty much ignored the output of the CO2 sensors... Again, this was on cars with cats.

O2 sims are hit and miss. Didn't work on my 03 C5 TT Vette with the cat delete. Only way that I was able not to throw a CEL was to write to the PCM so it didn't see the cats with HP tuners. Very simple if you can write code to create a new BIN file. Catback system will net you 3-5 SAE RWHP. The catback best gain is the weight savings. Headers and a tune will net you 20 SAE RWHP, that's it. Jury is still out on the CAI on a Boss. Gains were minimal on the 03 C5TT ZO6 and 09 C6 ZO6 with just a CAI.

Sorry to say that my HP Tuners, EFI Live or MOTEC doesn't offer any software for tunning of which I have all. I'm still looking into software as I don't like canned tuned or the pre-loaded hand tuners.

I'll be adding a CAI, 90 MM TB, LT headers, Borla cat back and an onboard data logger so I can tune myself. I'll do a base run on our dynojet 248 and then tune on the street under real load and then back on the dyno.

Being a former GM guy I plan on doing my homework before buying any software.

I won't use Kooks as we've had great results with American Racing Headers.

When it's done I'll post all the dyno charts along with some of the data logs to share with all of you.

Just wanted to add that in all my FI cars I was running a 3 Bar MAP sensor, not a MAF being they couldn't keep up. I'm going to have to play with the MAF on the ford as I don't see MAPS avail for NA fords.

Justin

I would go with SCT software.

If you go with the kooks line you can retain the side exhaust
http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_KO_System.shtml

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel