The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dynoed My Boss Yesterday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, was bored yesterday and went out in the Boss just to ride around a little and do some errands. Stopped at Pro-Dyno to say hello to Dan and the next thing I knew, he was throwing the car up on the dyno. He's a great guy!!

No track key...stock with 569 miles on it. 404 rwhp and 360 rwtq. Dan said he could get me 450 at the rear wheels but I'm going to leave it stock for now. Very respectable numbers for a NA engine. He also said I'd pick up a few more hp when they car gets a few more miles on it. I'm happy!

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
At ~15% drivetrain loss that figures to be ~465hp. Nice!! Is your Boss Race Red? I heard they put the fastest motors in the red ones at the factory... :p

Yeah, It's Race Red. :) Dan said it was the strongest stock Boss that wasn't a LS. he said the LS Bosses had a different tune in them and that's why they put out about 10 more hp.

Cannot post graph here as I do not see an attachment option. You can see the chart here:

http://www.modularboss.com/forums/showthread.php?92-Dynoed-the-Boss-Yesterday&p=272#post272

Keavdog said:
Nice! Thanks for posting. Can you post up the dyno sheet? I'd like to see the curves
here's my dyno sheet last week. http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/jdasch1/media/dynosheetbeforemodificatons2013_zpsec62bc7f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

If you cannot see it in the www.ModularBoss.com forums, you can see it on the facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4362451099652&set=o.379548788743088&type=1&theater

Is your Boss stock to put down 418 rwhp? I've only seen LSs make that kind of power.

I have never heard nor proved the LS has a different "tune” than the regular Boss. If so why wouldn't someone have figured that tune out, and since its a factory tune, copy it. Just sayin. The Dyno thing is sooooo inconsistent and condition based. It's almost impossible to duplicate everything to determine if a particular car so doing what art what point. Engine dynos are really the only way, that's why every single race team uses them versus chassis dynos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

With that said, I realize we all can't remove our engines to have them dyno'd. So chassis dynos are the only thing we have. I just got frustrated with the whole LS makes more power thing. If so, lets get that tune, cuz apparently ford made it.

Tflong24 said:
With that said, I realize we all can't remove our engines to have them dyno'd. So chassis dynos are the only thing we have. I just got frustrated with the whole LS makes more power thing. If so, lets get that tune, cuz apparently ford made it.

They're all the same engines, come off the same assembly line. jd has a 302S so his has a different tune to take advantage of no emissions with a slightly higher rev limiter. Going past 8,000 he may also have an aftermarket tune installed.

NFSBOSS said:
They're all the same engines, come off the same assembly line. jd has a 302S so his has a different tune to take advantage of no emissions with a slightly higher rev limiter. Going past 8,000 he may also have an aftermarket tune installed.

Yes, 302s, I would understand more power stock, but we can't have these rumors, assumptions etc that the LS has a totally different tune.

jdasch1 said:
here's my dyno sheet last week. http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/jdasch1/media/dynosheetbeforemodificatons2013_zpsec62bc7f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
\\\

obviously not stock tune since your pulling what appears to 8k plus.
what i find interesting is your 418 rwhp occured at a mear 6250?
who tuned that car?

steve

I'm repeating to you what my dyno guy said and he has absolutely no reason to lie since he has dynoed both LS and standard Bosses. It might be highly coincidental but when we went to VIR and dynoed some Bosses there, the standard Boss was in the low 390s while the totally stock LS was at 416 rwhp. I have to believe Dan when he said some of the parameters were different in the LS tune. Now, my numbers may be high but he did say that from the factory, my car was running a little lean, that means if the factory would have given it just a little more fuel, I might could have had another 5 or 6 hp at the rear wheels. I did notice the hp leveled off at 6500 rpms all the way to 7500, I'm not really happy with that. Should have gotten a few more in that power range.

gremlinsteve said:
\\\

obviously not stock tune since your pulling what appears to 8k plus.
what i find interesting is your 418 rwhp occured at a mear 6250?
who tuned that car?

steve
No special tune. All stock 302S racecar. Bought brand new. Factory tune. 100 octane Sunoco. Ran all season, practice, qualifying, 24 plus sprint races plus an 8hr enduro race. Car was dynoed at start of season at 416RWHP and its the same at the seasons end. Now the modifications begin. I will post results when I get them.

RedRacer said:
I'm repeating to you what my dyno guy said and he has absolutely no reason to lie since he has dynoed both LS and standard Bosses. It might be highly coincidental but when we went to VIR and dynoed some Bosses there, the standard Boss was in the low 390s while the totally stock LS was at 416 rwhp. I have to believe Dan when he said some of the parameters were different in the LS tune. Now, my numbers may be high but he did say that from the factory, my car was running a little lean, that means if the factory would have given it just a little more fuel, I might could have had another 5 or 6 hp at the rear wheels. I did notice the hp leveled off at 6500 rpms all the way to 7500, I'm not really happy with that. Should have gotten a few more in that power range.
There are no differences between the LS and Boss engines. None.

jdasch1 said:
No special tune. All stock 302S racecar. Bought brand new. Factory tune. 100 octane Sunoco. Ran all season, practice, qualifying, 24 plus sprint races plus an 8hr enduro race. Car was dynoed at start of season at 416RWHP and its the same at the seasons end. Now the modifications begin. I will post results when I get them.
Yours pulls over 8,000 RPM's with the stock tune?

TMO Supporting Vendors