The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

E 85 without a tune?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was talking to a tuner this weekend at a Thanksgiving get together. He has not tuned a Boss but said any 2013 car should be able to run on E 85 because of some government mandate. I'm not planning to fill up with E 85 but wondered if anyone knows if this true. If it is true, would there be a benefit?

Sesshomurai

He's probably right that a car "can" run on E85, but (at least) for the boss, it (I believe) will require a tune. As a high performance vehicle,
the boss' ECM will need (or should need) to understand the fuel type/burn rate/etc. to know what to expect from the sensors and avoid CELs.
But I'm not the expert. I think Justin, on here, has done the E85 tune and can provide good advice about it.

The car will need a retune
Stlich on vas is 14.7 on e85 its alot lower
So ur af wluld be needing to be in the high ten to lower 11
Area and timing bumped up also

Josh frlm aed is the one to zsk about it

These ARE NOT Flex Fuel cars. You will cause more damage then good. You will already need to upgrade your injector to run E85 (47s work fine)

*also recommend a e85 tester as well because many cars have been grenadine their motors because of the winter blends and the fact not many stations can keep the correct ethanol rating. During winter months, lots of stations swap to E70

Although all 2008+ Fords are designed to run Ethanol blended fuels, the Mustangs do not have the Flex Fuel logic activated and therefore can not properly compensate for high Ethanol content like E85.

Most likely if you fill up with E85 the car will drive home, possibly throw a lean code, but otherwise run. The next morning however, you will likely get a no-start condition as Ethanol requires a LOT more fuel than gasoline to fire a cold engine.

I change over 100 fuel related tables/functions/Scalars in my Coyote/Roadrunner E85 calibration to compensate for the different properties of Alcohol based fuel.

Shaun@AED said:
Although all 2008+ Fords are designed to run Ethanol blended fuels, the Mustangs do not have the Flex Fuel logic activated and therefore can not properly compensate for high Ethanol content like E85.

Most likely if you fill up with E85 the car will drive home, possibly throw a lean code, but otherwise run. The next morning however, you will likely get a no-start condition as Ethanol requires a LOT more fuel than gasoline to fire a cold engine.

I change over 100 fuel related tables/functions/Scalars in my Coyote/Roadrunner E85 calibration to compensate for the different properties of Alcohol based fuel.

In normally aspirated motor, is an E85 tune worth effort?

seca954 said:
Shaun@AED said:

In normally aspirated motor, is an E85 tune worth effort?

10-12HP gains
95 octane + the cooling effect of alcohol
Engine will run 15-20 degrees cooler
Huge safety margine against detonation
Fuel economy will suffer

Those that have gone with an E85 tune I've only heard good things aside from the poor fuel economy.

Your stock pump is fine. We found out swapping to a 47lb Injector works great. We usually see around 440ish rwhp with E85 swap. (also a intake and x pipe swap)

We have a local 2012 BOSS who runs this every day and brings it to the track religiously without any issues.

Sesshomurai

STEVE@BBR said:
Your stock pump is fine. We found out swapping to a 47lb Injector works great. We usually see around 440ish rwhp with E85 swap. (also a intake and x pipe swap)

We have a local 2012 BOSS who runs this every day and brings it to the track religiously without any issues.

And E85 runs well on a supercharged roadrunner/coyote?

darreng505 said:
STEVE@BBR said:

And E85 runs well on a supercharged roadrunner/coyote?

Oh yes.
50-60HP gains over pump gas.

TMO Supporting Vendors