The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

e brake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I haven't had any problems with my e brake so far. Has this e-brake design been in effect since the new mustang configuration of 2005? If so, any problems should have hit the fan way before now? ???or is this just a BOSS issue?

I talked to my mechanic at the Ford Dealership about this, (He only works on Mustangs/Shelbys/BOSS). There are currently no TSB's stating any issues. Have you tracked the car, or been doing any "Drifting" using the e-brake? (Obviously I have to ask, since there are some out there that do some of this)...

Have you ever used the ebrake in a driving (moving) situation before this incident?

I am sure your local dealer and mechanics will ask similar questions, and just for reference for everyone here was simply asking.

I personally haven't heard of any ebrake problems in mustangs hardly ever as long as it wasn't abused...

I did have my ebrake on my 2006 V6 "Pop", but it was apparent the moment i pulled up on it, there was a loud POP sound like a .22 being shot. (This was at a dead stop while parking the car). Then the ebrake level had no "resistance on it at all.

The Cable actually Snapped in 2 pieces. $125 for the full Ebrake handle/Cable and $125 labor later its working fine again with no issues.

I hope you get your car fixed and get the ebrake issue resolved...

rpm3dinc said:
I talked to my mechanic at the Ford Dealership about this, (He only works on Mustangs/Shelbys/BOSS). There are currently no TSB's stating any issues. Have you tracked the car, or been doing any "Drifting" using the e-brake? (Obviously I have to ask, since there are some out there that do some of this)...

Have you ever used the ebrake in a driving (moving) situation before this incident?

I am sure your local dealer and mechanics will ask similar questions, and just for reference for everyone here was simply asking.

I personally haven't heard of any ebrake problems in mustangs hardly ever as long as it wasn't abused...

I did have my ebrake on my 2006 V6 "Pop", but it was apparent the moment i pulled up on it, there was a loud POP sound like a .22 being shot. (This was at a dead stop while parking the car). Then the ebrake level had no "resistance on it at all.

The Cable actually Snapped in 2 pieces. $125 for the full Ebrake handle/Cable and $125 labor later its working fine again with no issues.

I hope you get your car fixed and get the ebrake issue resolved...

I'm 60 years old and iv taken the car to the drag strip once and occasionally do some hard pulls. But other than that its babied

302BOB said:
I haven't had any problems with my e brake so far. Has this e-brake design been in effect since the new mustang configuration of 2005? If so, any problems should have hit the fan way before now? ???or is this just a BOSS issue?

I doubt these e-brakes are any different than any other model of the same year.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
I do and have always used my hand brake to slow down when certain colored vehicles are coming up from behind. I have never had a problem with any of my vehicles in this regard except, as I mentioned, the 1995 GT which had a problem with the hand brake mechanism itself. Ford replaced the hand brake mechanism under the console and I have never had a problem since.

If the handle was all the way down after it happened, I would suggest that there is a similar problem in your Boss where there is a failure of the ratchet mechanism. I have not looked carefully at this part of the Boss yet but I would assume that this is a one off failure since they have been making the S197 vehicles since 2005 and I have not heard about this being an issue. I will be checking mine carefully now since I park it on a hill in my driveway. I ALWAYS leave it in gear though ever since some girl totally creamed the right side of my 240Z 3 weeks after I had it painted and ruined a very expensive paint job that took me MONTHS to prep and re-assemble back in 1986. She didn't put her car in gear and forgot to set the parking brake. It rolled down a hill in a parking lot and BAM!!!! I am very careful about that these days.

The 1970 Boss has a reverse lockout mechanism so you physically can't remove the key without the car being in reverse. Of course, this means nothing when the car is running and warming up.

John

I have looked all over the web to see if anybody else has had this problem and basically no one has.. I'm afraid if I go to ford about this matter they will basically call me and idiot and didn't engage it properly. Iv been driving a manual car for 40 years and have been doing the same thing since day one with not one problem like this. Really grinds my gears it had to happen to this car.

i think you should still take it to the dealership. Even if they dont do anything, it will be documented that youve been there for the ebrake issue in case it ever happens again, which i hope it never does.

i would ask them to check the teeth on the ebrake handle. Maybe pulling the handle back too much put enough of a force on the teeth to chip or break a few. Could be less of a hassle if the dealership is taking care of your repairs.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel