The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

e brake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I backed my 2012 boss out of my shed an set the brake and let it warm up. I closed the big door and walk around to lock the small door and heard a pop. I ran around the shop only to see my boss back into a tree. rr was smashed. what a bummer.the brake came undone. is anyone had this problem.

cable.jpg

No, but I noticed that my brake cable covers were fraying from where they pass through the LCAs. The cables were just replaced under warranty.

Everyone might go make a quick safety inspection. It just takes a second. Be afrayed. ;)

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
My 1995 GT had a problem with the e-brake lever that was eventually recalled. It used to let go when you pulled up on it and you'd have to release it and then try again. The recall was done back in 1996 and it has been solid ever since. This is a definite trip to the dealer. THere might be a basic problem with the handle mechanism.

John

onebad58 said:
I backed my 2012 boss out of my shed an set the brake and let it warm up. I closed the big door and walk around to lock the small door and heard a pop. I ran around the shop only to see my boss back into a tree. rr was smashed. what a bummer.the brake came undone. is anyone had this problem.

I do this all the time to pull out of my garage and always feel weird about it. Wow I better be careful now, gonna throw it up on the lift and take a look this weekend. Where did the cable snap?

I noticed mine was fraying also, but only the fabric so far. I do have to find some way to keep the LCA from continuing through to the cable. I would caution anyone against assuming getting the cables replaced will fix the problem. It will just fail later on when you are out of warranty since it is a VERY poor design flaw. What they need to do is add a sheath that is worth a damn, like Teflon tubing. That fabric is crap. The cable should not even pass through there, IMO. I might try to get mine replaced under warranty and see if they will not pass it through but under instead so I can make up a freely sliding bracket of some sort. I am sure I can do a WAAAAY better job than this summer intern level kludge.

Yep, i noticed my covers fraying when I did my rear brakes. Not gonna even bother with getting them replaced. Just going to figure out a better solution on my own.

The routing is IMO, unacceptable. Who thought it was a good idea to let the parking brake cable rub on a sharp steel part?

The cable didn't snap... the lever ( witch was fully engaged) fell flat and the car rolled into my tree. The car is in the body shop now, but once it finished I'm having ford look at everything. I want an explanation as to why this happened.

Yeah, terrible design. In my usual fashion, I will simply use this as incentive to accelerate the purchase of aftermarket LCAs and then route/secure the cables in a manner that makes sense.

"I HAVE to buy these trick adjustable, heim-jointed LCAs honey, it's a SAFETY issue!" ;)

Jimmy Pribble said:
Yeah, terrible design. In my usual fashion, I will simply use this as incentive to accelerate the purchase of aftermarket LCAs and then route/secure the cables in a manner that makes sense.

"I HAVE to buy these trick adjustable, heim-jointed LCAs honey, it's a SAFETY issue!" ;)

I like the way you think, lol.

This exact thing almost happened to me good thing I noticed it befire it hit! But my brake was engaged so from then on I always leave it in gear just in case.

There was a good reason why Saab's have to be put in R before releasing the key...

You have a standard shift, so don't be afraid to use it!

Otherwise, find level ground

op mentioned he was warming up the car, so he couldn't leave it in gear.

this is kind of scary because i've done this a couple of times... trusting the ebrake while warming up the car, and our driveway has a small incline.

how extensive is the damage? anything noticeable?

3700 dollars worth of damage. Need new bumper, tail light and passenger side quarter panel need extensive repair.

Definitely get Ford to check out the brake. If they find something wrong your insurance can go after them, I would think. In any case Ford should be bending over backwards to make you happy, even if it is just to keep you quiet.

Some clarification would be good for the rest of us:
1. So the lever itself was still up where you left it? If so, did the brake seem to hold right after the incident?
2. How many clicks do you usually pull the handle for?
3. How steep was the incline?

I am wondering if there is a problem with the brake lever lock. It's probably made out of plastic like everything else...

I had pulled the lever all the way up. The lever after the incident was fully dropped. The hill is a little steep, about 20 degrees of

That is kinda good news, since there is no way they can argue you could have gotten out of the car quick enough without the e-brake engaged. Unless you are a stuntman. I would definitely take pictures and talk to your insurance and Ford.

Jimmy Pribble said:

Funny, that's how I justified my LTs and mid-pipe. "I need to go faster or I'll get run over by those GT3s babe!"

onebad58 said:
I had pulled the lever all the way up. The lever after the incident was fully dropped. The hill is a little steep, about 20 degrees of
Wow that's crazy. You'd think they'd almost have to find something broken in there when they pull it apart for it to be able do that.

TMO Supporting Vendors