The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

E85 Tunes have been ordered. Anyone else running E85?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have been reading up on the E85 swap on these cars and figured that I am going to give the switch a try. Ordered the tunes from AED. The swap requires switching to 47 LB/HR injectors.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-ev6-47-injectors.html
and a E85 tune.

I got the new injectors in yesterday and loaded the 47 LB/HR pump gas race tune. I have to data log for Shaun then send him the logs and he will send me the Tunes I need. I wont be stuck running E85 I will be given tunes to run pump gas and E85 so I wont be stranded.

Anyone else running E85?

zzyzx

Steve
So, you're not changing anything else... like the fuel lines?

Interested to see how this plays out. Are you going to do a dyno at some point to quantify things?

Justin

The fuel rails are huge so they are good. the lines are very big. I looked into it and the fuel system on the bosses and GT's are overkill for size of lines and rails. the fuel pump has enough on tap for the demand as well.

Every thread I have read else where the people that do it wont go back to 93 if they dont have to. Car runs smoother, cooler, cleaner and makes 3-4% more power over stock NA (equals out to about 10-12 across the board).

Changing out the injectors took an hour. they sure have them buried under lots of stuff compared to the 3V set up. The fuel line to the rail is really easy to unhook though. As are the clips to the injectors much easier to get on and off then the 3V clips.

I am nervous and excited at the same time about doing the swap. if all goes well no more black soot in the tail pipes :)

HackBoss302 said:
I'm not running E85, but I'm very interested is hearing your thoughts after change.

+1
I'm in AZ with 91 Octane, I plan to add a tune down the road and based on the price of injectors, an E85 mod might be in order.

Justin

the injectors are so much cheaper these days then say 7 years ago when I paid 500 bucks for 42 lb injectors now you can get 160 lb ones for that price lol.

He might have meant not changing the lines as in are the lines and seals they use on this car designed to handle E85? I have never seen it personally, but there is talk of E85 rotting seals and killing pumps, etc. Going to E85 in the import scene usually also required a pump, since the Mustang tank is a bit iffy to begin with (saddle bleh) maybe it would be good to add a scavenger in the other bag. Probably not necessary on the street, but running E85 it is worse than regular gas going lean from pump issues.

Justin

E10 is everywhere and E15 is coming down the pipe line. Car makers have known this for years and years and cars since the late 90's have been built to handle the ethanol. There are guys that have been running it for years in the terminators with no problems at all with factory lines and seals. Only older cars will have to have things swapped out. Our fuel lines are stainless as are the fuel rails and all rubber parts are equipped to handle ethanol because they have to e10 is the norm 100% gas is hard to come by in most states. A few 2011 GT guys have been running it since the tunes came out with no issues.

The big thing is in the winter they go to E70 and the car will run a little richer with the e85 tune in it. and cold weather starting is sometimes harder and if its really cold and you DD the car just go back to running 93 and swap tunes.

I agree with CaliMR. The big 3 have been in litigation to stop E15 because they know most cars will not handle it. The main area of problem is valve seat recession. Most valves & valve seats materials have to be upgraded. Also corrision of aluminum cyl heads behind valve seat into the water jacket. Ford has a patent on a special valve seat that lets this area breath to prevent this. I don't think the Boss 302 can handle E85 or Ford would have said flex fuel capable. I would not risk running on E85. Yes if the engine is set up to handle E85 it is a good alternative. Be careful.

Justin

Guys people have been running it in mustangs for years with no problems. Ford isn't going to say flex capable if they didn't tune it to be...

Here in Florida where I am at there are not a lot of choices of e85 just nowhere to be found. I do know it makes more power though so thats a great one. Isn't it supposed to be cheaper?

Drop in MPG usually more than makes up for lower cost, at least out here. Justin seems to have a handheld tuner or something to be able to swap tunes easily, which is important in case you get stuck somewhere with no e85.

Justin

CaliMR said:
Drop in MPG usually more than makes up for lower cost, at least out here. Justin seems to have a handheld tuner or something to be able to swap tunes easily, which is important in case you get stuck somewhere with no e85.
yeah I have a SCT handheld x3. thinking about getting the touch screen version as it holds 10 tunes I think where mine only stores 3 which is a bummer

I just sent the logs to shaun. again my timing is being pulled to 19 at 7.5k on the WOT pass. I have SUNCO gas in it now.....another reason for the E85 as no question in the type of fuel you are getting (unless its winter time). I hope its the fuel and not something else going on.........

I ran E85 and other bolt ons on my 2011 GT with Shaun's tune for almost 7k miles, never a problem, and that car ran its ASS off. I thought about putting an o/r pipe, CAI, 47's and a tune on my Boss but dont feel like it just yet. I sold my 2011 because I didnt want to have any warranty issues if something shot craps. In the mean time I just got the trackey for the Boss and I like it, but when I decide to not worry about a warranty anymore, I WILL be running the corn through it. Its not my daily driver so Im not worried about the 30% loss in MPG's. If your on the fence about E85, just get the 47's and do it, you WONT regret it.

Justin

I have read around 150 or more threads on the subject. To sum it up from what I have read is:

Most that have bad things to say about it never ran it themselves and they only report hear say and other rumors and myths they read from some other person that didnt know what they were talking about.....
E85 isnt ruining peoples fuel systems from what I have found
E85 will get a 25-30% hit in fuel mileage but factor in the 25-30% cheaper price vs 93 and it off sets itself
e70 winter blend equals out to 105 octane
e85 summer blend equals out to 109 octane
E85 on a bone stock car makes around 12rwhp/tq across the board(11-13 GT's) and ones with the usual bolt ons (headers, CAI, boss intake) make closer to 30 across the board.
An Air/Oil seperator is recommended when running it
Running a full synthetic that is SN rated is recommended but not required. (mobil 1, castrol both meet this)

There is plenty of hear say that I read but I am not going to post that as I dont want to continue to pass bad info.

Justin said:
I have read around 150 or more threads on the subject. To sum it up from what I have read is:

Most that have bad things to say about it never ran it themselves and they only report hear say and other rumors and myths they read from some other person that didnt know what they were talking about.....
E85 will get a 25-30% hit in fuel mileage but factor in the 25-30% cheaper price vs 93 and it off sets itself
E85 on a bone stock car makes around 12rwhp/tq across the board(11-13 GT's) and ones with the usual bolt ons (headers, CAI, boss intake) make closer to 30 across the board.

There is plenty of hear say that I read but I am not going to post that as I dont want to continue to pass bad info.

I HAVE ran it, and I agree with this post 100%.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
RSKtakR said:
Justin said:

I HAVE ran it, and I agree with this post 100%.

Agreed, ran E85 in my Evo for 2 years...fuel pump was fine when I inspected it (actually the filter was spotless). My tuner has run E85 in his Evo for about 5 years...lines, pump, etc. were perfectly fine.

That being said, I'm very interested to see what type of gains you'll see in an NA car. From my experience, the greatest gains from switching to E85 were on FI cars simply because you could throw a ton of boost and timing at the car with little to no detonation.

Are you planning to run the car on a dyno before and after the conversion? I'll be very curious to see how the car reacts to it.

TMO Supporting Vendors