The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

E85 Tunes have been ordered. Anyone else running E85?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostd4 said:
RSKtakR said:
Justin said:
I have read around 150 or more threads on the subject. To sum it up from what I have read is:

Most that have bad things to say about it never ran it themselves and they only report hear say and other rumors and myths they read from some other person that didnt know what they were talking about.....
E85 isnt ruining peoples fuel systems from what I have found
E85 will get a 25-30% hit in fuel mileage but factor in the 25-30% cheaper price vs 93 and it off sets itself
e70 winter blend equals out to 105 octane
e85 summer blend equals out to 109 octane
E85 on a bone stock car makes around 12rwhp/tq across the board(11-13 GT's) and ones with the usual bolt ons (headers, CAI, boss intake) make closer to 30 across the board.

There is plenty of hear say that I read but I am not going to post that as I dont want to continue to pass bad info.

I HAVE ran it, and I agree with this post 100%.

Agreed, ran E85 in my Evo for 2 years...fuel pump was fine when I inspected it (actually the filter was spotless). My tuner has run E85 in his Evo for about 5 years...lines, pump, etc. were perfectly fine.

That being said, I'm very interested to see what type of gains you'll see in an NA car. From my experience, the greatest gains from switching to E85 were on FI cars simply because you could throw a ton of boost and timing at the car with little to no detonation.

Are you planning to run the car on a dyno before and after the conversion? I'll be very curious to see how the car reacts to it.

Posted this on other forums...http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2979&highlight=manny

Justin said:
RSKtakR said:
Posted this on other forums...http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2979&highlight=manny
I seen that in my research :) I like those gains

so do I... and that was just with stock injectors... I ran my stock 2011 gt with just a K&N drop in, and a corn tune from them and ran 12.2@114 with a drag radial and 3.31's... Shaun's tune with Boss intake, CAI, o/r x-pipe, 47's and the corn felt GREAT and I was pulling from a couple of my friends 11 sec modded 2011 5.0's. Im curious to see what the gains would be on the Boss motor with a CAI and the 47's.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
Justin said:
seems its around 12 on an otherwise stock 11-13 gt.

I dont think I will get to do a before e85 tune and after.

If you're only looking at a 12whp gain (unless you can very easily get E85) I'd say abort the mission. I guess I'm a little jaded because I'm used to seeing huge gains when going to E85. I picked up 75whp and about 60wtq on my Evo with no changes other than the fuel and tune. It was worth it for me at the time even though there is only one E85 station within a reasonable distance from my house.

That link to the DFW forum had pretty decent gains, 30ish whp is nothing to scoff at...but again, my perspective is a little different ;D.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
They sell it on base here in Norfolk. Easy to get. And I have mods so I'm thinking I'd gain something in between. And getting good pump gas here seems to be challenging.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
Justin said:
They sell it on base here in Norfolk. Easy to get. And I have mods so I'm thinking I'd gain something in between. And getting good pump gas here seems to be challenging.

Well, I'll be checking in for the results. My Evo tuner wants to get his filthy paws on my Boss :D.

Justin

mine has a 91 sticker. But of coarse you don't just go put e85 in your Mustang...it would blow up more than likely. You have to retune the car to run it.....

Justin

conversion in progress. Got the car with an empty tank out there idling waiting for it to die so I can fill it up with 5 gallons of E85. Its been idling for ever now.

I tested it with my quick fuel tester and she is 85% no winter blend :)

Smells like moon shine and gasoline lol.

Justin said:
conversion in progress. Got the car with an empty tank out there idling waiting for it to die so I can fill it up with 5 gallons of E85. Its been idling for ever now.

I tested it with my quick fuel tester and she is 85% no winter blend :)

Smells like moon shine and gasoline lol.

Seeing as you're well into the process, it may be too late, but running your car out of gas until it dies is not a good idea. You could permanently damage your fuel pump, or cause it to fail completely. Not cheap to replace.

Good article on modern electric fuel pumps and why they fail here... http://www.agcoauto.com/content/plugins/p2_news/printarticle.php?p2_articleid=195

Justin

its not under load or spinning full steam. I know that the fuel is used to cool the pump. ITs just idling. if it eats a fuel pump I will let you know.

zzyzx

Steve
So what's the verdict, you still have a functional fuel pump?

You laying black rubber down in the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts now?

Justin

zzyzx said:
So what's the verdict, you still have a functional fuel pump?

You laying black rubber down in the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts now?
yeah the fuel pump is fine. runs very smooth. power hit down low is vastly improved. haven't made a full pull yet. there is an issue with it hanging rpms in between gear changes. contacted shaun said he caught the bug in his tune last night. wants me to data log and send him the logs and he will fix it. I give him the biggest props almost 24 hour a day customer service and quick responses unlike some other places.....

Justin

Just got back from doing data logs. the car just keeps getting better and better the more I drive it. So smooth crisp and it pulls like a f'ing freight train!!!! its not pulling a butt ton of timing anymore. the knock sensor didnt go off once. the rpm hang seems to be correcting itself the more I drive it.

Bad news the clutch on every pull to the 8 land would have the clutch stick to the floor I would have to pull it up with my foot and pump it twice to get it to allow me to go in gear. might buy a 20lb sledge to smash this clutch with when I take it out.

and that leads me to not take it to test and tune on the 28th. going to install the new clutch as soon as possible and if I have the break in done then I will go. otherwise I will just go with my buddy in his aed tuned gt and let him borrow my slicks.

TMO Supporting Vendors