The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

E85

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun@AED said:
LateApex said:
Shaun@AED said:
I run E85 in my Coyote.
12RWHP on the dyno and .1-.15 and 1mph in the 1/4.

I did have to upgrade the injectors. Otherwise the stock fuel system is up to the task.

So Shaun, if I were to do this with a Boss, you'd be up to the challenge with a tune?

Hmm, well that would seem to take care of the functional concerns. Did you also notice a cooler charge into the cylinders?

No problem at all. Done quite a few actually.
The Fuel lines / rails are stainless steel and are E85 compatible. Most Fuel injectors these days are also E85 compatible. The fuel tank is plastic.

LateApex said:
Shaun@AED said:
LateApex said:
Shaun@AED said:
I run E85 in my Coyote.
12RWHP on the dyno and .1-.15 and 1mph in the 1/4.

I did have to upgrade the injectors. Otherwise the stock fuel system is up to the task.

So Shaun, if I were to do this with a Boss, you'd be up to the challenge with a tune?

Hmm, well that would seem to take care of the functional concerns. Did you also notice a cooler charge into the cylinders?

No problem at all. Done quite a few actually.
The Fuel lines / rails are stainless steel and are E85 compatible. Most Fuel injectors these days are also E85 compatible. The fuel tank is plastic.

Too cool at WOT for E85 to burn complete actually.
I spent a LOT of time at the track dialing in the Maff temp compensation table (lb/min vs IAT with the output being Maff frequency divider). This table allows me to make fueling changes via LB/min airflow and Air temp without affecting the other calculations the Maff is used for (MAP, Load, Torque, etc).

The main drawback of E85 in these cars is the lack of a complete burn at low air temps. On a cold engine this will put fuel into the oil. It takes 30+ minutes of driving to get the crank case hit enough to burn off the alcohol in the oil. I run Royal Purple XPR oil as it does not absorb alcohol and therefore does not get degraded when runnin E85.

The oil swap + Maff temp compensation table solves the problem with low air temps and E85, however there is still the blend changes thruought the year.
I can account for blend changes via tune changes, but this requires extensive data logging on the customer end. Luckily the widebands automatically correct for fuel changes and always run 'Stoich' at idle / cruise. The adaptive fueling works quite well, and I use this data to 'find' Stoich for the Ethanol blend you run.

Basically we dial in a gasoline tune.
Swap to E85
Datalog adaptive fuel correction to find Stoich
Adjust Stoich in the tune which corrects the fuel trims
Datalog Air temp vs lb/min to dial in the Maff temp compensation table (already very close due to my testing)
And we are done untill the Ethanol blend changes as it does in colder climates.

TMO Supporting Vendors