The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

E85

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa, OK
You would gain approximately 10-15 hp and tq and your engine would run cooler. Personally I don't think it would be worth it for a DD but if it's your fun/weekend car then I say go for it. HP per $ wise, it's a pretty good mod. However, I may be a little biased :)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I run a E85 tune on my car in the summer and compared to the 93 tune it runs like an animal. I haven't had it dyno'd on 93 but my butt dyno tells me it makes a decent amount of power over the 93 tune. if you have easy access to it I would do the conversion. Depends on how much E85 cost you in your area and how much 93 costs you as to whether you would spend more to run E85. where I am at the MPD is cheaper with the 93 but just slightly.

It will require a tune and an injector swap. You will get a bigger gain if you install a CAI to go with it.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
Planning on this stuff myself. Probably going to run 92 on the street and E85 for track days. Siphoning the tank won't be fun but it will probably be worth it for the cooling effect.

Justin

Seven said:
Planning on this stuff myself. Probably going to run 92 on the street and E85 for track days. Siphoning the tank won't be fun but it will probably be worth it for the cooling effect.
I have a dump the tank tune. you unhook at the fuel rails and attach a fuel filter for an 05 up mustang and some fuel line to the end of that. load tune roll key pump stays on while car is off. comes included in the AED E85 tune. makes it easy. then hook it back up start and run car till it stalls. dump in new fuel. easy

roadhouse said:
You would gain approximately 10-15 hp and tq and your engine would run cooler. Personally I don't think it would be worth it for a DD but if it's your fun/weekend car then I say go for it. HP per $ wise, it's a pretty good mod. However, I may be a little biased :)

Sorry I may be full retard, 10-15 hp OVER 93? Have you changed injectors?? That is an issue I never considered figuring the mild mods. I have a hooptie, that's why I was thinking E85.

Justin said:
It will require a tune and an injector swap. You will get a bigger gain if you install a CAI to go with it.

What size injectors are you running?? I didn't read your list of mods. Could you explain your reasoning behind a CAI?? I've been on the fence, some bet the farm on CAI, others say it's money better spent elsewhere. Be aware, I am not at all doubting you, I think this is the best Mustang site and value any input.

One last question for everyone using E85. Do y'all regularly test the mix at the gas station??? Thanks

Justin

2012Boss302 said:
Sorry I may be full retard, 10-15 hp OVER 93? Have you changed injectors?? That is an issue I never considered figuring the mild mods. I have a hooptie, that's why I was thinking E85.

What size injectors are you running?? I didn't read your list of mods. Could you explain your reasoning behind a CAI?? I've been on the fence, some bet the farm on CAI, others say it's money better spent elsewhere. Be aware, I am not at all doubting you, I think this is the best Mustang site and value any input.

One last question for everyone using E85. Do y'all regularly test the mix at the gas station??? Thanks

you will need 47# injectors. I got them for like 250 I think.

maybe this will help you figure out the great CAI debate. if you buy a no tune required CAI it wont get you a gain at all really. this is because the maf housing is the same size as stock. one that is worth its salt will have a bigger MAF housing and the tube over all will be larger allowing more air to flow into the engine. but this requires a tune because the MAF count will be different and if you dont tune for it the engine will run lean and rough and possibly cause severe engine damage.

Is a Larger CAI worth power? Yes. Is it just the tune gaining you this power...no. I have an AED tune for the stock air box and AED tune for the Steeda Boss CAI and there is a power difference. And really a tune only no CAI isnt worth that much power peak wise just down low.

As for testing the fuel yes I do. Its a little glass tube that you add this much water and this much E85 and the gas will float to the top and it has lines telling you how much is what. in the winter they go to a E70 but the pump will still say E85.

Tulsa, OK
2012Boss302 said:

I don't ever test my E85. My tune was dialed in using true E85 so even if the mixture is E70 then my car will run a little rich but it won't be a big deal. The goal is to tune your car on the highest ethanol percentage that you will normally be using. If you tune for true E85 and then use a lower ethanol percentage mixture you will run rich. Now on the other hand, if you tune your car for E70 and then run E85 you will experience a lean condition. As Justin said, most E85 suppliers switch over to a E70 winter blend during colder months. This helps tremendously with cold starts and won't cause any issues if you are properly tuned.

Justin

2012Boss302 said:
See, this is why I like this site over the others.

Justin, do you run larger injectors to avoid longer on times??? That should be the end of my questions. Thanks guys
the larger injectors are needed cause you have to use more E85 and a boss with a bolt on will run its stock injectors near 100% duty cycle which is bad. So you upgrade to larger ones to keep at or below the 80% duty cycle.

Shaun at AED is the one that required me to get larger injectors prior to getting an E85 tune and I think most tuners also will require the upgrade as well.

Seven

Dacia Sandero
Justin said:
I have a dump the tank tune. you unhook at the fuel rails and attach a fuel filter for an 05 up mustang and some fuel line to the end of that. load tune roll key pump stays on while car is off. comes included in the AED E85 tune. makes it easy. then hook it back up start and run car till it stalls. dump in new fuel. easy
Was gonna shop around on a tune but that kinda sold me on AED.

Thanks sir!

TMO Supporting Vendors