The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Easy way to re-install brembo dowels/cotter pins?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi guys,

Did my pads a few times and fiddled with the dowels. It was easy to remove, but not easy to put back.
Is there a special tool used to hammer the dowels back in place? Unlike a more traditional setup, these dowels are friction fit rather than held on with pins.

What I have done is take an old pad and place it behind the pin (so there is a large area), and then whack it in slowly with a hammer. Surely there must be an easier/more precise way! It's hard to hammer it with that little space in the wheel wells... Help?

You have to make sure the tension from the "spring" is off them and they go in by finger until you get to the knurl, then a few light taps with a hammer get it done.

I just hammer them in, then use the same tool (that I used to push them out) to hammer them in again. Usually you can tell the pins are all the way in by listening to the tone change, while hammering them in.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cosm3os is right about the springs, you gotta hold it down for the second pin.

I usually put in one pin, then latch on the spring, then press down the spring and add the second pin.

I went to Home Depot and got a DASCO punch set with a small punch to knock the pins out, and a larger one just bigger than the other side of the pins to punch them back in.

drano38

Wayne
I use a couple 1/4" bolts, that I leave in my track tool tote. They have a slight recess on the tip to help stay on the pin end. And they're long enough to extend past the brake line so I don't hit it.
They are about 1.5" and 2" long. Cheap, and work well.

I use one of these. ;D

800371.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
I use one of these. ;D

[mg width=900 height=900]http://images.celebrateexpress.com/mgen/merchandiser/800371.jpg?zm=1600,1600,1,0,0[/img]

What do you use to re-attach the K-Member to the car?

drano38 said:
I use a couple 1/4" bolts, that I leave in my track tool tote. They have a slight recess on the tip to help stay on the pin end. And they're long enough to extend past the brake line so I don't hit it.
They are about 1.5" and 2" long. Cheap, and work well.

A few years ago I had Brenbo,s on my Panoz. Panoz offered a caliper pin with a small clip on the point to keep them in place. No hamer was required. If anyone could find these I would like a couple of sets. If anyone is in Atlanta drive over and see if they have them and are the same size. Thanks, Jim

Use a wool pad to clean the pins before reinstall. That's what I do and they slip in until it gets to the knurl. Then just a few taps with a hammer.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel