The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Easy way to remove front grille ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
My 302S grille is ready to mount - anyone have an easy way to remove the stock grille without removing bumper, etc? I'm sure I'm not seeing the obvious (or hope !) - I removed the four pop-out plastic rivets as well as the screw/washer assemblies just at the inside of each headlight. The grille assembly is looser now but not loose enought for me to get at the tabs that hold in the grille.

Pete- there are eight plastic plugs you remove in addition to the two 8mm bolts. Then remove the plastic radiator cover and set aside. There are two tabs on each end of the grille that you need to push back enough to clear the catch. I just use a small flat screwdriver but obviously careful not to scratch any exposed painted parts.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
cloud9 said:
Pete- there are eight plastic plugs you remove in addition to the two 8mm bolts. Then remove the plastic radiator cover and set aside. There are two tabs on each end of the grille that you need to push back enough to clear the catch. I just use a small flat screwdriver but obviously careful not to scratch any exposed painted parts.

Thanks - that's what I get for trying to start to work on it at 5 AM without any coffee ??? The lower side tabs were a bit-- but I got it out. I was assuming (silly me) that the Mustang emblem was held in with speed nuts - looks like it's glued in so that's another $70 cost. I really should have gone with the Rousch billet grille ;D

PeteInCT said:
cloud9 said:

Thanks - that's what I get for trying to start to work on it at 5 AM without any coffee ??? The lower side tabs were a bit-- but I got it out. I was assuming (silly me) that the Mustang emblem was held in with speed nuts - looks like it's glued in so that's another $70 cost. I really should have gone with the Rousch billet grille ;D

I read somewhere that it was double side tape, so maybe you can pry at it carefully with an exacto knife?

PS: interested in your 302s grille project as thats my next move too :)

PeteInCT

Connecticut
rom said:
PeteInCT said:
cloud9 said:

I read somewhere that it was double side tape, so maybe you can pry at it carefully with an exacto knife?

PS: interested in your 302s grille project as thats my next move too :)

ROM - Yes it appears to be a thin double stick tape adhesive, but I don't want to damage the original grille in any way. If I used some thin strong wire (i.e. guitar string) I could probably cut through all the tape without damaging the emblem but I'd rahter not chance it. This way when I'm done I'll have two complete grilles. I may have the 302S one painted red around the outside like the original, I want to see what ot looks like all flat black.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Here's the pics with the 302S grille installed with the left and right side also opened with a Dremel tool.

So far I actually like the all black look in the front - looks a little more 'badass' ;D The Mustang emblem will break that up a little, should be in on Monday. I'll post another pic with it on.

2011-12-18_13-02-45_216.jpg

2011-12-18_13-02-19_448.jpg

2011-12-18_13-02-31_744.jpg

I like it! If you are not happy with it and want to get the cobra jet grill, let me know, we can work something out. I'm planning on buying that grill come spring and doing the white surround like the Miller cars

good job Pete! man you worked it quick! so it wasn't too hard to install? did you have to remove the bumper or did you manage without?

Maui
Nice modification. Did you buy another stock grille and put the wire mesh yourself? Or did you buy the whole grille like that already? Good job.
;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Its the 302SLaguna grill from FRPP with the left and right vents opened up with a dremel tool. See thread entries above.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Its between the right side of it and the openings I made with the dremel tool. Should push some air though it.

To direct more air toward the opening which would otherwise be spread toward the radiator/condenser. Does the opening face forward ?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
The way it is now the CAI intake has a birds eye view of the outside air. There's nothing in front of it anymore so no deflection needed. Ill try to post a pic.

TMO Supporting Vendors