The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Eaton Truetrac Bearing Shims?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I can't seem to find an answer on this, maybe I'm imagining it. I'm in the middle of installing my Eaton Truetrac. Can I just install the bearings on the carrier or do I need to remove the bearings from the factory diff and get the inboard shims? Its seems like there were shims under the bearings but no shims came with the install kit.
unnamed.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Assuming you did not remove the pinion gear, and after you install your ring gear to the new carrier, you’ll need washers to center up the ring gear to pinion gear backlash.

Start the process by using the same carrier bearing shim setup you found on the unit you removed. I suggest painting the ring gear teeth after it’s installed.

Let us know how it goes.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Yes, I'm aware of the shims OUTBOARD of the bearings. For some reason I thought there was a shim INBOARD of the bearings(where the red arrow is pointing) but maybe I'm thinking of something else.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel