The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
It's always a touchy subject correlating to competitors, and whilst we aren't able to provide comparison charts against competitor pads I can enlighten you on some of our own graphs and findings through tests.

^^^This.
The mu number gives you some idea of the overall stopping power and the temp data gives you an idea of how it will act through a brake zone or when altering cooling to achieve a certain running temp, but there are a lot of intangibles in brake pads. Anyone can make a high mu pad. The hit, modulation & release are all very important and difficult to quantify. What works well for one car or person may not work for another.

EBC Brakes

Supporting Vendor
^^^This.
The mu number gives you some idea of the overall stopping power and the temp data gives you an idea of how it will act through a brake zone or when altering cooling to achieve a certain running temp, but there are a lot of intangibles in brake pads. Anyone can make a high mu pad. The hit, modulation & release are all very important and difficult to quantify. What works well for one car or person may not work for another.
Very correct, and different drivers will always prefer different feels.

sfo
As the charts indicate, the RP-1 is comparable to Hawk DTC-50 and the RP-X is like DTC-60, but from our race technician we believe the RP-1 is more comparable to DCT-60 and the RP-X the DTC-70.
This leads us to believe that the Gloc R12 and ST-43 are more like the RP-1, but potentially lower life than RP-1.
Rotor wear is super important too. If a pad lasts forever but eats the rotor you loose more than you gain. The Hawk is rumored to be quite hard on rotors. The carbotechs on the other hand seem very kind on rotors and I would suspect the Glocs too being really a carbotech off shoot.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I don't find Hawk DTC-50s hard on rotors at all, that's running Ford blanks. But, coming from an endurance racing background I tend to get a lot of mileage out of pads and rotors. The two tracks I run at are very different on brakes, Mosport pretty easy on brakes with only 2 hard braking zones while Shannonville gives them a pretty stout workout.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would concur with the EBC Representative's comments, the G-Loc and Carbotechs are quite friendly on rotors . They are similar because two members of the Pushkar family, who owned Carbotech, decided to form their own company. So no surprise the pads are similar, and my only recommendation after using both over the years is to get them pre-bedded. I found Hawks hard on rotors compared to Cartbotechs/G-Locs though my biggest complaint was the lack of feel when racing cars without ABS. The Hawks grabbed hard during a race with little warning before lockup ( that meant flat spotted tires for budget racers ) and I always felt the Carbotechs and G-Locs gave a progressive warning, seldom causing me to lockup. Nice to have ABS now, because that is one less thing to worry about now, ha.

Nice to have a Brake pad manufacturer on here and I imagine many folks will be looking forward to the new EBC products, tests, advice and help on TMO.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
I found Hawks hard on rotors compared to Cartbotechs/G-Locs though my biggest complaint was the lack of feel when racing cars without ABS. The Hawks grabbed hard during a race with little warning before lockup ( that meant flat spotted tires for budget racers )

I've found the same thing over the years with different Hawk products. They tend to have a ton of bite and high mu, but are hard on discs and are not easy to modulate.

TMO Supporting Vendors