The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

EBC Brakes Pad Giveaway - March

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBC Brakes

Supporting Vendor
We're back with another Brake Pad Giveaway, we will be giving one set of pads (front or rear) to one randomly selected forum member from our entire range, just by participating in the below thread!

In past giveaways We have discussed our first cars, garage and storage spaces, famous people we have met or would like to have met and weird and wonderful vehicles amongst other topics.

For this giveaway we would like to start a discussion for all new drivers; what top tip would you give to your younger self when learning to drive? Either as a complete beginner on the streets or for your first time hitting the track, what valuable lesson do you wish you knew that you can bless a younger generation with?

The lucky winner will be randomly selected and announced within a few days after the closing date of 1st April 2022 and details will be posted on this forum within a few days of the closing date.

Please be aware that this thread may appear in more than one section on the forum and one winner will be selected from the whole forum, not a winner per thread.
Pad choice will be based on availability and where a chosen pad is unavailable, an alternative will be offered.

If you are not the lucky winner, EBC Brakes are pleased to be able to offer a 10% discount off their braking products to all members of the forum community using code FORUM10USER
This discount code can be redeemed at EBC Brakes Direct | EBC Brake Pads | EBC Brake Discs or with our USA partners at Perfect Brakes | EBC Brake Pads | EBC Rotors

Any questions or application issues please let us know.

GOOD LUCK………

EBC Brakes’ Range of High-Performance Automotive Braking Products

When it comes to performance aftermarket braking components, there aren’t many names that are embedded as deeply into the scene as EBC Brakes.

EBC Brakes is an independently owned and managed brake manufacturer, employing over 400 people across the UK and US, and produces the world’s largest range of brake pads and discs for virtually anything with wheels.

Supplying some of the best-selling ranges of brake pads and rotors for the majority of cars, EBC Brakes is a solid choice when it comes to improving your stopping power.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
One change at a time. Driver included. Learn the car, learn it’s short comings, learn yours. Improve one at a time. Start with the driver, once the cars is safe. Ensure the brakes, helmet and harnesses come first. Drive with an instructor………and listen. Bad habit on top of new parts may yield improvements, may. It may also cost you a car or more. Good habits before better parts will lead to Safer faster times. Smooth is fast.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
The middle of a corner is the wrong place to have a crisis of confidence. My much younger street-driving self had an unfortunate encounter with that lesson - mid-corner lift resulted in facing the wrong way and an introduction to a k-rail. I think of that phrase every time I go through turn 12 at Road Atlanta.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
With smoothness comes speed. Not the reverse.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
Stop trying to go faster by using the gas pedal and start to learn to put the car in the same spot each lap. Reference points, reference points, reference points for all the inputs.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Don't miss the simple stuff, because so many times during an Inspection at a track the new driver tells us he has a brand new set of more aggressive pads and then when asked when he changed his brake fluid and if he is running a solid DOT 4 the comment is , " The fluid looks good and I changed it a couple of years ago."

That safety and performance upgrade was only half way completed!!!

Keep in mind, new drivers, brake fluid has an affinity to moisture and that reduces it's hear resistance. Changing after every track weekend is my prescription to avoid brake fade , but please do it at least after every two weekends!

PS - thanks EBC for your Sponsorship, your updates and technical data , and even doing a Contest here on TMO!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Biggsy, perfect post and one benefit I had in my early days of playing on track. Like many others I could only afford a few things at a time, so I learned to drive the car with what I had, and later I felt learning to drive with what I had made me a better driver. It also forced me to adapt and I often tell new drivers that getting the important things first ( tires , brakes ) will help them more than anything and to buy other upgrades as they can.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
First track day I did with the Mustang it was a bone stock PP1, as delivered. That gave me some real insight into the strengths and weaknesses of the platform on a race track. Compared to the cars I last raced back in the 90s I was very impressed with what it could do right off the showroom floor. There were no bad habits at all in the handling, the limitations were clearly the tires, the rest of the car was pretty much up to the task.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I never drove my 2011 GT with Brembo package on the track bone stock. The car was a few years old and had about 45,000 miles on it before it ever saw a track. I upgraded the springs/shocks/struts early on for street use before knowing it would ever be on track. I couldn't take the body roll and brake dive. The suspension upgrades made for a much more composed car. I did have stock 255/40/19 Pirelli P-zero's and Hawk HPS street pads the first time on track (Sebring). I outgrew the tires and brake pads pretty quickly just a couple of events. I didn't realize how bad the brakes actually were until upgrading to track pads.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
EF1 --- having run at Sebring a couple of times I can sure imagine how much you appreciated a switch to race pads. Turn 17 might get even more intimidating on stock pads once they got a little " Sebring " temperature in them, ha!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Sebring was my first time on track ever with any car. I drove the car the 750 miles down there with what I could fit in the car including my wife and all of her luggage. It was an experience I will never forget and the experience that started this insanity. It was memorial weekend so the temps were only in the high 90's.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
What a wimp you are Eric, running at Sebring in the high 90s, and complaining about it , ha! Geez, you entered trial by fire ( literally ) and if after that you decided tracking your car was something you wanted to do, you are a true TMO TrackRat and your wife must be something special to go along with you?! Great story and it is always fun to hear what track or autocross event got folks started and I have to admit that the journey can begin differently for so many, but the passion is the same for all of us. Welcome to the Club of Circuit Crazies and driving 750 miles to sweat at Sebring is part of the prescription for your
disease cure!

TMO Supporting Vendors