The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

EBC Brakes Pad Giveaway - March

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
It gets better. It was the last Track Guys/Camp Steeda event at Sebring. I had bought some things from Steeda and received a mass email on the event around my birthday that year. I thought this might be fun and booked it on a whim. I had no idea what to expect. The instructor I was paired up with got car sick on me. We had to pull off to the side of the track on a straight where he vomited. Of course the black flag came out and I had my first experience with the grid nazi. Jeff Lacina talked with my instructor and they decided to let me finish the session solo on my first track event ever. I am still not sure how they rationalized that, but I survived. Jeff didn't have any spare instructors so he jumped in with me for the last session of the day. That was around 7 years ago. A lot has changed, the car is no longer driven to track events, but trailered. Taking the truck and trailer means I can even take a spare tires. That first event at Sebring I didn't even have a spare for the car if something happened on the drive down or back.

For your first time on track: take an experienced driver with you! Regardless of what your car is or how it is set-up... take an experienced driver with you to coach you through the track, to understand the line, brake points, apexes, etc - the absolute basics for a first-timer on track.

EBC Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Don't miss the simple stuff, because so many times during an Inspection at a track the new driver tells us he has a brand new set of more aggressive pads and then when asked when he changed his brake fluid and if he is running a solid DOT 4 the comment is , " The fluid looks good and I changed it a couple of years ago."

That safety and performance upgrade was only half way completed!!!

Keep in mind, new drivers, brake fluid has an affinity to moisture and that reduces it's hear resistance. Changing after every track weekend is my prescription to avoid brake fade , but please do it at least after every two weekends!

PS - thanks EBC for your Sponsorship, your updates and technical data , and even doing a Contest here on TMO!
Congratulations @Bill Pemberton , You are the winner! Please PM your full vehicle details (make, model, year & engine size) in the 'conversations', as well as your choice of pads and any part number (Can be found in the link in our signature) along with your full name and shipping address. Thank you to everyone who participated. Remember FORUM10USER code gets you 10% discount...

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well thank you Extraordinary Brake Corporation ( EBC ) not only for sponsoring TMO, but doing special things like giveaways and technical support. The 2021 Mach 1 will be running in both SCCA and NASA Time Trials so the pads will get a work out and I will definitely be happy to post about their prowess. I had experience with your pads, years ago, for customers who wanted low dust accumulation on their wheels and yours were always the first choice in that arena. Glad to see you are getting into very serious high temp racing pads too, and I look forward to the new set . And thanks from my Mustang --- you Mach my Day!!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heh, EF1, you need to put Sept.16-18 on your Calendar for the " Fast Fords and Mustang Roundup " in Hastings, Nebraska, as it would be a wonderful reunion for you remembering your first track event ever a Sebring. See, your savior and willing Instructor , Jeff Lacina ( who also won his Class in One Lap of America in a Mustang years back ) is the new Track Manager at Motorsports Park Hastings. You can race with a bunch of other Mustangs and fast Fords and you and I can test out those EBC brake pads -----

Jeff was really helpful in getting the new track surface there that is super easy on tires, as he is also the same guy that got the new paving done in Topeka and up until now it was the track easiest on tires in the entire Midwest!

Sorry for the little hijack EBC, but EF1 brought up the story under your cool giveaway story that also discussed the important things for folks to remember to do at the track to have fun and be safe.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks, it will soon be a Mach 1 with a new set of EBC brake pads , which makes me want to " Brake Dance," and if you come to Hastings you can stay at my pad, just to throw you a line, and you can't stop me now! Remember , Hastings is in Nebraska so just follow the Brake Trail , er, Trail Brake to get here and the track requires the caliper of skill I am sure you already have acquired. So after a hearty " Brakefast " we can get everyone on track for a little disc oh car dancing and I am pumped up if you could make it ---- yes, it would be a make or brake it ,occasion!

Music provided at the Mustang Roundup by Billy Ray Cyrus, singing his hit record , " Achy , Brakey, Heart!"

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Heh, EF1, you need to put Sept.16-18 on your Calendar for the " Fast Fords and Mustang Roundup " in Hastings, Nebraska, as it would be a wonderful reunion for you remembering your first track event ever a Sebring. See, your savior and willing Instructor , Jeff Lacina ( who also won his Class in One Lap of America in a Mustang years back ) is the new Track Manager at Motorsports Park Hastings. You can race with a bunch of other Mustangs and fast Fords and you and I can test out those EBC brake pads -----

Jeff was really helpful in getting the new track surface there that is super easy on tires, as he is also the same guy that got the new paving done in Topeka and up until now it was the track easiest on tires in the entire Midwest!

Sorry for the little hijack EBC, but EF1 brought up the story under your cool giveaway story that also discussed the important things for folks to remember to do at the track to have fun and be safe.
I have had that one on my radar for a couple years now, but not sure when I can fit it in. It is 1,000 miles one way and I am still working and have to pick and choose what I do. Diesel fuel at $5/gal doesn't help either.

Thanks, it will soon be a Mach 1 with a new set of EBC brake pads , which makes me want to " Brake Dance," and if you come to Hastings you can stay at my pad, just to throw you a line, and you can't stop me now! Remember , Hastings is in Nebraska so just follow the Brake Trail , er, Trail Brake to get here and the track requires the caliper of skill I am sure you already have acquired. So after a hearty " Brakefast " we can get everyone on track for a little disc oh car dancing and I am pumped up if you could make it ---- yes, it would be a make or brake it ,occasion!

Music provided at the Mustang Roundup by Billy Ray Cyrus, singing his hit record , " Achy , Brakey, Heart!"
Had a few minutes to catch up on this thread during my "brake" at work.

This one mad e me chuckle. 😅

" makes me want to ' Brake Dance,' "

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Braking News:

If you are not using EBC brakes you may be " Braking Bad." They are great to stop you if you are traveling on track at " Brakeneck " speed, and that can be dangerous if you have the " Missouri Brakes!" I just figure if you are on track you need the pads that are " Groundbraking." Well, time for me to take a brake as I am sure many are starting to get tired of me jawing so much bought about everything and nothing ----- hmmm, would that make be a jawbraker!?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I am sure it is worth the pull. Jeff Lacina puts on a great event. I am already going to Gingerman in August and CMP the first weekend in October. I have to work sometime to pay for it all.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN

Let me know which EBC pads you go with and how you like them. I have been running GLocs, but am considering trying something else when I install the S550 6 piston Brembos.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Will definitely let you know as I will probably go full tilt boogie since I was running G-Locs also ( R18s up front and R10s in the rear). I found the balance with the Mustang ( with my Boss 302s, the Boss S, and my GT 350 ) all liked a lower temp pad in the rear and I always felt I had solid control even in severe braking or emergency maneuvers ( those do happen in W2W occasionally , ha ).

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have known Jeff for a very long time, actually helped him set up some of his initial Instructors back when he began TrackGuys, but I know he would want to give credit to others for the Mustang Event as he just recently took over the track as Manager ---- the best choice the Owners could have made in my estimation. The track was managed by George Anderson for years, but issues with his wife's health and to a certain degree his, meant he needed to finally step down. Jeff had come to Hastings numerous times to help with different things, and those of us who knew him well were tickled to death that ownership offered him the position. I know George Anderson thought Jeff was the best choice too, and that made his life easier knowing someone as sharp as Jeff was taking over.

My favorite thing about Lacina is he was very instrumental in getting Topeka ( Heartland Motorsports Park ) repaved and it is super easy on tires. The joke was if you came with tires loaded up with clagg ( all the rubber buildup everyone usually got with the used Pirelli or Michelin race tires) a single session at Topeka and they would clean up like new. I stopped blading all that tire crap off if I was going there, because they did seem to get polished back to gemstone rubber with some fast laps. Well , Jeff, suggested a few things from his Topeka experience and Werner Construction ,who had done the track initially, laid down a similar surface only better with new technology. Werner Construction's owner is a super gearhead himself and one of the original owners and he even purchased a new asphalt machine that allowed only two seams on the track --- this is super unusual as most will have 3 seams at a minimum, so Hastings is now incredibly smooth and no extra surface ridges.

Fun track and if my luck holds out I will make it there three times this year. The town is super easy to get around, folks are very supportive , and the is racing fuel just 1/2 mile down the road.

TMO Supporting Vendors