The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ecoboost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfo
Did you guys know that crate ecoboost motors are NLA from Ford? IMO the biggest advantage to racing a Ford or GM car is the available super reliable crate motors.

Unfortunately the 2.3 Ecoboost motors are open deck, no cylinder support at the top. Generally a no-no for a boosted motor. So while I’d prefer to run an oem built motor (which is why I’m now swapping g to coyote) if I were tracking or especially racing an Ecoboost I’d suggest anyone doing it to replace the head bolts for studs in hopes that the increased clamping force would hold it together. Stock bolts didn’t do it for me. And when I called all the Ecoboost engine builders and tuners it turns out there are very few people tracking or racing these motors so not much data on what is a reliable setup. Plenty of drag racers and streetcars but not too many road racers.

Yeah and glad Phoenix is doing it so they can figure it out. Much needed. Granted I was running more power than stock but there’s also quite a few people who end up with failing HG’s with stock motors just street driven.

Yeah and glad Phoenix is doing it so they can figure it out. Much needed. Granted I was running more power than stock but there’s also quite a few people who end up with failing HG’s with stock motors just street driven.
I have no idea what the HP numbers are on that but that is the porkiest Mustang of the bunch at something like 3600 pounds, it still hauls the mail pretty good though, even with a restrictor

I have no idea what the HP numbers are on that but that is the porkiest Mustang of the bunch at something like 3600 pounds, it still hauls the mail pretty good though, even with a restrictor

Well I guess everything is relative, but at about 270whp (typical stock dyno) that gives you 13.3lbs/hp, not exactly fast. Also they drop 50-80hp from peak to redline in stock trim.

Don’t get me wrong I bought my Ecoboost because I specifically wanted one, but it just didn’t seem like enough power for this heavy chassis (for me at least). In a 2500lbs car though with basic bolt ons it would be a damn good time.

TMO Supporting Vendors