The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Eibach R1 coil overs or Ford racing kit with P springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi I was looking at getting the Ford racing suspension kit with the sway bars, D shocks and P springs, panhard bar etc.. The price comes out pretty close to a set of Eibach R1 coil overs. Am I missing some thing by not going straight to coil overs??

See post #46. I think they are a nice option for the price point.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6229.0

Another reasonable option is the Koni coli over kit from CorteX. For a little more money this might be a better option and for $300 more you can upgrade to double adjustable dampers. The kit is available with either track or street/track springs.

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/xtreme-grip-coil-over-system-track/

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
See post #46.
This one?
NFSBOSS said:
Photos of the Eibach coil overs. They are fully made in their CA facility and look to be a great option at this price point. The rep said for most the single adjustable R1's are probably the way to go. The added cost for the double adjustable with reservoir might not add much.

IMG_1400_zpsa11e9d74.jpg
IMG_1399_zps6409904e.jpg

Photos of the JRi coil over setup. They are working with both CorteX and Maximum Motorsports on setups. The main difference between the two is different valving. Just different opinions on how to setup our cars from the two shops. You can also buy an off the shelf package with the JRi valving. Second photo shows the strut insert. They rebuild each damper for $50 and do all their own work. Fully US made. This looks to be a hot setup for our cars and if anyone is seriously interested in this shoot me a PM and we can chat offline.

IMG_1437_zps4097e73b.jpg
IMG_1438_zpsfd776170.jpg

The first thing I would say is to make sure you are comparing real prices and not just list prices. Nobody pays list price for FR stuff.

Next, the coil-overs don't negate the need for a panhard bar, swaybars, or any of those other components. So those costs remain.

That's all I can think of. This looks like a nice setup. Good luck!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Very nice setup! I will have to sharpen the pencil a little. The main advantage to the springs etc vs coil overs is that you can get them in small bits instead of one big one (Plus all the other parts as mentioned!). I do not have a clear idea how much better the car would handle with coil overs vs springs. To me the main advantage would be variable ride height, but can't see my self changing height at the track!!

Splatter said:
Very nice setup! I will have to sharpen the pencil a little. The main advantage to the springs etc vs coil overs is that you can get them in small bits instead of one big one (Plus all the other parts as mentioned!). I do not have a clear idea how much better the car would handle with coil overs vs springs. To me the main advantage would be variable ride height, but can't see my self changing height at the track!!

There's also corner balancing, being somewhat able to pick your roll centers and having some flexibility around spring rates to alter the car's balance to your liking.
In general, coilovers are most certainly the way to go.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Would the MM camber plates work with Coil overs?? Or do I need to get new ones?.... Looking at the posts, I guess it I should start with the Sway bars and go from there. If I am running 275/35-19 square do I need to think about a thicker rear bar??

TMO Supporting Vendors