The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Eibach rear control arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Installed Eibach adjustable lower rear control arms today. Took 20 minutes a side, easy install. They are set currently to stock length and I would like to know what the proper pinion angle setting should be and the best way to measure it. My understanding is the transmission output and the pinion angle should ideally be set parallel to each other. Anyone have any tips for the best setup on S197 Mustangs. Looking to get the power down better, no axle hop but lots of wheel spin on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Gary
I run the m-5300-p springs about 1.25" lowered from stock, no brackets installed. I did a shakedown run this morning and there is a definite different feel to the rear and the one hard launch I tried seemed to have a better hook than before. Another benefit is weight loss, stock arms are 6.4 lbs each, Eibachs are 3.6, total weight savings -5.6 lbs. :D If you can give me the pinion angle setting. Thanks
Steve

I believe parallel to each other would be in the ball park so to speak. But for high horse power cars minus 3 degrees on the pinion would compensate for torque or deflection. The amount of deflection also depends on the type of bushings you have. Thats what I ran on my GT 500 when I lowered it for 40,000 miles with out any issues if that helps.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Just got the M-5650-A LCA relocation brackets. Has anyone done the install or have an instruction sheet. I didn't get one and have searched. There are 2 distinct shapes and one has a top bolt and the other doesn't. Probably can figure it out but help is appreciated.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Thanks Gary
Looks like you have the control arm in the upper hole and used the bolt that came with the bracket. I will set mine up the same. One last request since I have the Eibachs can you measure your Ford Racing CAs center to center length, I can adjust if they are longer than stock.
Steve

steveespo said:
Thanks Gary
Looks like you have the control arm in the upper hole and used the bolt that came with the bracket. I will set mine up the same. One last request since I have the Eibachs can you measure your Ford Racing CAs center to center length, I can adjust if they are longer than stock.
Steve
I was told the upper hole is where most of the race teams are running them. The 302Ss were shipped with them in the lower hole initially, but after testing they moved them up.

I come up with 19" center to center.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
steveespo said:
Thanks Gary
Steve
I was told the upper hole is where most of the race teams are running them. The 302Ss were shipped with them in the lower hole initially, but after testing they moved them up.

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/49604.pdf
Thanks again Gary, IIRC 19" is the stock length. Appreciate the help, should take longer to get the car up on stands than to install the parts. I also got the BMR rear floor pan stiffening bracket with built in drive shaft loop to install. Combined adding 9lbs back onto the car so I have to find that. Thinking about the BMR tubular K member, supposedly stiffer and loses 19 lbs up front be a fair weight savings and good overall weight transfer.
Steve

I come up with 19" center to center.

TMO Supporting Vendors