The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Electric cars... the cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't know, or can't remember if it considers the replacement of batteries. My guess is the batteries will almost never need replacing. The value of the vehicles at the 15+ year point will likely be dictated by current range.

I get that you're totally against EV's, but you're coming across like a coconut who'd rather have bank tellers and long lines instead of ATMs. Just because there's an existing workforce in a certain industry, that doesn't mean that industry should be protected at all costs.

You're probably right about the taxes. Let that be a lesson to the young folks. Choose a career where you make so much money taxes don't really matter, because the liberals will certainly come after your wallet.
No, I'm a free market guy, whenever government dictates the winners and losers, we all lose. If the market decides that electric is the way to go, fine.. IC engines will gradually phase out and another phase in, same with the industry, to dictate that in 2030 we will all be electric is authoritarian BS.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
They'll keep rearranging the deck on us. When I was in Norway during summer of 2019, I noticed an amazing number of Teslas. I've never seen so many. They had a ton for rental as well. I asked the guy about it when I returned the car. He said that they had a rule where you were not charged road tolls if you had an EV, so everyone was gobbling up the EVs (which I could understand...the tolls were obscene...I spent $400 on tolls in 2 days). But then he dropped the bomb...the no-toll policy was going to be dropped the following year.
1621633178798.png

the other thing (one of the other things) is that they are figuring road costs based on available electricity, if... if they removed the massive amount of fuel tax, the ICE cars would be much more viable, in comparison, and you just know those taxes are going to be figured in sooner or later. Government has never seen a tax it could live without.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Ct has one of the highest gas taxes in the nation...you know when that starts shriveling up, there will be some other taxes to replace it....you can bet the ranch on that!!!!
Our tax here converts to $1.34 per US gallon and we're far from the highest province in the country. Vancouver BC's tax converts to $1.87 US gallon.
How does that compare to what you're paying? I think we are more heavily taxed than below the 49th.

Been so long since I've been out of the country that I totally forget what gas prices are like down there.
Sadly.....:mad::confused::(:mad:

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
So does that also include the emissions (non greenhouse) of the replacement batteries and the disposal of same at the end of the car's lifetime?
While we're at it, besides destroying an entire industry (auto repair) has any of these coconuts figured out how much taxes are on gasoline, both at the state and local level? Because those taxes basically pay for road construction and repair, along with infrastructure projects and right of ways.. that will vanish.
But I'm sure that the electrics will be spun as much cheaper while a tax is created based on mileage, income, or whatever these guys can dream up.

CA tries to get the tax revenue from annual registration and (I think) mileage via insurance. So EVs are taxed a couple of ways but ICEs are paying the ‘bonus’ gas taxes on top of those.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Tyme. Good data. Was looking for state and local sales and excise taxes also. Driving nort from the gulf Friday and I saw a $0.35 jump in cost when I crossed over into Illinois, oh boy. With a 50 Gallon tank I was glad I stopped in MO. $0.29 difference in state taxes, likely a bit more in sales tax state and local.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It’s amazing what we can get used to. We have our gas prices here in Chile at nearly 5 bucks a gallon and 50% of that is taxes!! In the mean time,
country has a huge Hydro potential, but the white river rafting crowd has killed any new dam project.…. And, to top it off, they do not even live here.

TMO Supporting Vendors