The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Electric cars... the cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When quarterly numbers are the only thing that matters, institutional knowledge suffers.
Those who live by those numbers die a slow and miserable death.........................my faith teaches me to enjoy every minute I have as soon as I can!!!!!.....driving my Boss makes that easy to handle................and my Hon amplifies the fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
What's the charge to charge your car???...Can you do it in your garage???.....Are charging stations charging a fee now???.....When We finally switch to electric, will the price to keep you going rise.......................................I'm just wondering how all that will happen......will this put a strain on our electric grid....any ideas?????????

Last edited:

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
The biggest con: Tesla ‘Autopilot’

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
But no way in hell will I let it drive me. Would rather have it fly me.... then drive me. Nuts.
Reminds me of a conversation I had with a pilot. “Tracy, don’t worry. There is nothing to bump into up there. “. He was explaining to me why it was OK to take off with a hung over co-pilot. I did agree with his assessment of few obstacles in the sky. I’d did disagree with his tolerance of alcohol in the cockpit. I won. Lol.
Computer controlled flight is not that much of a challenge Once airborne and away from others with professional controllers monitoring your progress. On the ground, traveling on one way taxiways, other controllers advise and monitor traffic which travels at less than 40 MPH. Something to think about.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
When I was going through the extrication class for EVs and Hybrids, it was brutal. In most cars, you just have to work around the 75 air bags they now have in the car (which are really pretty redundant if you are forced to wear a seat belt) once you avoid triggering them, you then discover the voltage is about 300 volts, with enough amperage to weld steel, once you avoid that, then you have to deal with the fact that the cars are mostly aluminum to save weight, and that if the battery container is compromised, the battery will react violently with... wait for it.. aluminum.
Keep in mind you are doing all of this on a car that has already been compromised by having been wrapped around a light pole, and that, according to the EV manufacturers, you have to babysit in an impound lot for at least 24 hours to make sure it doesn't reignite.
That was 10 years ago, I'm sure now it's even a bigger cluster than it was then.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Batteries are going to be a problem. Vehicles get torn up in accidents all the time and those batteries aren't going to help. As we get more of these vehicles on the road these events will only multiply. I'm also not buying this autonomous vehicle crap. So we kill some people so the dumb ass can check out the latest Facebook posts while his car drives him around.

The lazy folks will let computers drive for them while they pretty themselves...The ones who know better will drive with their own destiny in mind...............can you see where I stand on this???????????????....Cars came with a steering wheel and a gas pedal and a brake pedal for a reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
It's becoming a commonplace event.

Followed the link, and there was a video of Sec. of Energy Jennifer Granholm and White House National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy driving around in a Chevy Bolt. When Granholm climbs into the passenger seat, she does remember to wear her seat belt but she pushes the shoulder belt behind her arm, so it's completely ineffective. How did the White House communications office think that was okay to release?

TMO Supporting Vendors