The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Electric Exhaust Cutouts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are the QTP cutouts here the best way to go for the Boss or are there other options that are better for some reason?

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/302/index.php

Is a hardwired switch the best way to go or the remotes? If hardwired, where are the best switch locations?

What's been the experience of those who have tried electric cutouts? Any exhaust (leak) noise or other problems?

I've been getting some questions and think there may be a father's day gift in the works. :)

I have the remote and you can adjust it from outside the car. I don't have an exhaust leak, it goes in place of plates and spacer. Perfect fit, no leaks. Just bench test it to make sure the butterfly valve moves freely before installing it, that will save you some headaches.

racered302 said:
I have the remote and you can adjust it from outside the car. I don't have an exhaust leak, it goes in place of plates and spacer. Perfect fit, no leaks. Just bench test it to make sure the butterfly valve moves freely before installing it, that will save you some headaches.

Is there any downside to the remote? Is there one for each side or just a single remote? It seems like the easiest way to go.

I would also like to hear input about these cutouts! The remote would be fantastic if it works as advertised.

GottaBoss said:
Is there any downside to the remote? Is there one for each side or just a single remote? It seems like the easiest way to go.

No, you can hang it off your keychain or throw it in the glovebox. You don't have to worry about mounting the toggle switch either. I installed the remote receiver under the center console by the back storage compartment, plenty of room.When you operate the remote they both open and close at the same time, the same as with the toggle switch, as long as it's not hanging up, they open and close at the same speed. I didn't benchtest mine and one dragged so they were out of sync. Filed the burr off and they are fine and it been almost 2 years. I love mine.

Thanks for all the info. racered.

I'm a little surprised that no one else here has installed them.

I actually made these my FIRST mod to my 2013 Boss. At home, our bedroom is right above the garage so it's nice that I can have the exhausts shut in the early mornings when I leave for work to not wake my wife and baby.

They're VERY easy to install physically. Running the wires isn't TOO bad either, the trick is to route them so they're not dangling. The driver's side is easy because there is a plastic shield that covers the fuel lines etc, and here the wires can tuck under it. On the passenger side you'll have to zip tie the wires along the bottom of the car. There are two plastic plugs that lead just behind the seats under the carpet, it's super easy to route the wires through these and under the carpet into the center console. Just use the lighter power and ground for the switch and you're done.

I didn't find any benefit from the wireless remote, it's more money and the switch stays hidden in the armrest console the way I installed mine. The wireless would be cool if you wanted to put the access to the switches someplace that routing wires would be a struggle, but there really aren't too many spots like that in our cars.

I use them every day without issues (knock on wood). Best money I spent on any car I've owned IMO.

I run mine up under the shift boot, probs not the best way but it was the easiest. I protected the wires so they don't rub through but the boot is not sealed all the way. That was my chose and I sealed it with the dynomat from the MDW kit. Some have run it through the brace underneath and in through the firewall sound tube port. Sounded like too much work for me. Don't get me wrong I don't half ass things but I don't do extra work for nothing ether. If you troll some of the more popular forums you find the best way that works for you.

TMO Supporting Vendors